Author Topic: AutoCAD 2012, gripes and hypes  (Read 25426 times)

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
Re: AutoCAD 2012, gripes and hypes
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
AUTOSTACK

We have autostack on, set to delete the leading blank such that 3 1/2 becomes 3½ as soon as you hit the 'space' after 1/2

However, it seems like independently, we've all assumed the same behavior when entering text in a table or when the fraction is the last character in a string.  We type "3<space>1/2<space><backspace>"  To get the 3½.

When you hit the <backspace> to delete the space after ½, it -un-stacks the fraction.

So far, we've all just changed our muscle memory to hit the space bar TWICE after the fraction string, and backspace TWICE to account for it.  One user was just cussin' up a storm because he's entering numbers into a BOM he has to fill out manually for some reason, this time.

Has anyone else came across this?

Have you tried just putting the quote mark after the fraction?  I'm still running 2011, but when I type in the fraction, I put the quote right after the fraction and it creates the stack and removes the space in between the whole number and the fraction.  No need to backspace.

Quote from: Krushert
Has anyone ever found the on/off variable for this?  I would love to set and ensure the settings for this via the start-up code.
I agree, I hate having to manually adjust this every time I enter a drawing.
On a side note, I know you can, after putting in the fraction, highlight JUST the fraction, then right-click.  In the menu close to the bottom, there is an entry; Stack Properties.  But I have not yet searched out the entry to see where it is pointing.
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JCTER

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »
The problem is I don't want the " in that situation.  I put the string in quotations, I see how that is misleading.  But I just want;

3 1/2

to result in

With no character at all after the fraction.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »
Screwed up 2011 license.

I had this same issue with 2010 (you on subscription?) Apparently when you activate a newer group code, the old one becomes invalid. I had to send an email to get a new license for my OLD software  :-D.
Ditto.

You can do that via subscription if you are set up as a "Contract Manager" on the account.  It requires that the Owner, or whatever the top level is, grants you that access level when you are signed up on the contract as a user.  Then you can request all the serial #s and look up product codes and older-version supported serials and etc etc without dealing with tech support.

I waited to long and 2011 got locked-out

I could not find that in subscription center and 2012 and 2011 serial number would not work, but
This Worked
the serial number in file located on my computer

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm\ACD2012en_USRegEmail.xml

JCTER

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 08:02:23 AM »
That damn NAV CUBE won't go away on two users' computers.

I turn it off and it comes back as soon as another drawing is opened.  I don't get it.  The setting stuck on my computer and others.  It won't 'stick' on two computers.  I save their workspace settings after turning off the NAVVCUBE even, though that wasn't required for me.

Buh.  Annoying. 

justnobody

• Mosquito
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
Array option inside of the copy command when specifying 2nd point.  Love It! :-)

JCTER

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
I actually find the Win7 thing annoying.  It makes it such that alt+tab has to cycle through each DRAWING and no longer just the acad.exe process.  I still use Shaan Hurley's "mditabs" for my drawing selection within autocad and like it.  I get complaints from other users if I forgot to add it to their Startup Suite so I know it's a hit with them too.

Does anyone know if this is something I can change?

I typically have 3+ drawings open and it makes alt+tabbing between applications VERY annoying.  As it is now, when I hold ALT+TAB, I see a separate window for each DRAWING I have open, rather than the old way, where I saw only one window for AUTOCAD entirely.  CTRL+TAB did, and still does, allow me to cycle through drawings, as well as having Shaan Hurley's mdiTabs.arx display a tab for each drawing at the top.

ETA:

OH GEEZ.  Apparently it's an age-old sysvar I forgot about.  It's simply TASKBAR=1 by default, whereas apparently, before, it was always defaulted to 0.  That's all it is/was.  Man.  Some of these ancient dusty sysvars I have never touched... make me feel silly.  I thought it was some new fangled Windows 7 version of Autocad 'feature'
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:37:21 PM by James Cannon »

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »
Does it help if you turn it off in the template dwg, like turning off that annoying grid

JCTER

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
Does it help if you turn it off in the template dwg, like turning off that annoying grid
I'll check and see, but it happens if they open a drawing, turn it off, close that drawing, and then reopen the same drawing.

I'll check our template .dwg and see, though.

ETA:  I just opened the .dwt and the navvcube did not come up for me.  /shrug

Worst case scenario, I add something to their acaddoc.lsp or whichever file is appropriate (need to google that) but I would rather find the real issue rather than simply band-aiding it.

ETA2:  Well shoot, i googled for the online help file, and this CADTutor thread showed up: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?48974-Turning-the-Navv-Cube-off-permanently with a solution.  I don't know why I couldn't/didn't find that last time I was googling.  Oh well!

I guess I just kept overlooking it in the options.  After testing, the user in question confirmed it has kept the wheel from popping up on -any- drawing, so it works.  I have no idea what it changes that the sysvar wouldn't.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:30:48 PM by James Cannon »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 09:45:02 PM »
Anyone found a productive use for the new nudge command?
That is besides playing a wanna be PacMan game or to drive a object around your file while making motor sounds.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

JCTER

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:11 PM »
Anyone found a productive use for the new nudge command?
Yea, I started using for this one thing where I ..
That is besides playing a wanna be PacMan game or to drive a object around your file while making motor sounds.

uh.

nevermind. :(

KewlToyZ

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »

I turn it off and it comes back as soon as another drawing is opened.  I don't get it.  The setting stuck on my computer and others.  It won't 'stick' on two computers.  I save their workspace settings after turning off the NAVVCUBE even, though that wasn't required for me.

Buh.  Annoying. 

Have you tried loading it in the acad2012doc.lsp?
Code: [Select]
;NAVVCUBE
;Enter an option [ON/OFF/Settings] <ON>: OFF
(command "NAVVCUBE" "OFF")
(prompt "\n   NAVVCUBE Turned OFF ... <Type NAVVCUBE at command prompt to turn on again> !!\n")

KewlToyZ

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:05 AM »
I have an issue and I am not sure if it is the new version or a setting....
When I imported TIFF images in the past I would get a useful negative image of it for tracing scanned files.
Now I get plain color images. No option to change the display of it i can see. Hard to trace or use.

While posting this I thought it may be because it is a color TIFF instead of monochrome, going to try that too.
I'll post back with the results, but let me know if you have other settings.

PDF works in color and appears as a negative image, but,..... I get FATAL EXCEPTION crashes when Autosave or QSAVE runs.
I even tried optimizing the PDF's, didnt fix the crashes. So I am looking at other options.
I tried changing vid drivers but no success.
The NVIDIA AutoCAD Performance drivers still after 6 years, refuse to recognize any of the AutoCAD verticals and won't install.

JCTER

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »

Buh.  Annoying. 

Code: [Select]
;NAVVCUBE
;Enter an option [ON/OFF/Settings] <ON>: OFF
(command "NAVVCUBE" "OFF")
(prompt "\n   NAVVCUBE Turned OFF ... <Type NAVVCUBE at command prompt to turn on again> !!\n")

That was going to be my last resort, but I wanted to avoid it as it's a less-elegant solution and really just masks the problem instead of solving it. I did solve it, though, as I updated in a more recent post.  It seems that the OPTIONS dialog changes something differently than the system variable does.

I was under the impression that the OPTIONS dialog is just a GUI to change the SYSVARs as relevant to the issue you're toggling.  It appears, however, that the NAVVCUBE sysvar is drawing specific, whereas the OPTIONS dialog (3D Modeling  tab, Display Tools in Viewports section, Display the viewcube - check boxes) seems to change something differently than the SYSVARs can do, because the settings in the OPTIONS dialog are persistent across the application.  Users report never seeing the NAVVCUBE again after I changed their OPTIONS settings.

sinc

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »

As a general rule, you shouldn't edit the acadXXXX.lsp or acadXXXdoc.lsp files.  Those generally get clobbered when you install service pack updates or reinstall your software, so you can lose edits you place in those files.

Instead, you should create an acad.lsp and/or acaddoc.lsp file, and put your stuff in those.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
Thanks gents !!!