Author Topic: API WishList VLIDE  (Read 2640 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
API WishList VLIDE
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:11:28 AM »
I did not know how many of you make it over to .NET threads, but
one of the options is to update IDE for lisp

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2011/05/api-wishlist-surveys-for-autodesk-products.html

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: API WishList VLIDE
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:39:43 AM »
I did not know how many of you make it over to .NET threads, but
one of the options is to update IDE for lisp

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2011/05/api-wishlist-surveys-for-autodesk-products.html

If I recall correctly the same item scored very highly last year ... perhaps this year someone will pay attention ( providing the option gets some votes :) )
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »
Just voted  :wink:

gile

• Gator
  • Marseille, France
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:37:03 PM »
And if I remember, last year, there was also a DCL enhancement option which had a good score too, sadly this seems to be given up...
Speaking English as a French Frog

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:58:39 PM »
Thanks for the link.   :-)

With the ActiveX-less/DCL-less LISP in the Mac release, they may be limiting improvements to those which can apply across both platforms to avoid rework or painting themselves into a corner down the road.  That position is probably bolstered by the presence of Action Recorder and Managed .NET support as LISP alternatives, too.

A lot of these surveys are pointing towards a new scripting interface.  Some days I'm worried they are looking at ditching LISP in favor of whatever that turns into.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »

hermanm

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »
Thanks for the link.   :-)

With the ActiveX-less/DCL-less LISP in the Mac release, they may be limiting improvements to those which can apply across both platforms to avoid rework or painting themselves into a corner down the road.  That position is probably bolstered by the presence of Action Recorder and Managed .NET support as LISP alternatives, too.

A lot of these surveys are pointing towards a new scripting interface.  Some days I'm worried they are looking at ditching LISP in favor of whatever that turns into.

One of the options listed is: Dynamic .NET interface

It would be *really* sweet to be able to be able to use a .NET language interactively with ACAD (if I understand this option correctly).

IOW, to be able to write, let's say, Python, or F#, etc. on the fly, just as we do AutoLISP, and be able to unload/reload .NET dlls...

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
I was kind of curious about that one, myself.  I'd like to see further information on what they mean.  It could be a means of compiling to MSIL or other intermediary, then using an interpreter to run that as a scripted process.  Or it could be a GUI drag'n'drop system with pre-assembled blocks of .NET code that you drag around and visually connect in a program flow diagram.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}