Author Topic: API Book or PDF  (Read 1987 times)

JimAndi

API Book or PDF
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

As I posted in my previous topic I am very new to the AutoDesk .NET (C#) development and I'm struggling trying to wrap my old brain around this new concept. Does anyone know or have documentation on the AutoDesk .NET API? I started developing AutoLisp In the late 80s And the most powerful book in the AutoDesk collection was only 3/8 of an inch thick. The book was the AutoDesk customization guide. The book broke down each AutoLisp function, so that you could understand how to use the language.

Is there any book(s)/documentation that I can acquire on the AutoCAD .NET development?

I know I am just a mosquito in the big pond here...  :-)

Jim

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: API Book or PDF
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »
Not to my knowledge,
The docs have the best 'documneted book'
The developers guide in help.

Search here or ask.

There is a Jerry Winters book I got when first started messing with API but it  does not go into any type of explanation on how the API works.
There are 200 pages that are nothing but screenshoots of the object browser. You will get a better explanation asking here.

sunny52266

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
So jeff, how exactly would you recomment getting started? I have done labs from DevTV and I understand what is going on. What I do not understand most of the time is why, and how and where to use the functions, transactions, and properties of various pre-defined classes. I know the syntax and how to accomplish what I want, but cant seem to figure out the way(s) to achieve anything.

P.S Ive dedicated atleast 6 hours of reading and experimenting with code for the last 5 days.

Thanks, if you've wasted your time so far :p and do reply if you will! :)

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
6 hours of reading and experimenting is nothing :-) Learning to program and write tools for AutoCAD is a traject of many weeks, months or even years. I don't know what the best way is of learning but I think you should realise you need to practise a lot. Try every example you find, type the code yourself, debug and follow every line of code to see what happens, etc. That will teach you more as reading a book will do.

Jerry Winters book might be full of print screens of methods and functions but there are almost no other books to read about this subject. It is also filled with dozens of examples how to create commands and do very simple things. Even while it seems to be simple, you'll learn from it.

After some experimenting you can read guides and help files from Autodesk, read posts on forums like this and search for documents at Autodesk University Online. There are also thousands of examples to read but they mostly require some basic knowledge.

The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

sunny52266

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:29:44 AM »
Thanks Huiz, Ill keep your advice in mind!

Ill keep doing what I do until I figure out what I do! :p