Author Topic: Wow, a new one today!!!  (Read 3964 times)

craigr

Re: Wow, a new one today!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
I can see the advantages of doing it that way - as long as file size doesn't become an issue.

I just haven't run into it before.

BTW, is it REALLY that difficult to make sure they line up doing it the traditional way?

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »
Sorry...it's only traditional to you.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
Depends on what you mean "doing it the traditional way"?

I have a couple of luddites (M.H.O.) that want to set all floors in one file but next to each other usually align either horizontally or vertically.  But most of us create a separate file for each floor and xref on top of each other when we need to an alignment check.   If you floor plan is simple and small with the number of layers, it is no problem to set up the former or the method you found.    But with large complex drawing it gets very cumbersome and it seems the layer state or filters get unwieldy too.   YMMV
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Draftek

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
I could see this being very beneficial if the floor plans are drawn on their correct elevation respectively - With a few tools to manipulate the views and paper space layouts.

Its basically how I do 3D piping modeling.

craigr

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
I would LOVE to be in an Industry that does that!!!

I would think it is pretty cool.

We use LT so everything we do is 2D.

danallen

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
I bet they might be using scripts. Back in R12 days, that was how we set all our layer states. While not combining all floors in one, for architecture we would combine existing, demo, new, ceilings, finish, power, furniture, etc all into one file. About 100 layers which get sorted out into at least 6 separate printed drawings, 7 if you count presentation. We would use scripts to quickly change layers states and the scripts used wild cards to say turn off partial height walls in the ceiling plan by example: -layer > off > *prht*

the main downside was that it limited the number of people that could work on the drawings at one time. for that reason I now separate most information into separate files and xref for ceiling, furniture, power, etc.

Dan