Author Topic: MP3 advice  (Read 4205 times)

Jim H.

• Gator
  • x322x
MP3 advice
« on: May 12, 2011, 01:14:40 pm »
Not sure where else to put this.

OK, I have ~40 or 50 awesome vinyl albums that I want "electronified" to mp3 format.  I'm willing to buy them over again   :pissed:, since I do not possess a stereo system or hardware/software to translate my vinyl to mp3.  If I could borrow a turntable, how would I convert my music to mp3?
My truck has a jack for an mp3 player, and my daughter is begging for one too.  I'd like to buy one for her, and one for me when I travel.

What mp3 player should I buy?

Where do you'ns get your music from?

What are my best options?

I'm a real n00b when it comes to this stuff.  I don't listen to much music anymore, but would if I could get my a** into the 20th century.   :angel:
TIA
Resistance is futile.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: MP3 advice
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:18:30 pm »
get a thing called LP Recorder and a(n) Xitel Inport
the Inport device allows connecting the output jacks on turntable to PC
the Recorder does the digital magic, including de-pop and hissss

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jim H.

• Gator
  • x322x
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:22:31 pm »
Thanks Michael.  Appreciated, you are.
I did Google this after I posted, but..... well, there's Google, and then there's the Swamp!   :-)
Looks like (DOH!) I'll still need to find/borrow a turntable somewhere.
Resistance is futile.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »
I had the same issue, hundreds of vinyls almost no CDs .. I found a source online where I could download them for free .. some folks said it was piracy, but I disagreed since I already have the album in my possession. I suppose if I were arrested the courts would have to determine the legality.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:32:00 pm »
I had the same issue, hundreds of vinyls almost no CDs .. I found a source online where I could download them for free .. some folks said it was piracy, but I disagreed since I already have the album in my possession. I suppose if I were arrested the courts would have to determine the legality.
I swear I read something about they couldn't do anything if you actually had a physical copy. I read it around the time when people really started ripping all their music/movies to their computer.
Civil 3D 2013 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

JCTER

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:38:43 pm »
It's not legal.  It's a myth perpetuated because people think it's only "logical" that you should be able to do so, since you paid for it.  It's written because people don't know the difference between "stealing" and "copying" - which is not helped by the retarded ads that tell you "You wouldn't steal a car, would you?"

So they think, since they BOUGHT a copy of the music, they should be able to COPY it and it's not STEALING.

However the law was not written by logically concerned people, but by those bought by the pocket books of the RIAA.  The law is that you cannot COPY the music.  This includes taking your cd and copying the files to an mp3 so you can put them on your ipod or listen to it at work and leave your cds in the car. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319276,00.html

Now, we wouldn't want to break the LAW, now WOULD WE?  :roll:

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 01:40:16 pm »
It's not legal.  It's a myth perpetuated because people think it's only "logical" that you should be able to do so, since you paid for it.  It's written because people don't know the difference between "stealing" and "copying" - which is not helped by the retarded ads that tell you "You wouldn't steal a car, would you?"

So they think, since they BOUGHT a copy of the music, they should be able to COPY it and it's not STEALING.

However the law was not written by logically concerned people, but by those bought by the pocket books of the RIAA.  The law is that you cannot COPY the music.  This includes taking your cd and copying the files to an mp3 so you can put them on your ipod or listen to it at work and leave your cds in the car. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319276,00.html

Now, we wouldn't want to break the LAW, now WOULD WE?  :roll:
Right on, thanks James. Not that I'm going to change anything - or admit to.
Civil 3D 2013 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 01:55:00 pm »
That can't be a true story, it was on Fox News and we all know Fox News lies about everything.

M@yhem

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »
That's sort of like saying I have an '88 Toyota (vinyl) but I want an '11 Toyota (digital) instead so I'm just gonna take this '11 Toyota.  What??  They're both Toyotas (music)!  I already own one from a LOOOONNNNGG time ago.  Why shouldn't I have a newer one for free?

That, sir, is stealing, but I'm not here to judge.
AutoCAD?  What the hell is AutoCAD??

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 02:06:25 pm »
That's sort of like saying I have an '88 Toyota (vinyl) but I want an '11 Toyota (digital) instead so I'm just gonna take this '11 Toyota.  What??  They're both Toyotas (music)!  I already own one from a LOOOONNNNGG time ago.  Why shouldn't I have a newer one for free?

That, sir, is stealing, but I'm not here to judge.

Your analogy is incorrect .... what I have is a '58 Edsel ... while I might like a '11 Edsel they don't make them .. can't get it .. so, I can either repaint mine or find someone who has a '58 Edsel that has already been repainted.

Jim H.

• Gator
  • x322x
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:07 pm »
So to be "legal", I gotta pay the $ whether I want to copy my vinyl to mp3, or re-buy the digital version?

Then as I understand the law, all the albums I copied to cassette in the 70's were illegal?  They just didn't bother with prosecution back then?
Resistance is futile.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »
So to be "legal", I gotta pay the $ whether I want to copy my vinyl to mp3, or re-buy the digital version?

Then as I understand the law, all the albums I copied to cassette in the 70's were illegal?  They just didn't bother with prosecution back then?
you are correct...
right along with those VHS tapes you made copies of too   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jim H.

• Gator
  • x322x
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 04:41:10 pm »

you are correct...
right along with those VHS tapes you made copies of too   ;-)
THOSE tapes!?!  :whistle:
You cannot prove they exist!!!

Resistance is futile.

JCTER

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 04:41:16 pm »

Yea, a lot of people don't realize the significance of the first four letters of "Copyright"

You're not alone.  It's awesome how many people I know who recorded audio from the radio, copied cassettes, copied VHS tapes, rip cds to their computer, burn mix cds, made mix tapes, copy files from their discs to their ipod/zune/etc...  who are super quick to condemn "piracy"  :roll:

CmdrDuh

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 05:20:14 pm »
I dont know if they still have it, but Radio Shack had a turntable to mp3 recordplayer for about $120. comes with the software to do it yourself
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's pretty close