Author Topic: I've died and gone to CAD mouse heaven...  (Read 27203 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
I've died and gone to CAD mouse heaven...
« on: May 05, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
My Logitech MX518 finally crapped out on me - 4 years is enough to make me happy. So, I decided to splurge and buy the Razer Naga MMOG and this thing is a beast. 14 programmable buttons (plus 3 standard) and the provided software has a built-in macro recorder. It was a bit more than my cheap-ass would like to pay, but it's proving to be well worth it.

Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

JCTER

Re: I've died and gone to CAD mouse heaven...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
Dang dude, you totally one-upped my mouse.  I got the Razer Diamonback, which only had 4 programmable buttons (beyond the normal buttons) and I really only use the two my thumb can reach.  It has two on the opposite side, but I hate using my pinky for anything other than letting people know how pretentious I am, when drinking tea.

Let me know how that thing pans out, because this Diamondback is about 4 years old and that's like 80 years old in people years, and I may want an update some time :P  I ain't really diggin' the Razer/Belkin/Nostromo n52te thingamajig, so much.  Gonna keep it though since my software is changing a bit and I might find uses.

I -love- the Razer programmable mouse macro recorder thing, though.  Super easy to use, imo.

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Oh, and with the laser on that mouse, you can crank the mouse speed -way- up on that puppy :P

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 05:42:57 PM »
Theres a few users in my office with that mouse.  When I sit at their desk to resolve computer issues, I have a hard time distinguishing between the umpteen side buttons.  Maybe for the young 'uns who are used to playing SOCOM or MW...
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
Theres a few users in my office with that mouse.  When I sit at their desk to resolve computer issues, I have a hard time distinguishing between the umpteen side buttons.  Maybe for the young 'uns who are used to playing SOCOM or MW...
It's actually made for MMORPGs like World of Warcraft.

Nobody plays FPS games on a COMPUTER anymore... pft... ;)

But yea.   Game mice = awsm CAD mice.

But I can see how that mouse with all it's buttons can be confusing to you old timers... :-D :-D :-D

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:09:09 PM »
when I used that very same style 16 button puck in the olden days, back when methuselah was a young buck, I had it programmed to multiple menu levels ... it took some getting used to, but after a while, almost every conceivable command was on the dang thing ...

Looks like I might need to get one of them thar newfangled devices ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »
@alanjt's pic:  What dahell? Is that a "real" mouse? Can you actually use the thing (looks like if you move your hand you are going to hit at least a button or two and "launch" "something")?  ...and whats with the lights (I dont do a lot night drafting myself)?

My mouse looks...naked now.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
*blink-blink* I just did a search on Amazon for gaming mice and ... *blink-blink* ...what is a RAT9 and why does it cost a $130?! and what does the "adjustment tool" adjust?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JCTER

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
@alanjt's pic:  What dahell? Is that a "real" mouse? Can you actually use the thing (looks like if you move your hand you are going to hit at least a button or two and "launch" "something")?  ...and whats with the lights (I dont do a lot night drafting myself)?

My mouse looks...naked now.
The lights are annoying as heck, and you can get purple, blue, red, or green, last I checked.  Some are brighter than others.  The blue one will light up a room like crazy.  I remember falling asleep on the couch one night, and mouse on the computer desk in the corner lit up the entire living room and dining room like it was day time, it seemed like.  I couldn't go back to sleep until I unplugged it.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:29:52 PM »
The lights can be turned off (which I did shortly after I took the picture since the wheel and the logo on back light up) if you install the software, which you'll want to do if you want to use the macro recorder. I'll keep everyone posted on my usage. I bought it on my lunch break and since I took a 2hr lunch and spent the majority of the remainder of the day sitting at other people's machines helping, I didn't get to run it much. I'll give a full report next Thursday. So far, I love it. I've only programmed a couple of the keys, but it's really nice and there isn't any issue with accidentally clicking a button with you thumb.
The only thing I don't really care for is the set of two buttons beside the left-click button, but I think I only don't care for them because my fingers aren't quite long enough. I'm sure I'll come up with something good for them and eventually not think about it, but with 12 other programmable buttons at my thumb's disposal, I'm sure I'm good.
Dropbox

JCTER

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »
FWIW, I find that the less ergonomically located buttons are good for commands like QSAVE or something like that.  If you're like me, a QSAVE comes with a couple seconds to crack your knuckles or stretch your legs and go harassing someone for wearing something stupid looking, or trying to grow a beard and coming out with something almost as good as what I can grow on the top of my foot.

That last part might not apply, but hey, use it if it works for ya.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
FWIW, I find that the less ergonomically located buttons are good for commands like QSAVE or something like that.  If you're like me, a QSAVE comes with a couple seconds to crack your knuckles or stretch your legs and go harassing someone for wearing something stupid looking, or trying to grow a beard and coming out with something almost as good as what I can grow on the top of my foot.

That last part might not apply, but hey, use it if it works for ya.
Not a horrible idea. I've always just used Ctrl+S for QSave. I do take those times to harass people in the office, but sadly, I'm the only one with a beard.
Dropbox

StykFacE

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
I do take those times to harass people in the office, but sadly, I'm the only one with a beard.

Is it the same style beard as the Epic Beard Man? **please tell me yes, please tell me yes, please tell me yes.....**

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 01:31:31 AM »
I do take those times to harass people in the office, but sadly, I'm the only one with a beard.

Is it the same style beard as the Epic Beard Man? **please tell me yes, please tell me yes, please tell me yes.....**
Not quite as long, but not far off. However, when it warms up, I keep it pretty short - gets hot as hell in FL.
Dropbox

RGUS

• Newt
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
I still love my 4 buttom Summagraphics mouse (puck)... you guys know the one... the one where you never have to lift it up, it mimicks the screen nomatter wher you move it... I quess it's all about eye/hand co-ordination. But.... maybe all those buttons could be the new interface to AutoCAD, where you need never move the mouse at all...LOL