Author Topic: Grrr! Why does Autodesk create stupid non-working constructions...  (Read 3146 times)

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
 :x :x

I really NEED to complain about the way Autodesk is handling the new autoload functionality in 2012 products... I spent 3 days figuring out things and it won't work my way.

Prior versions has the ability of netloading tools and, with the great DemandLoading class which I found at ADN we have a great way of using our tools all the time. Once loaded with NetLoad, the next sessions the tools are available. What this class does is writing registry keys in the section Applications and there are the tools described which are loaded the next time.

So, since 2012 versions we have a new, great *cough* and easy *cough* way of loading tools. Create a map with the extension .bundle, write an xml-file with some tags and options and AutoCAD 2012 should load the tools during startup. Well, I admit, the thought behind was good, but the finish of this construction is [fill in a nasty word of your choice].

I created a tool which shows a palette when it loads. So I put it in a .bundle map, created the xml, started AutoCAD and voila, it works. Yippee! Untill I restarted AutoCAD and I was treated with a Fatal Error dialog!! Grrr!!!! I restarted AutoCAD and it worked like I wanted. Until I restarted AutoCAD and got the Fatal Error again! And I got alternately this Fatal Error once and then not. WHY!!!!

What does the autoloader thing do? Checking the way it works I found out that there is a new section in the Registry named AutoLoader. Here are the tools described which should be loaded. During startup this section will be filled with information, ALSO there is a key added in the Application section. Why is that? Don't know. Then I found out that while closing AutoCAD the key in the section Application is deleted. Wtf? At startup the key is added and at closing the key is deleted? Why couldn't Autodesk think of a better way of handling tools? Like in the existing section with a new parameter or so? Why so complicated with adding and deleting? Because this is giving me trouble. The next time I startup AutoCAD, when AutoCAD has autodeleted the key in the previous session, I get the Fatal Error! When I check the Registry, I find a newly added key in the section Applications. So there is a key which will load the tool the next time.

And that will happen. When, after a Fatal Error, I startup AutoCAD, it works perfectly, the tool is loaded again and it is like I want. But when I close AutoCAD, the Registry key is deleted again so I get the Fatal Error the next time. But right before the Fatal Error the key is added so after that I don't get the Fatal Error. And so on and so on...

I give up on this new functionality.  :x  :-(
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

kaefer

Re: Grrr! Why does Autodesk create stupid non-working constructions...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 04:46:14 AM »
I give up on this new functionality.

What keeps you from using the old functionality?

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:26 AM »
< ... >

Have you taken the issue to AutoDesk ??
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

Draftek

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
I've been using AutoLoader since 2012 was deployed without any problems so far.

It makes my old AutoCAD setup routine not necessary - thank goodness!

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »
I assume it happens because I show a Palette at startup. It seems that the AutoLoader starts much earlier as the Application load. So it might happen that AutoCAD is not ready yet. But I'm not sure, the moments I don't get fatal errors my Palette do show up in an early phase.

For the moment I keep using the old way of implementing tools. The users still need NetLoading the tool once. But with a little documenation it should not be that difficult.

The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
< ... >

Will they fix it if I tell them there is a problem?  :lmao:

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
< ... >

Will they fix it if I tell them there is a problem?  :lmao:

They sure won't fix 'it' if you don't tell them.

:)

I live at UTC + 13.00

---

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »

I have definitely had more issues corrected which I've made them aware of than those I chose to just complain about to my friends. :-)

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
Ok, I'll send them a mail.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »

I have definitely had more issues corrected which I've made them aware of than those I chose to just complain about to my friends. :-)
Then why can we STILL not use MAP to query any Civil 3D objects? 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
You're obviously a glass half empty type of guy Higgs.

I live at UTC + 13.00

---

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »

Methinks it's more of a "You should have used a ceramic cup" sorta thing.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »
uh, when  they have ignored the issue for over 8 years, I start to think the glass is completely empty. (on this particular issue)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/