Author Topic: System Restore for AutoCAD  (Read 7999 times)

M-dub

System Restore for AutoCAD
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
This might seem like a fairly novice question to some.  Oh well.  :)
It's been quite a while since I last created network deployments for our CAD software (AutoCAD & Raster Design).  I am going to install them on one machine and want to configure it in a bit of a test run before I create the installation files and I wondered...
Is there a mechanism in AutoCAD that is similar to Windows' System Restore Points?  Or is the closest thing a profile?  I would like to be able to revert back to the previous step as I make certain configuration changes... just in case.

Any ideas or other suggestions regarding the installation of 2012 (upgrading from 2009)?

Thanks!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: System Restore for AutoCAD
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »
This might seem like a fairly novice question to some.  Oh well.  :)
It's been quite a while since I last created network deployments for our CAD software (AutoCAD & Raster Design).  I am going to install them on one machine and want to configure it in a bit of a test run before I create the installation files and I wondered...
Is there a mechanism in AutoCAD that is similar to Windows' System Restore Points?  Or is the closest thing a profile?  I would like to be able to revert back to the previous step as I make certain configuration changes... just in case.

Any ideas or other suggestions regarding the installation of 2012 (upgrading from 2009)?

Thanks!
a combination of saving profiles/workspaces (CUI) and the system registry as some items are written there as well these days

although, I don't think a 'deployment' in the strictest sense actually allows one to configure autocad as much as you are hoping it does.

What I found best practice to be, use the create deployment operation to get the network/system paths set as desired.
Deploy to a single workstation, edit those things the deployment doesn't allow. Configure the CUI as required save as Enterprise.
Save and Export the Profile and the CUI.  Deploy to remaining workstations, importing the profile and pointing to the Enterprise CUI.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:41:04 PM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
a combination of saving profiles/worspaces (CUI) and the system registry as some items are written there as well these days

although, I don't think a 'deployment' in the strictest sense actually allows one to configure autocad as much as you are hoping it does.

What I found best practice to be, use the create deployment operation to get the network/system paths set as desired.
Deploy to a single workstation, edit those things the deployment doesn't allow. Configure the CUI as required save as Enterprise.
Save and Export the Profile and the CUI.  Deploy to remaining workstations, importing the profile and pointing to the Enterprise CUI.

I'm not SURE, but that sounds like what I'm actually doing.  I want to be able to fire off an installation to a new machine and have it set up with our menu files and paths, etc. as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Embarrassingly, I haven't played with menus a WHOLE lot ever since the CUI came about!  I know enough about it to get by, but need to learn more about it.  I've never liked it much and still don't.  What can you do though?  You can't ignore it and hope it goes back to what I was used to because it's not going to happen.  Ok... I'm talking to myself, now...

Thanks

Onward we go!

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
Similarly, we've been using Land Desktop 2009 for a couple of years, and we're transitioning to Civil 3D. Corporately, we're implementing Civil 3D 2011 (already installed on my Laptop), but my group is about to get Civil 3D 2012 as required by one of our clients.

I use a minimalistic approach to the initial Profile (ARG) import, so long as the application's icon is setup correctly. I then use ACAD.lsp to set the profile to 'production standard'. I've found this method advantageous over having to either myself, or ask the users to manually delete the profile, close ACAD, then reopen to allow the new ARG file to import. This way, I can make a simple Support Files Search Path change, etc. in VLIDE, and tell the user(s) to restart - done group wide.

I use a separate deployment (copy of entire support structure, profile, etc.) for testing, and integrate as needed for actual 'updates'. I use a combination of LISP & Windows Batch files (.BAT) for formal 'updates' as well depending on the extent to which changes are being made.

HTH
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »

I really don't need to configure the installation all that much.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I've only got a few toolbars that I want every user to have.  I have a few search paths and support paths that need to be added.

Any of the custom files that I've created will sit in a network folder.

What I would like to know right now is... regarding the Enterprise cui, what do I need to do to load these few toolbars as a PARTIAL enterprise cui?  I don't want anyone to be able to modify them.  Under their own profile, they can create any other custom toolbar they want, but not these ones.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »
you have to have the enterprise cui file as the main, add the partials, then set it up to be the enterprise again..... Confusing right?

In order to add partials to a cui, it has to be set as the main.  but in order to do that, you have to have a separate profile for anytime you want to modify the enterprise cui file.  I got this program from http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=116980&highlight=Edit+Enterprise that allows me to edit it without being required to have a separate profile for editing my enterprise file.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
you have to have the enterprise cui file as the main, add the partials, then set it up to be the enterprise again..... Confusing right?

In order to add partials to a cui, it has to be set as the main.  but in order to do that, you have to have a separate profile for anytime you want to modify the enterprise cui file.  I got this program from http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=116980&highlight=Edit+Enterprise that allows me to edit it without being required to have a separate profile for editing my enterprise file.

+1. 

Set up the Enterprise with your core functions, toolbars, etc.  If it helps, think of it as the administrative "Main" CUI.   Make other CUIs partial to that, such as ACAD, Raster Design, and so on.  Give each user their own Main CUI so they can save their own workspaces.  Applications which load partial CUIs on-the-fly will add them partial to the Main, so keep an eye on that; its sometimes easier to just force them to always load at start-up.  There's one or two excellent guides at AUGI on organizing partial CUIs.

I don't have a separate profile or application for switching the Enterprise/Main around; I do it so seldom I can just do it manually (and with a half-dozen application profiles already, that's a lot of extra profiles).

One of the trickier bits is getting new toolbars or other UI elements to show up once users start saving their own workspace.  Short of using fixed common workspaces you will need some programming legerdemain.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »
Cool.
Thanks guys.

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 01:32:50 PM »
Ok, time is running out... I'll save you all from the long stories that accompany this mess but...

I need help.

I've had a look on Augi, but I'm not sure if I found what you were talking about.
I watched this video and it was somewhat helpful, but I'm still a little confused.  It's the Enterprise, Main and Partial thing I don't understand.  WHY?!  If this was a standalone installation, I would have ACAD.CUI as my main and "user.cui" as a partial to that main and wouldn't even bother with enterprise.

I DO want an enterprise cui... at least as I envision it.

I want to have 5 machines set up with ACAD.cui and its partials like Raster Design, Express Tools, etc. loaded on each machine.
I want our "user.cui" to be loaded (and read only) on each machine.
I would like to give each user their own workspace that they can customize as they see fit.

I am getting so frustrated with this stuff!  Can anyone help?

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »
Perhaps the links I posted here will help; specifically the last one: "A Working Enterprise CUI in Front of Your Eyes"

HTH
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:03:39 PM by RenderMan »

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
Also, if you end up going the Enterprise CUI(x) route, you'll find this tool very handy  :wink::

Code: [Select]
<<Snip>>

See link in post #5

^^ Invoke by EC, or EditEnterprise at the command line.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:24:54 PM by RenderMan »

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »
Also, if you end up going the Enterprise CUI(x) route, you'll find this tool very handy  :wink::

thats the same link I posted up above Mat, I didnt want to repost the code due to the header information.

Mike,
At our office we have an Enterprise file, partial to that is Acad, acetmain, and any of the other cuix files
for our main cui files, we use Custom.cuix, that way the user can make changes, and nothing OOTB is being used in an editable situation.

I can say the way I have our office setup is not really the way I want, but that is AutoDesk's fault, because the whole enterprise idea is good, just the way it is implemented isnt good enough.  They need to reconfigure it so that you have multiple Enterprise files, everything OOTB is enterprise, then when a user modifies the cuix file, the OOTB things stay in their default state.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

M-dub

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
the whole enterprise idea is good, just the way it is implemented isnt good enough.  They need to reconfigure it so that you have multiple Enterprise files, everything OOTB is enterprise, then when a user modifies the cuix file, the OOTB things stay in their default state.

I agree!!!

Nice serve... it just landed out of bounds.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
You have something very similar to what we are using, so I'll outline that:

Enterprise (in read-only network folder): custom file with commands for our common in-house functions
Partials, under Enterprise (in read-only network folder): acad, raster design, express, Cloudworx, and some other third-party stuff
Workspaces defined in Enterprise: a few basic starter workspaces the users can begin with

Main (in per-user read/write network folder): custom file, completely empty
User created workspaces will be saved under the Main

The Main CUIx could easily be on the hard drive, but their personal network drive is backed up nightly and the hardware can be reformatted or even replaced and they still have their personalized workspaces.  The development process:

- start wtih a blank CUIx for the Enterprise and set it in the "Main" slot so you can modify it
- fill the Enterprise with custom commands
- add ACAD, Express, RD, etc. as partial to the Main
- verify everything is available, build starter workspaces (toolbars on/off, Ribbon tabs and panels, etc.)
- create a new, blank CUIx for the Main
- change the Enterprise from the Main "slot" to the "Enterprise" slot, and put the new (blank) Main in the "Main" slot
- do any customizations you want to the Main (this will be copied to each user)
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
My mistake; it's been a while, and I overlooked the link.

You CAN setup the CUI configuration the way you describe (for the most part). Here's what we've been using for the past couple of years.

Custom (Main, user maintained file)
      Custom (Partial, optional - can be used between platforms)
      AutoTURN (Partial, mandatory to Main)

Enterprise (Enterprise, General)
      ACAD/CIVIL (Partial)
      ContentSearch (Partial)
      Enterprise (Partial, Platform specific - i.e., C3D, vs Vanilla)
      Express (Partial)
      Raster Design (Partial)
      ;; <- Others as needed

Be sure to modify the EnterpriseMenuFile Property of the Files Collection:

Code: [Select]
(vla-put-EnterpriseMenuFile
  (vla-get-files (vla-get-preferences (vlax-get-acad-object)))
  "<FilePath>\\<FileName>")

Edit: Dgorsman beat me on some of this, sorry for any duplication.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:26:00 PM by RenderMan »