Author Topic: Change stationing of alignment and profile 0+000 to 00+00  (Read 17859 times)

wbonnet

Change stationing of alignment and profile 0+000 to 00+00
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
I have been asked to change the stationing of my drawing from the default 0+000 to a 00+00 format.  I am using a metric drawing, have tried changing my label styles on the alignment to no avail.  I need all of my stations in the drawing to read this way.  Is there any quick way to do this?  Again, just one of those things AutoCAD loves to make you change when the default should clearly be set to the station format that everyone uses (00+00)!  The simplest tasks conceptually can be the hardest to accomplish using this software.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Change stationing of alignment and profile 0+000 to 00+00
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Almost all Metric civil drawings I've seen use the 0+000 stationing format, where Imperial drawings use the  0+00 format. So Autodesk just created the templates based on the norm, as far as I can tell.

You can change the default for new styles under the drawing's Ambient settings. To change an existing drawing's labels you will have to edit each style used individually. If you have many drawings/styles to edit, this could probably be programmed to automate it.

wbonnet

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
I figured that it was a metric thing, yet I have read documentation that states you should still use the format, 00+00 (hundreds+tens), even for metric.  Changing the individual label styles does not seem to work when I change and apply the 0+00 format to it.  Thanks for the help, I am hoping that I can just tell the boss that 0+000 is the format used when using a metric system, and all will be good.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
This is controlled at the Ambient Settings level and Autodesk provided no such format option (10+00).
However one could possibly achieve the desired effect with an expression and some fancy label style trickery.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »
I figured that it was a metric thing, yet I have read documentation that states you should still use the format, 00+00 (hundreds+tens), even for metric.

I don't see a lot of metric plans, but all the ones I've seen use the 0+000 format.

sinc

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »
This is controlled at the Ambient Settings level and Autodesk provided no such format option (10+00).
However one could possibly achieve the desired effect with an expression and some fancy label style trickery.

What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

In the other thread, you were saying this sort of thing is NOT controlled by the Ambient Settings.  Of course, it's actually the same as the rest, where the Settings tree controls the settings of newly-created Styles, but existing Styles have this setting set inside the Text Components inside the Styles, and stuff inside Text Componenets in existing Styles can't be changed by editing the Ambient Settings.

The settings in the Settings Tree (e.g., Ambient Settings, or Settings -> Alignment -> Edit Feature Settings) will affect things like Tooltips, but not any existing Styles used to label Alignments or Profiles.

And there's no 10+00 format because it's called "1+00".  You just use that format to get stations like 10+00.   ...Or are you refering to forcing a leading zero, for stations like 05+00?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »
Once upon a time, I wrote a stationing utility for a national company ... does that count?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
In this case nothng controls the stationing format in the manner the user desires.
What I was saying in the other thread is that, the Ambient Settings do not have full control of ones lables.
Yes it can be used to preset certain values, however at the individual label level the user can still modify those presets.

And I did not indicate any change would happen within the users existing label sets.   8-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »
Once upon a time, I wrote a stationing utility for a national company ... does that count?
does it work with C3D alignment objects?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »

No, it was all attributed blocks, but I am sure it could be modified to work with C3D .. it was written long before C3D was released .. in fact, it was written in the AC14 days ...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »

No, it was all attributed blocks, but I am sure it could be modified to work with C3D .. it was written long before C3D was released .. in fact, it was written in the AC14 days ...
ah, yes...the good o'le days.... back when there was still the faintest hint of ink and Mylar lingering in the drafting area.   :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
ugh .. I just got a faint whiff of developer fluid and suddenly I feel sick

sinc

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
In this case nothng controls the stationing format in the manner the user desires.

I'm not following you...

The OP's request seems simple enough.  It's quite easy to change the stationing from a 0+000 format to a 0+00 format, the whole question is whether or not that should really be done, since metric plans typically use the 0+000 format.  Unless I'm misunderstanding...?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
yes...it appears they want to move the station delimiter...one to the right...from my reading

Interestingly enough one had this ability in Land Desktop, and I've seen it cause quite a bit of confusion when changed accidentally.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:55 PM »
Interestingly enough one had this ability in Land Desktop, and I've seen it cause quite a bit of confusion when changed accidentally.

And we have this ability in C3D.  I'm not exactly sure what you're saying...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »
I figured that it was a metric thing, yet I have read documentation that states you should still use the format, 00+00 (hundreds+tens),
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DaveD

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 03:02:24 PM »
In my experience 0+000 is a standard pretty regularly used in metric stationing. 1+000 meters is a km, so it makes sense to me to show it that way and also makes it readily clear that you're reading meters.

As far as changing it back to 0+00, if you decide to do so, it's simple:
click to select one of the offensively labeled alignments
right click and select 'edit alignment labels'
in the "major stations" cell, click on the little tag icon to edit
click the 'edit current selection' button
in the layout tab -> text contents are, select the ellipses to edit the label contents
select the station contents
change format to 0+00 on the left and make sure to click the "Push" button (right arrow at upper right) to update the contents of the label before exiting the dialog
OK out of everything and anyll alignments using that major station style should update automatically

Hope this isn't too simplistic.

I have been asked to change the stationing of my drawing from the default 0+000 to a 00+00 format.  I am using a metric drawing, have tried changing my label styles on the alignment to no avail.  I need all of my stations in the drawing to read this way.  Is there any quick way to do this?  Again, just one of those things AutoCAD loves to make you change when the default should clearly be set to the station format that everyone uses (00+00)!  The simplest tasks conceptually can be the hardest to accomplish using this software.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »
Interesting, DaveD, you have told him how to 'set the stationing back' from something that he was never able to set it to.  What is the point in that?  I'm just curious?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DaveD

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
Feel free to ignore the word "back" if it makes it easier for ya...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »
"Back" isn't the issue, the OP wanted to use a non-standard format.
Your suggestion is not a solution to that issue, as the default station format for station label styles is already in the form described.
In short your answer is not what they were after nor does it change default station formating.

Although it does seem to be a decent brief description of how to set up a station label.

Perhaps you could explain what your non-answer was meant to accomplish? That is my question.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »
I'm completely lost with this thread.

I was thinking along the same lines as Dave, and my best guess is that the OP was trying to change the Label Styles, and was failing to hit the arrow to push the changes into the right half of the text component editor (which could explain the comment "Changing the individual label styles does not seem to work").

But since the OP hasn't returned to this thread since the very first day, I have no real idea, and now don't really understand this thread...

DaveD

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
Well, my first point was that the 0+000 format (his current station display style) actually is the standard format for metric stationing, so I was pointing that out first to try to save him the hassle of doing anything.  Problem is he has to convince his boss of that and if the boss wants 0+00 for metric then it can be easily changed to that, which my procedure describes.

Seems pretty simple to me and maybe I'm not understanding what it is that you're not understanding to help you out.  Maybe I'm assuming that you are much more advanced with C3D than you are, but the procedure I describe is not "how to set up a station label", but instead is how you would go about changing your current ("in-use", "default" whichever you like to call it) style.

Make  sense?

"Back" isn't the issue, the OP wanted to use a non-standard format.
Your suggestion is not a solution to that issue, as the default station format for station label styles is already in the form described.
In short your answer is not what they were after nor does it change default station formating.

Although it does seem to be a decent brief description of how to set up a station label.

Perhaps you could explain what your non-answer was meant to accomplish? That is my question.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »
what I did not understand is why one would explain how to change the format from what it is, to the same format...and not actually to the format as requested by the user, even if what the user and or his supervisor thought they wanted wasn't what we understand to be the standard is all
that bit of confusion lead me to be further confused...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DaveD

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
The way I understood it (and I was wrong about something once before, several years ago) was that his current dwg is metric and displaying 0+000 format.  Even though I believe that's correct, his boss wants to see it as 0+00 so I explained how to change his current station display to 0+00.  I night add (if I didn't mention it) that I would also change the name of the station display style, too, when doing that but that's not critical, just a management step.

This is getting kind of difficult - I may have brain farted somewhere (although  still don't see it except for maybe ignoring the word "back"), but the bottom line for me right now is that I don't really care whether you follow or not; I do care if it's not clear to the OP, though, so will clarify more if he asks.

what I did not understand is why one would explain how to change the format from what it is, to the same format...and not actually to the format as requested by the user, even if what the user and or his supervisor thought they wanted wasn't what we understand to be the standard is all
that bit of confusion lead me to be further confused...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
David, just read the title,

the OP's boss clearly wanted to move the + sign one position to the right...even IF that isn't what anyone believes to be correct or the standard...

clear enough for me.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DaveD

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
Ah.  I see; you think 0+00 and 00+00 are 2 different formats...

the OP's boss clearly wanted to move the + sign one position to the right...even IF that isn't what anyone believes to be correct or the standard...

clear enough for me.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »

clear enough for me.
No the OP does...as that was his requested style change, both as I read it, and as he typed it.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DaveD

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 12:20:58 PM »
Hm.  Yotta read that a little closer.

clear enough for me.
No the OP does...as that was his requested style change, both as I read it, and as he typed it.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
OK
Be your Best

Michael Farrell