Author Topic: Lynn Allen talking about AutoLISP...  (Read 18895 times)

StykFacE

Re: Lynn Allen talking about AutoLISP...
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »
It would be great if a few guys from here would make a tutorial explaining the VLIDE interface. Just watching over a virtual shoulder would explain so much and get some people a good jumpstart it would seem.

curmudgeon

• Newt
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
on the Vlide interface, I am most happy to say I have my old autocad running quite nicely under Wine on Maverick Meerkat. but the Vlide interface has some bug. I have to close Vlisp to get autocad back, rather than being able to tweak and test immediately.

but maybe it will sharpen my skills, having a handicap.
 :ugly:
Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
Suggestion: Why don't you guys learn a Text Editor (instead of relying on the VLIDE); There are plenty to choose from (not so many Cross platform but there are some).

The reason I say that is because the VLIDE does not have a good editor (Its basically Windows Notepad with indents and colors). A good text editor is valuable beyond measure and will serve you very well.

I am sure you have seen me talk about the editor I use (Vim) before but have also heard of the steep learning curve...if you wanted to try out one of the two Cross platform "power" editors (Vim and Emacs) you can try Cream Vim--which is the Vim editor that replaces the "normal mode" (akin to paper space in AutoCAD sorta) with scripts--with a very small learning curve. Cream isnt Vim per'se (all the scripts in the world cant replace the usefullness of `normal mode') but it is a good start.

But anyways, im sure several other users will attest to the value of learning a good Text editor. I know several users use Ultraedit (I do not think it is Cross Platform though) and some use Notepad++ (I do not think that one is Cross Platform either though).

TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

danallen

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
Textpad also, has syntax files for color display of autolisp.
http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/syna2g.html

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 04:49:23 AM »
Suggestion: Why don't you guys learn a Text Editor (instead of relying on the VLIDE); There are plenty to choose from (not so many Cross platform but there are some).

The reason I say that is because the VLIDE does not have a good editor (Its basically Windows Notepad with indents and colors). A good text editor is valuable beyond measure and will serve you very well.
< ... >

You got one with integrated debugging capability and dynamic help , etc ...

I personally use UltraEditStudio for stuff crafted out of AutoCAD ... I'd use it more except for the lack of integration.

... but we've been having  this discussion for at least 15 years :)
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:35 AM »
help-yes.
debugging-besides my brain, no.
etc-some, not all.
...but then I don't use "my" editor for just autolisp.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JCTER

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 09:08:17 AM »
notepad++ has LISP in it's languages.  I don't do LISP enough to be picky, and don't write large enough or intricate enough routines that it matters much to me, but it helps me remember to close my () which is all I really wanted.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »
Lee, let me take this chance to tell you I appreciate your tutorials at your site, AND concur with your assessment of the difficulties inherent in "teaching" lisp.

Thanks curmudgeon  :-)

curmudgeon

• Newt
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 10:56:41 AM »
many thanks for the continuing thread - NOTEPAD++ RUNS NICELY UNDER WINE
and is therefore cross platform at least in theory. I had forgotten. I will install and test today.

confession:
I have not mastered all the commands yet, no surprise, but I actually use the Vlisp help file.

:-P

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »
I actually use the Vlisp help file.
No shame in that. If the help file wasn't there, I'd be completely lost. It's a pain remembering all that random syntax.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »
I actually use the Vlisp help file.
No shame in that. If the help file wasn't there, I'd be completely lost. It's a pain remembering all that random syntax.

Me too - there's always a function that you don't use too regularly that requires looking up the syntax.

With all the talk about Editors in this thread, I still hold that the VLIDE is by far the best editor for AutoLISP - its got all the syntax highlighting, parenthesis matching, indentation and word completion but also has debugging facilities and demand-loading and a direct link to the help documentation - all of which makes everything much quicker.

Notepad++ is also a great free editor, I use it for writing the code for my site. I would note that although it has LISP as one of its supported languages, this is Common LISP and hence won't highlight those functions specific to AutoLISP. Of course, that doesn't stop you adding the AutoLISP syntax to the language file...

JCTER

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2011, 11:12:35 AM »

Notepad++ is also a great free editor, I use it for writing the code for my site. I would note that although it has LISP as one of its supported languages, this is Common LISP and hence won't highlight those functions specific to AutoLISP. Of course, that doesn't stop you adding the AutoLISP syntax to the language file...
HTML/PHP/CSS is actually what got me started loving Notepadd++ :)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
ultra edit > everything else

of course, productivity and writing pleasure is not everything
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

curmudgeon

• Newt
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »
HTML/PHP/CSS is actually what got me started loving Notepadd++

I have not done enough to have a firm opinion on HTML/PHP/CSS, but if you get a minute, you might also check out Kompozer.
I stuttered a bit installing Notepad++ on Linux, because you don't have to install it. One of those old fashioned Windows programs where you just execute the EXE file. Too simple for my old gray cells.

I LOVE THE WAY IT COLLAPSES NESTED STATEMENTS.
that is one thing Vlisp never did.

onward. someone drink a beer for me.   8-)

curmudgeon

• Newt
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
Of course, that doesn't stop you adding the AutoLISP syntax to the language file...

give me a rain check on that one. I'll be back.