Author Topic: Qsave Error  (Read 15447 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Qsave Error
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 08:20:51 AM »
Admittedly, I've not re-read the entire thread, so please forgive any duplication here....

Does this only happen on your computer - what about attempting this from another workstation?

Also, what version are you using?

HTH
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 08:31:15 AM »
and what of the DWL files did you discover?

Sorry.  There were NO DWL files for the particular file in question.   I also made sure that no user had the file open in a read-only status or had a host file that the particular file was xref into.
Keep in mind that those files are HIDDEN, and most people do not display HIDDEN files by default in their folder views.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
I have a qsave error (see first screen shot)

The simple answer is (and I think someone mentioned it...) that AutoCAD cannot delete a file that it needs to.

When you save a named drawing, AutoCAD:
1. Writes the content of the editor to a .TMP file.
2. Deletes the current .BAK file.
3. Renames the current .DWG file to .BAK
4. Renames the .TMP to .DWG.

If step 2 fails because you do not have delete rights, then the process stops and you end up with a TMP file (as your dialog indicates). You can replicate this behavior easily by saving a DWG in a directory in which you do not have delete rights.

As far as the DWL* files, these are created and managed by the WHOHAS.ARX file and have *nothing* to do with AutoCAD saving (or not being able to save) a drawing.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »

The simple answer is (and I think someone mentioned it...) that AutoCAD cannot delete a file that it needs to.
that would be me

As far as the DWL* files, these are created and managed by the WHOHAS.ARX file and have *nothing* to do with AutoCAD saving (or not being able to save) a drawing.
GOOGLE some more, as it shows up as a potential solution in more than one location. I didn't make any of this up.   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »
GOOGLE some more, as it shows up as a potential solution in more than one location. I didn't make any of this up.   ;-)

AutoCAD does not know or care about those files (with the specific exception of the WHOHAS routine). They are simple text files. We have been down this same road before and I'm just relaying our lessons learned.

It is pretty easy to prove also.
1. Open a drawing.
2. Go to that directory in Explorer.
3. Find the DWL* files, change the security settings of these two files so that you do not have delete rights
4. Close the drawing.
5. The DWL* files will not be deleted
6. Now open a new empty drawing
7. Do a SaveAs, overwriting the original drawing.
8. The presence of the DWL* files will not prevent this Save from occurring.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
FYI:  Isavebak is set to 1 upon opening the drawing.

?? But 1 is not 0. Subtitle: Even if a isavepercent setting of 0 doesn't remedy your immediate problem it's the setting you should use. Hope you nail the cause of the problem.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
Admittedly, I've not re-read the entire thread, so please forgive any duplication here....

Does this only happen on your computer - what about attempting this from another workstation?

Also, what version are you using?

HTH
Yes attempted and recreated the very same error on a different machine. 

See Sig below.   :wink:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »
and what of the DWL files did you discover?

Sorry.  There were NO DWL files for the particular file in question.   I also made sure that no user had the file open in a read-only status or had a host file that the particular file was xref into.
Keep in mind that those files are HIDDEN, and most people do not display HIDDEN files by default in their folder views.

Sorry should have been less of a wise crack with my response.  :wink: :roll:

Yes I have rights to view and touch.  One of the few times in the day that I am all powerful.  :-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
RK

Respectfully I have no need to run that experiment, as my understanding is that WHOHAS.ARX must be intentionally loaded, and many do not bother with doing so.
Further I do not, nor have not had the issue.  And as stated it does show up as a potential solution to this type of problem, and no potential solution should be omitted in a case such as this.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »

When you save a named drawing, AutoCAD:
1. Writes the content of the editor to a .TMP file.
2. Deletes the current .BAK file.
3. Renames the current .DWG file to .BAK
4. Renames the .TMP to .DWG.

If step 2 fails because you do not have delete rights, then the process stops and you end up with a TMP file (as your dialog indicates). You can replicate this behavior easily by saving a DWG in a directory in which you do not have delete rights.

The folder is wide open on permissions.  It is a project folder with 57 drawing files alone not counting all the other associated files for a project.  And further more I had the 4 base files open at the same time and made successful edits and saves to them.  3 other users where accessing other files at the same time. 

Now my question is could a just a file itself have it rights change?    Even after I have copied and pasted the line work into a brand new file?. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:21:09 AM by Krushert »

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »

....as my understanding is that WHOHAS.ARX must be intentionally loaded, and many do not bother with doing so.
WHOHAS.ARX was rolled into the core of AutoCAD starting with the ±2008 version, so if anyone is running a version even close to recent, it's running.

Further I do not, nor have not had the issue.  And as stated it does show up as a potential solution to this type of problem, and no potential solution should be omitted in a case such as this.

I have to think maybe the 'solutions' you have run across were in error or pertaining to older versions of AutoCAD when they did use their own lock files. See also:  http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS19142
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:17:06 AM by rkmcswain »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »
FYI:  Isavebak is set to 1 upon opening the drawing.

?? But 1 is not 0. Subtitle: Even if a isavepercent setting of 0 doesn't remedy your immediate problem it's the setting you should use. Hope you nail the cause of the problem.
Sorry should have said that that the Isavebak is check and set to 1 upon opening the drawing though the startup function.  However during my testing, having it set to 1 or 0 the error was still present.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
I have to think maybe the 'solutions' you have run across were in error or pertaining to older versions of AutoCAD when they did use their own lock files. See also:  http://support.autodesk.com/getDoc.asp?id=TS19142
So why is 2012 still creating DWL* files?.  Interesting nugget of info; thanks.

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
I have to think maybe the 'solutions' you have run across were in error or pertaining to older versions of AutoCAD when they did use their own lock files. See also:  http://support.autodesk.com/getDoc.asp?id=TS19142
So why is 2012 still creating DWL* files?.  Interesting nugget of info; thanks.

1+ :? ? ... Yes, thanks, RK.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
A useless peice of information that is a day late and dollar short.

My ITwit came to me just and said "What was that name of the file again?  Yesterday morning at 8:31 am the server backup software cough up an alert that this particular file's bak file could not be back up and was skipped.  The ITwit stated that usually happens when a file is corrupt.  (BAK files are backup too as part of the process)  But the issues was still happening even after I deleted the bak file.  And this morning there were no issues with the backup software but there is no bak file also.

What I want to do, is to take the temp file (that I renamed and now using in place of the original ) and do a saveas to new file with original name.  Maybe there were ghost remnants and the server cleaned them up. A great big shoulder shrug over here.