Author Topic: Another PointMonitor thread  (Read 2018 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Another PointMonitor thread
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »
I've been using PointMonitor to display object Properties for sometime now, and it works pretty well. I've found cases, however, that it does not work quite right and I'm struggling trying to find a way to make it work. Essentially I started with the code Kean posted a few years ago HERE, and modified it to show nested objects.

The problem comes when the cursor is at a point in which there are multiple objects. If they are in the current space, they all get listed just fine (for instance, draw 3 lines, all identical and on top of each other). Now create a block of those same 3 lines, hovering over them now only lists the BlockRef and the topmost line, ignoring the other 2 lines.

I need to be able to list those other 2....how?

Another way that it fails me, is when I'm listing the properties of a nested line. I need to apply any Transformations of it's parent BlockRef, other wise it lists the data in relation to the Block's OCS, not the World (or current) UCS. I've just started to look into this one, so it may be a quick solution.

As always, thanks for any pointers!

Chumplybum

• Newt
Re: Another PointMonitor thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:22:13 AM »
Jeff, this thread might be of use... http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=22963.0

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:01:08 AM »
(for instance, draw 3 lines, all identical and on top of each other). Now create a block of those same 3 lines, hovering over them now only lists the BlockRef and the topmost line, ignoring the other 2 lines.
Sorry Jeff for asking you to repeat yourself,

But do you mean when you create the block to have the 'retain' option set so the 3 lines remain and then insert a BlockReference on top of the three lines?

So from top to bottom(and all lines are the same----looks like 1 line.)
BlockReference(Containg 3 lines)
Line
Line
Line

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
Sorry, Jeff, I should've been more clear on that. I was testing this by creating the block and converting the lines to a block....the original lines are no longer in the drawing just the block containing them. I'll retest with the lines retained once I get to the office this morning.

Chumplybum, that's a good read. I'll see if it can be incorporated with the PointMonitor. Thanks!

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »
OK, testing with keeping the 3 lines with the block of those same 3 lines inserted over the top yields the result of all 3 lines are displayed, as well as the blockref and the topmost line in the block. The other 2 lines in the blocks do not get listed. So it appears that the PointMonitorEventArgs GetPickedEntities does not react the same with nested objects vs. unnested objects.

kaefer

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
OK, testing with keeping the 3 lines with the block of those same 3 lines inserted over the top yields the result of all 3 lines are displayed, as well as the blockref and the topmost line in the block. The other 2 lines in the blocks do not get listed. So it appears that the PointMonitorEventArgs GetPickedEntities does not react the same with nested objects vs. unnested objects.

You wouldn't get any more nested entities with Editor.GetNestedEntity, acedNEntSelP or (NENTSELP) than the ones that happen to be picked. One may suspect a common cause for this behaviour.

As to ideas how to circumvent this restriction: only of the bad variety. Explode the whole lot and clean up the mess somehow later? Could recursively applying point-based nested entity selection while playing tricks with the visibilty of each entity picked fit the bill?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:10:51 AM »
Thanks, kaefer. That's what I was suspecting is the case. And as much as I'd like for this to work with ALL entities which might be under the crosshair, I don't think it's going to be worth the system overhead or my sanity to try to accomplish it.

Thanks to all who have had a look. I think I'll abandon this for now.