Author Topic: AutoCAD 2012, gripes and hypes  (Read 25051 times)

Bob Wahr

AutoCAD 2012, gripes and hypes
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
Something with 2012 that you like a lot, or dislike a lot, post it here.

I'll start with a gripe.  hatch selection is/can be ridiculously slow.  If I select a hatch with ar-sand as the pattern, and no command active, I get a 3-15 second delay in the selection, presumably while it analyzes each dot.

Nibster

Re: AutoCAD 2012, gripes and hypes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »
I don't know when I'll (ever) install it.  I hear they didn't "address" (fix?) the issue with the drivers for 3Dconnexion mice that they messed up in 2011. 

Must have been that they decided that 3Dconnexion was making Autocad too enjoyable to use so they made the decision to make that capability "native".   :realmad:

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »
If you look at the supported software list, you'll notice that 2011 isn't, but 2012 is supported again.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Nibster

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
If you look at the supported software list, you'll notice that 2011 isn't, but 2012 is supported again.
i never thought of looking there.  if it works well for me i'll send you a completely grateful, yet absolutely platonic, e-smooch.

^-^

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
I like that in WIN 7 the application icons actually show the drawings that are open.  Avoids using Autocad P.O.C. version of it.

I like selection preview dialog.  Much more user intiutive.  

I have yet to run it thru it paces to really find what I do or don't like.

Edit:  BTW I am thinking I am really not going to like the new help.  Not that I like it that much before.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

StykFacE

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »
Avoids using Autocad P.O.C. version of it.
:lmao: :lmao:

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »
Screwed up 2011 license.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »
Screwed up 2011 license.

I had this same issue with 2010 (you on subscription?) Apparently when you activate a newer group code, the old one becomes invalid. I had to send an email to get a new license for my OLD software  :-D.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

JCTER

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:21:49 PM »
Screwed up 2011 license.

I had this same issue with 2010 (you on subscription?) Apparently when you activate a newer group code, the old one becomes invalid. I had to send an email to get a new license for my OLD software  :-D.
Ditto.

You can do that via subscription if you are set up as a "Contract Manager" on the account.  It requires that the Owner, or whatever the top level is, grants you that access level when you are signed up on the contract as a user.  Then you can request all the serial #s and look up product codes and older-version supported serials and etc etc without dealing with tech support.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
Screwed up 2011 license.

Ditto.

You can do that via subscription if you are set up as a "Contract Manager" on the account.  It requires that the Owner, or whatever the top level is, grants you that access level when you are signed up on the contract as a user.  Then you can request all the serial #s and look up product codes and older-version supported serials and etc etc without dealing with tech support.
Because of the one sign-up thing, I have not felt like going through the

logout and have password I can't remember sent to e-mail,
sign -in get serial number,
then sign-out,
and sign back in with user that is setup at different sites. 

Bob Wahr

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
Screwed up 2011 license.

Ditto.
hmmm. I have 2010 and 2012 loaded and running fine.
I like that in WIN 7 the application icons actually show the drawings that are open.  Avoids using Autocad P.O.C. version of it.
Haven't decided how I feel about it.  I'll probably get used to it and like it swell.  Was pretty jazzed about it in win 7, just used to the tabs in acad.

JCTER

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
I actually find the Win7 thing annoying.  It makes it such that alt+tab has to cycle through each DRAWING and no longer just the acad.exe process.  I still use Shaan Hurley's "mditabs" for my drawing selection within autocad and like it.  I get complaints from other users if I forgot to add it to their Startup Suite so I know it's a hit with them too.

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 03:28:04 PM »
I like that you can extend mleader lines to the text, to avoid gaps when you have lines in your text that are longer than the first line.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

JCTER

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
AUTOSTACK

We have autostack on, set to delete the leading blank such that 3 1/2 becomes 3½ as soon as you hit the 'space' after 1/2

However, it seems like independently, we've all assumed the same behavior when entering text in a table or when the fraction is the last character in a string.  We type "3<space>1/2<space><backspace>"  To get the 3½.

When you hit the <backspace> to delete the space after ½, it -un-stacks the fraction.

So far, we've all just changed our muscle memory to hit the space bar TWICE after the fraction string, and backspace TWICE to account for it.  One user was just cussin' up a storm because he's entering numbers into a BOM he has to fill out manually for some reason, this time.

Has anyone else came across this?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 04:44:08 PM »
AUTOSTACK

We have autostack on, set to delete the leading blank such that 3 1/2 becomes 3½ as soon as you hit the 'space' after 1/2

However, it seems like independently, we've all assumed the same behavior when entering text in a table or when the fraction is the last character in a string.  We type "3<space>1/2<space><backspace>"  To get the 3½.

When you hit the <backspace> to delete the space after ½, it -un-stacks the fraction.

So far, we've all just changed our muscle memory to hit the space bar TWICE after the fraction string, and backspace TWICE to account for it.  One user was just cussin' up a storm because he's entering numbers into a BOM he has to fill out manually for some reason, this time.

Has anyone else came across this?
Has anyone ever found the on/off variable for this?  I would love to set and ensure the settings for this via the start-up code.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans