Author Topic: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [Discussion]  (Read 27059 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
Re: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [Discussion]
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »
That's the way it works: if you type in "LL" (the shortcut for the really long command name) the form displays at the cursor. 
Cool
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 07:03:48 PM »
*Thread bump*

In response to the above discussion: we will be using theSwamp SVN server for our code so managing or having several different "versions" of code will not be a problem. -i.e. having a stdDCL or an ODCL "version" will not be a problem.

jbuzbee,
you are more then welcome to join the team. You can develop a ODCL version (of course, you don't have to either; you can just "fork" ours.) However, I apologize if I missed your "sign up", I didnt mean to leave you out of the team at all. Let me know your thoughts or plans.

Chris,
How is the template for the docs coming along? What are your thoughts? Are you going to use MS Word and convert to HTML.  Or do you plan on using an HTML editor; Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or whatever (I dont know if either of those exist anymore, I just tossed out those product names because those are the only two I remember)?

dgorsman,
How does our repository look? Are we good to go? Can I `check out' yet?

TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
Chris,
How is the template for the docs coming along? What are your thoughts? Are you going to use MS Word and convert to HTML.  Or do you plan on using an HTML editor; Dreamweaver, Frontpage, or whatever (I dont know if either of those exist anymore, I just tossed out those product names because those are the only two I remember)?
To be honest, I havent really gotten that far on it, I've been a little swamped.  I'm going to use a simple tree format, similar to the example you provided.  From my stand point there isnt too much of a point of going overboard on it.  For the html code, I plan on using Notepad ++.  I find it is easier to just code straight, than to have another program do it.  It gives me more control over how the code is structured, and easier to keep it modular IMO.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »
yeah me too (Ive been swamped too, that is).

> notepad++
cool! Let me know if you can use any tools (maybe if i can write a small helper app for ya i will do what i can).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
Repository should be good to go.  Just a couple of reminders to all contributors:

• Tortoise SVN client download for those that need it: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
  • Check and update your local copies on a regular basis
  • Each function should be in its own file, in one of the sub-folders under "trunk" e.g. error handling functions go under ...\trunk\Error handler
  • Develop, test, *then* commit a working copy to the repository
  • The repository URL is https://www.theswamp.org/svn/public/7WIP

Chris, I've put in a "Project Docs" folder for documentation; add sub-folders there as necessary.  HTML files (as text, yes?) can be posted to the repository the same way as the LISP files; image and other non-text files can also be added but will need to be checked in/out which may require some coordination.  As you work through the documentation, commit operations will distribute your latest works to everybodies working copies and as people commit their changes you will also have access to the current program configuration.

Se7en, I've added a "Job jar" directory under the repository root.  When you need specific tasks to be done, put them into a file there with along with any notes, requirements, etc.  Might be useful to have a separate file to list all the jobs so the status can be tracked, or it can be done in the job file itself.  Or, reconfigure to suit your needs.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
Thats great.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »
Ive just checkout my copy. Very nice dgorsman.

BTW, the Job Jar is a really cool idea.
> Status
I was just thinking about how we know if someone has started a job and or has claimed it and tossing out this idea.

I `update' my copy then I go check the job jar. Could we solve the tracking issue by something as simple as renaming the file (appending your name) at this point and then `commit'?

Donate to TheSwamp.org

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »
Renaming a job file would be the same as creating a new file.  There are a couple of ways I can think of for tracking.

The first is when somebody claims a job they can modify a line of text in the job file itself then commit the change.  SVN would then flag individual jobs as having a status change.  Once the job is done and the changes have been committed to the repository the job file can be updated again to indicate its status.  If there are a large number of jobs this might be a bit tedious to manage.

The second is to maintain a separate file as a jobs manifest (just a list, really) with each line looking like "Job 0001 - Unassigned - Not started".  When somebody claims a job they update the line in the manifest for that job like "Job 0001 - aUserName - in progress".  SVN would flag the manifest as having changed, so the actual change would have to be looked at to see actual job details.  Not as clear as updating individual job files but easier to see at a glance who is working on what.

With the nature of SVN, we could even have a single (or small selection of) collected job file(s) with all the jobs listed in it.

I'm partial to option two.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »
> Renaming a job file would be the same as creating a new file.
Ah, you can tell im a bit rusty with SVN things. Its been awhile.

yeah, i do like your second suggestion better too.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
jbuzbee,
you are more then welcome to join the team. You can develop a ODCL version (of course, you don't have to either; you can just "fork" ours.) However, I apologize if I missed your "sign up", I didnt mean to leave you out of the team at all. Let me know your thoughts or plans.

I'm out, sorry guys.  Good luck on your project!!
James Buzbee
Windows 8

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
Didn't you have the UI built? I'm sure it would only take a few tweaks...

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
OK, this is what I have.  I'm perplexed because I already have something similar, but I can't get this to work.  Basically, the OpenDCL form code is designed to be called as sub in the command routine where it sets the layer name to the blackboard.  The problem is it's not firing synchronously and I don't have the time to figure out why.

The short answer would be to have the OpenDCL code be the main command code and call subs in there . . . just a thought.

Sorry I don't have more time - time to go make some money.
James Buzbee
Windows 8

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »
Thanx jbuzbee.

I created an error handling set of files. I didnt know the best way to coordinate variable names, procedure names, etc. so i created three simple procedures. (Error_Start) (Error_End) ...and the generic error handler (Error). These are pretty generic, we can replace, redo, delete them; but i wanted to get the error ball rolling.

You will find them and a example usage in the "Trunk/Error Handler" directory.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
I'd rather not use the SVN system, so attached is my contribution to the DCL part of the project  :-)

A test function has also been included in the file for convenience.

Regards,

Lee

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
oh that's too bad. Is there any particular reason Lee; maybe someone else shares your sentiments and will be unwilling to participate in future projects. If we have the opportunity to address and fix those concerns now...

At any rate, thank you for the submission. Will you still be available for any revisions or additions?

Donate to TheSwamp.org