Author Topic: ACAD 2K4 and the aggravation of past habits  (Read 9218 times)

Hangman...

ACAD 2K4 and the aggravation of past habits
« on: December 05, 2003, 11:09:04 AM »
Hello All,

I am most impressed with the knowledge you have here in this forum as to the CADchat forum.   No one can seem to understand my dilemma or want to help.  (But then again, maybe they can't).  :?

After having read some of the responses to posts here, (within 30 minutes of perusing, mind you) I feel I have finally found a forum that can help me.

So, without further adue, I am going to spill my speghetti bowl out here and hope you can help me.

1. Why do they have that stupid white box that surrounds the color when your selecting individual colors. It makes it hard to see where your cursor is at and what your picking. I want my regular cursor, any ideas on how to edit someth'n to get my cursor back ???

2. For some oddball reason, my Display resolutions under the Display tab, defaults to 100, 8, .5, 4 on the listings. I want the numbers to read 10000, 8, 1, 4 respectively. I change it, hit the apply button and alls well ... for that drawing. When I open a new drawing, it's back to the default 100, 8, .5, 4. Any Ideas ???

3. Why does the properties pallet default to a floating half inch by half inch size thumbnail that I have to constantly move to one side of the screen and adjust its' size in order to use it with every session of ACAD I open ??? Does anyone know how to make that pallet STAY at one side of the screen and STAY at the size I adjust it to each time I open CAD ???

I know, deal with it, get into the 21st century and use the tool bars. Tool bars are good, I can't argue that, but I'm a user, I use my PGP key commands and draft much faster than most (especially when they use the tool bars)

4. How can I sell the concept of ADT to three guys who have been in the office for a much longer period of time than I, who have a voice in what the office standards are and who are (oddly enough) against changing their own drafting habits to get off the board drafting concept and into the 21st century of ACAD and ADT ???

Ok, back to more frustrations;

5. I use the text Architxt in my dwgs. I have noticed that I can write an MTEXT note using several items such as the @ sign, degree sign, Centerline insignia, Diameter insignia, etc. When I explode this to a standard dtext or text lines, I have noticed that at each symbol and insignia, it starts a new text line. When I edit a line, I have three lines involved. (It goes back to the three voices that control the drafting room. They don't like mtext, they want dtext on all the details).

6. What happened to the PLJOIN command that was in the express tools. I found the supplement file in the 2004 express tools but it is not joining any plines. For now I am going the long way of Pedit, join and individually selecting connected lines. Waste of time, how can I get the pljoin command back ???

Sorry to dump all this at once, especially being a brand spank'n new cad chatter here and not really knowing anything that's go'in on.

Thank you though for all your help and I now have this place bookmarked !!!   :D

Craig

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 11:22:44 AM »
For #2, have you tried saving your settings in a different (new) profile and see if that fixes things

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 11:29:49 AM »
FACETRES System Variable
Type: Real
Saved in: Drawing
Initial value: 0.5

You're going to have to set it upon opening each dwg. Perhaps with a custom menu, or autolisp file.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Hangman

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 12:34:03 PM »
Well that bites, ...

w/ 2000i I had it appearantly in the profile cause it would default to the settings I wanted.

I tried saving a new profile but it didn't save it here w/ 2K4.

Craig

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 12:39:39 PM »
Thats the way we use it. Wonder why they changed it in 2k4

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 12:51:42 PM »
According to Adesk it's been that way since 2000!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

t-bear

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 01:08:22 PM »
I'm in 2000i and have mine set for 20000-8-10-4...stays that way in all dwgs so it's not a "2000+ thing".  Can't speak for 2k4 tho......sorry. They don't let me have any of the new toys here.

Craig

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 01:20:47 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas
According to Adesk it's been that way since 2000!

Hmmmmmmmm  :?  Well thats odd. We have settings for different clients setup in different profiles. The things under the Options always changes, depending which profile we are using. Oh well   8)

Craig

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 01:27:04 PM »

Download http://www.staubeng.com/etv1-9.zip and see if the PLJoin in these tools are what you're after. Being I have never used it I don't know if this is the same as its predecessor

Dent Cermak

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 01:27:28 PM »
If the profile doesn't do it, have you tried setting it in a template drawing (*.dwt) and use that template on all of your new drawings?

Kate M

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 01:29:32 PM »
3. Does anyone know how to make that pallet STAY at one side of the screen and STAY at the size I adjust it to each time I open CAD ???

Try leaving a drawing open when you close AutoCAD? This should make it remember where you left your palettes...(it's not a bug, it's a feature...)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 01:46:01 PM »
It will probably take a windows API call to make it happen...I will look into it...

There are two controlling commands one is "VIEWRES" and it is saved in the drawing, not the profile, not the registry and not in the configuration files.
So...
To set viewres to your specified setting EVERY TIME you open a drawing or create a new one, do this...
Open your template and set the viewres there then save the template, now every drawing started with that template should have the correct setting

OR

Add this line to your ACAD.LSP file (if you have one)
Code: [Select]

(command "viewres" "" "10000")

If you do not have one create one and add that line to it.
In either instance set acadlspasdoc system variable to 1

Now all drawings will be set to your viewres.

The next setting is FACETRES

Add this line to your file from above..
Code: [Select]

(setvar "facetres" 1.0)

You could dock the property window and it should stay where you put it.

It is a losing battle, unless it is their idea they will never change...tough break...

You are dealing with idiots anyway...mtext is a great help to formatting text, the problem is likely due to the width of the mtext rather than the symbols themselves. Tell them that I said they are stupid for sticking to plain old text, just keep using mtext, pretty soon they will get tired of complaining and keep their mouth shut...

Use the expresstools from your earlier release, you can get them directly from the CD or from various web sites.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Hangman

Aggravations lessening
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 03:10:47 PM »
Thanks guys for all your input.   some of these things I think I'm jus goona hav'ta live with.  (Like my board drafting buddies.  Expensive board though)

KEB, The viewres in the acad.lsp file works great (with the exception of the regen after everything is loaded)

KATE,  your idea of leaving a dwg open and closing acad worked for that session, but if I close a dwg then acad, I get the same ol thing, default prop palette some little cracker in the middle of the screen.   Still researching this one.

Thanks again.

Kate M

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 03:59:02 PM »
Hangman, it's a known bug that ANY TIME you close AutoCAD, you have to have a drawing open if you want it to remember your floating palatte windows...it's a bit annoying, but I don't think there's a known workaround.

daron

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 04:23:44 PM »
You could write in an mnl file:
(command "_toolpalettes")
and everytime autocad opens, it will place it in.

Hangman

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 05:11:07 PM »
Naaa Daron,
That works but not what I'm try'in to do.   I don't know what my problem is, my tool palette seems to stay where I want it to and at the size I want it to, session after session.   My problem is my freak'n Properties palette.   For some reason, 2k4 has all its editing properties in the properties palette so the palette is used extensively.   It's just a minor thing but it's driv'n be nuts !!!   All these little idiosyncrisies really add up.  :(

daron

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 06:10:32 PM »
Well then, try (command "_properties") in the same mnl file. I thought you were talking about the tool palettes themselves.