Author Topic: How Many Navisworks users  (Read 4679 times)

pmvliet

How Many Navisworks users
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
I'm using Navisworks Manage for clash detection on a daily basis and was wonder if any fellow Swampers use manage for clash detection?

I keep coming up with questions and I don't have anyone to ask.

One issue I have currently is the sheetmetal detailer is using Intellicad. When there is a clash with his ductworki - his entire supply or return system will highlight. Not the individual pipe like any other drawing that is in Navis. This in turn makes it very tedious to find the two entities that are in collision.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
pieter

StykFacE

Re: How Many Navisworks users
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:01:22 PM »
I use Navisworks as well and I've never came across anyone who uses IntelliCAD. Have you tried asking if they can export as an IFC format file? IFC is considered a standard in BIM applications and it might yield a better result than the native IntelliCAD file. Just a thought anyways.

pmvliet

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I sort of figured it out though, just haven't decided if it's a better option or not. Under options, File readers, DWG, there is a toggle to "merge 3D faces". Navis was taking all his ductwork and merging it into one surface. Now with that option not checked, each individual 3D face will clash with each. So, It's either over simplified by not seeing the immediate area or amplified by each individual 3D face...  For instance if there is a clash near a supply grill, there are 20+ clashes because of all the individual 3D faces that are used to create the grill assembly.

Pieter

StykFacE

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:02:15 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I sort of figured it out though, just haven't decided if it's a better option or not. Under options, File readers, DWG, there is a toggle to "merge 3D faces". Navis was taking all his ductwork and merging it into one surface. Now with that option not checked, each individual 3D face will clash with each. So, It's either over simplified by not seeing the immediate area or amplified by each individual 3D face...  For instance if there is a clash near a supply grill, there are 20+ clashes because of all the individual 3D faces that are used to create the grill assembly.

Pieter
Gotcha. I deal with that when I import a file mad from CAD-Duct. Have you ever used the "group similar clashes" option? That helps tremendously when you have a situation where one solid object is interference with what "should" be one object but is pieced out into 20 different faces.

Amsterdammed

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
I just started to use Manage for clash control.. i have some rare situation that the detective did notfind one clash in a dwf. ever happend to somebody before?

Thanks,
Bernd