Author Topic: .NET for Dummies (like me)  (Read 2712 times)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
.NET for Dummies (like me)
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
I've done plenty of VB/VBA programming and would like to start learning .NET.  What are some good resources for beginners?  I was thinking about downloading SharpDevelop and use that for the IDE (pros/cons?).

I'm thinking VB.NET might be easier to start off with since I already know VB/VBA.  Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers?

Thanks
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: .NET for Dummies (like me)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:44:08 AM »
When I jumped into .NET I started with SharpDevelop. Now things mayprobably have changed in the last 4 years, but I found that it crashed often and there were many things you see talked about that weren't available. After a month, or maybe two, I switched to Visual Studio Express and have been quite happy with it (VCE is also free). Remember, too, that there is FAR more help available from users of VS vs SharpDevelop and many times suggestions for one won't work in the other.

I also thought starting with VB.NET may be the easiest way to start, but I figured if I was going to be learning something new I may as well go with what the "pros" use. Most of the 'heavy hitters' here and on the Autodesk .NET forum were using/recommending C#, so that's what I went with. It was slow at first, but it's now pretty fun & easy to work with. I've also found it fairly simple to use VB.NET now, too, although there a number significant differences in the languages.

In the end, it all boils down to what YOU are most comfortable using.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:21:16 AM »
Thanks for the info!
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »
C# is pretty similar to Java, and its a much shorter jump from this to C++ if you start looking at Object ARX stuff.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:01:25 AM »
What a dummy like me thinks........

I started off with VB.NET and no matter what anyone says it is fine to use.

Microsoft intentions at first were to make VB and C# different, but due to C# and VB users complaining they decided to make them equivalent.

The pros for C# are more examples and the verbage, terminology used in C# articles etc.... tend to help convey and follow other general programming concepts and explanations(probably due to it's syntax and other aspects that were modeled after c++).

You can copy and paste code in on-line converters that do a good job, and if it does not convert it correctly you can always PM me the link and I will convert it and post the code.

Once you learn VB.NET it is easy to learn C# and vice-versa.

I would play around with both and as Jeff_M said or typed
In the end, it all boils down to what YOU are most comfortable using.

You also have F#
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:07:11 AM by Jeff H »

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »
I'm in the process of porting some of my VB and VBA projects to .NET as well. It looks like there is a nice set of self paced videos coming up from AutoDesk The first of which I found here. I can only find the first three episodes so far.

It looks like you can download the VB labs here. I'm trying to find the word documents for each lab since I'd prefer not to sit through a movie, but haven't found them yet.

As for an IDE, I started with VB/C# express but couldn't link AutoCAD with those versions for debugging purposes, so upgraded to the professional version.

I haven't decided between VB and C#. I'd like to learn a new language, but the VB.NET syntax is pretty easy to recognize. And since both VB and C# turn out the same runtime, there doesn't seem to be that much advantage to C#.

I'm new to the .NET thing as well, and look forward to poking around here a bit getting back into this community, and getting some input from some of the masters here.  :-)

Edit: I just realized that at least one of these links is posted in the sticky at the top of this sub-forum. Love this place. :)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
... there doesn't seem to be that much advantage to C#.

peer support?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
peer support?

1st post in a long time, and I'm already spouting questionable advice! :oops:

What I meant I suppose, and please correct me if I'm wrong. In the end, VB and C# both have access to the same objects/functions of autoCAD, and produce equivalent runtimes. As opposed to VB6 which had much more limited access to the COM model, where as C++/ARX is more flexible.

I agree, peer support is a huge part of learning a language, that's why I'm here!