Author Topic: How do you handle your sections & elevations?  (Read 13400 times)

StykFacE

How do you handle your sections & elevations?
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:52 AM »
Using AutoCAD MEP 2011.

I have a current job that I'm working on and the way I'm doing my sections and elevations have become quite cumbersome. I have my mechanical piping model that is a chilled water system with 16" supply and return pipes. I'm taking sections and elevations at certain spots in the drawing to visualize running through chases, running out of the building to the chiller yard, showings the chilled water pipe under the raised floor in the data center building, etc.

I now have about ten different sections and elevations spread out of my drawing model. I was wondering if there was a way to generate these 2D Sections on another DWG file, so I can contain them all more easily without creating excessive details spread out all through my drawing model. I want to utilize them with the SSM as well. Any ideas on how I could be approaching this technique from a different angle? Thanks in advance.

barc

Re: How do you handle your sections & elevations?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
I don't use MEP, but in plain ol' AutoCAD, I use DVIEW to create (and save) "sliced" views of the model looking from whatever direction I need.  Then in paperspace simply restore those views in viewports and annotate in paperspace.  Nothing in the model but model, nothing on paper but annotations, and no 2D stuff floating anywhere.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
I believe you can generate sections from xrefs.  So you could have all of your piping, ductwork, slabs, etc... xref'd into a "SECTION" drawing where you create your sections.  The only downside is that you'll have to keep regenerating them as you modify things.  Switch to Revit!  :)
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

StykFacE

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
Good ideas, I'll give them a try. I have a feeling this will be an ongoing process to find what suits me best. ;)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »
Are you using the built in MEP elevation annotation tools?

StykFacE

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
Yessir, I sure am. I really like how it turns out too. They work very well for me. I just wished I could gain the same results but have them housed in a separate DWG file, something named "Elevations.DWG" or alike.

butzers09silverado

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »
If you had Civil 3d you could build alignments profiles and corridors or use a pipe network

StykFacE

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
Too bad I'm not in the Civil business.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 04:58:21 PM »
Using AutoCAD MEP 2011.

I have a current job that I'm working on and the way I'm doing my sections and elevations have become quite cumbersome. I have my mechanical piping model that is a chilled water system with 16" supply and return pipes. I'm taking sections and elevations at certain spots in the drawing to visualize running through chases, running out of the building to the chiller yard, showings the chilled water pipe under the raised floor in the data center building, etc.

I now have about ten different sections and elevations spread out of my drawing model. I was wondering if there was a way to generate these 2D Sections on another DWG file, so I can contain them all more easily without creating excessive details spread out all through my drawing model. I want to utilize them with the SSM as well. Any ideas on how I could be approaching this technique from a different angle? Thanks in advance.
I suggest using LIVE Sections
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

StykFacE

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, what does a Live Section have over normal sections? Just curious from an experienced user instead of a help file is all.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, what does a Live Section have over normal sections? Just curious from an experienced user instead of a help file is all.
First a link to the help...because it is helpful.   ;-)

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/search#WS64d9a2f0cce095131796abef985cc14ba-7f8a.htm

Then a real world spoken word version.

This tool is similar to using Front and Back Clipping planes to 'see' through a section of the model.
This tool lets one see all model objects as if one could take a knife and chop through the model.
All model objects are sectioned in 'real time' and there constituent parts are displayed as defined by the display styles.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

StykFacE

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »
Ah, so you're saying I can use Live Sectioning on the XREF's in the View, rather than cluttering the original file? Is that a correct assumption?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
Ah, so you're saying I can use Live Sectioning on the XREF's in the View, rather than cluttering the original file? Is that a correct assumption?
by XREF's; you will be using the Project Manager to add the constructs and elements to the drawing from which the Live Section will be produced and views to same will be shown in viewports on layout tabs.

yes
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

StykFacE

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
Sweet! I'll try it out and let you know how it works. Thanks again Higgs. ;)

StykFacE

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 03:47:11 PM »
And Bam!!! Worked perfect. Man that helps my procedure so much... thanks again Higgs for the tip!! :)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »
Sweet!

You say that to all the guys.   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MexicanCustard

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »
I seem to have come to the party late but what I do is:
1. create a view (using Project Navigator) bring in all the floors that matter to the section
2. create a live section/elevation
3. annotate the live section

This way any changes I make to the model are always reflected in my section view and all I have to do is fix the annotation.
Revit 2019, AMEP 2019 64bit Win 10