Author Topic: To the author of MODATT (attribute editor)  (Read 3722 times)

TJAM51

To the author of MODATT (attribute editor)
« on: January 28, 2005, 03:31:26 PM »
I love your routine and the ability to edit attributes globally but is it possible for this routine to acomplish a selection of two or more rather than a global selection? For example if I have only three blocks with attributes I would like to select only those three instead of all blocks or just one at a time.

Thanks

hyposmurf

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 03:55:15 PM »
The creator of that nice peice of work is Keith.Not sure how youd only select a % of a particular type of block in a drawing.I currently use modatt  for each one if Im trying to acheive that.

TJAM51

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 04:04:05 PM »
I understand.......if Keith is watching .........give us a buzz.

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 05:11:55 PM »
Command:
-ATTEDIT
Edit attributes one at a time? [Yes/No] <Y>: N

Performing global editing of attribute values.
Edit only attributes visible on screen? [Yes/No] <Y>: Y

Enter block name specification <*>:

Enter attribute tag specification <*>:

Enter attribute value specification <*>:
Select Attributes: <GET THE ONES YOU WANT>

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 07:31:07 AM »
Well actually, I had thought of adding that feature in the program, but I have had neither the time nor the energy to devote to it. I'll put it on my plate for something to do in the future if and when I find time.

I first wrote the program back in 1996 when I was first starting to utilize attributes on a regular basis. I quickly learned that the attribute editing powers of AutoCAD were limited, (at that time), to merely changing the text string. If you wanted to modify the tag name, change the visibility bits, text style, angle, text width, or any of the other "attributes" of an attribute, it had to be done with a custom program... so I created one. This is the culmination of those efforts over the course of 3 major revisions and several minor ones.

Initially I put it out as a shareware program, but people either didn't use it or nobody ever registers shareware.... When I released 3.1 I decided to remove the nag screen because it evidently didn't move people to register it and it was code that I did not need to maintain... and since I was no longer requiring registration, I stopped development on the help files. The last version had the help button on the dialog, but did not include any help files.
If I thought that I could get enough people to register it to use, I would devote more time to it's development, but until that time comes, I will unfortunately not be able to do so, simply because I have those other jobs that pay the bills that I need to do.

Anyway, I can see a version 5 coming out probably within the next several months, as long as there are users who find the program useful. It is tough deciding on whether to continually upgrade programs when you have no feedback on its usefulness.

If there are some things you would like to see added in the future, let me know. Some that I have been thinking are:

Change text boxes to combo boxes for layers and text styles.
Add a color dialog for selecting attribute colors.
A button for a selection set.
Attribute justification

Anyone have other suggestions?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

SMadsen

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 07:48:09 AM »
Quote from: Keith
Anyone have other suggestions?

Yes .. re-introduce the nag screen  :wink:

hyposmurf

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 08:03:25 AM »
At the moment it totally fulfills my needs attributely, if I can think of anything else Ill let you know.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 08:08:01 AM »
Stig, I could put the code back in, but I think it is really a struggle for me between my altruistic self (wanting to make end users tasks easier), and my need to make an income. I could certainly use the extra income, BUT, if people won't use it because of the nag screen, have I fulfilled my selfish needs to be magnanimous?

SMadsen

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 08:53:09 AM »
magnanimous? Go easy on the foreigners, will ya? :)  (had to look it up on Webster)

I wouldn't expect a nag screen to generate an income but it could perhaps generate some .. ummm .. consideration.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 09:38:09 AM »
Stig, I forget sometimes that people all over the world don't speak and understand english at the same level as those of us born into it. I can just see me trying to speak or read Danish..
Regardless, any updates would likely only go out to those I specifically wanted to have the program (the appreciative ones) and the rest would have to deal with the nag.