Author Topic: Image Path Options  (Read 11812 times)

M-dub

Image Path Options
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »
I'll apologise for a confusing post ahead of time... Sorry.

This is from the help file.

Path Type

Specifies one of three types of folder path information to save with an attached image: an absolute path, a relative path, and no path. For a complete description of each option, see Set Paths to Referenced Drawings in the User's Guide.

Full Path
Specifies the absolute path to the image file.

Relative Path
Specifies a relative path to the image file.

No Path
Specifies only the image file name. The image file should be located in the folder with the current drawing file.

Any tests I've done to try to PROVE these options work as they say they do have apparently been foiled by our EDMS because it 'keeps track' of the files for us (in most cases).

Our issue:

Master Drawings reside in read only folders / libraries.  In this case, I'm referring to hybrid drawings where ABC-1234.DWG has ABC-1234.GP4 attached to it.
When we need to modify one of these scanned drawings, we sign it (the .dwg and .gp4) out to a separate work area and update as required and save.
When the drawing is 'As Built', it gets signed back into its library.
-Here's where the confusion begins-
When someone views the drawing with an external viewer, the drawings often come up showing the image's frame only. (plus any vector objects added to the dwg) because the drawing was last saved, referecing the .gp4 in the work area that no longer exists. ( FULL PATH, right? )
We CAD guys don't notice this because our EDMS (Adept) knows where all the files came from and went.
I thought that inserting the image with NO PATH meant that as long as the two files reside in the same directory that there would be no issues.

I don't have access to a machine that I can get access to our drawings WITHOUT our EDMS, so I can't test it.  Can someone confirm that NO PATH is the option I want to use, keeping our 'workflow' in mind?

Let me know if it's not clear enough.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Image Path Options
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »
That is how we do it also.  I wonder if the viewing program doesn't work the same as autocad?
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
I just want to make sure that the dwg will load the image that is in the same folder.

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:01 AM »
And the second thing I want to figure out is how to set the default if it's even possible.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:01:55 AM »
With Acad, it will load if it's in the same folder.  I don't think I have ever had an issue with it not.

I don't know what you mean by default.  Here is what the help says about image paths

To locate the image file, the program searches the following paths and folders in the following order:

Path specified when the image was attached
Folder containing the current drawing file
Project search paths specified on the Files tab of the Options dialog box
Support search paths specified on the Files tab of the Options dialog box
Start In folder specified in the program shortcut

And that is how mine works, even for xrefs.
Tim

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
Sorry, by default, I'm referring to the path setting when an image is drag & dropped from Explorer, etc.

I'll post back when I find out more.

Thanks Tim.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
You're welcome Mike.

Funny.  I just tried what you said, and it didn't even work for me.  It doesn't know the ' -image ' command when dragging in the file, but you can type it, and it will work.  It looks like it is running a lisp routine to attach the image, at least here it is '09 Elec, named ' imagefile ', where you need to supply a path to it.
Command: (imagefile "C:/test/test.TIF")
Unknown command "-IMAGE".  Press F1 for help.
Unknown command "ATTACH".  Press F1 for help.
Unknown command "C:/test/test.TIF".  Press F1 for help.

Maybe if you redefine the lisp, you can change the default path to the image.  Just a guess though, and I don't know where that lisp is defined.  To see if yours is the same, just drag it in, and after it's done, hit the up arrow key to see what command it called.  Just a little FYI that I found out just now.

Sorry for the ramble.
Tim

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Old post, but a) it's mine and b) I need to revisit it.  :)

I still haven't been able to find out where or IF we can set the default Path Type to NONE.

I would also like to know how you change the path type of an image already inserted into the drawing.

If anyone knows...

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »
Will the setting persist if you set it in your DWT?

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »
I do not know of a setting but in registry there is

ISM

And for the dialog box under Dialogs

Xattach

BlackBox

• King Gator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:29:49 AM »
If simply setting a registry key is not persistent, then just use a (command?) reactor to modify the attached images path programmatically.

I have a reactor 'shell' I can offer as a strafing point, if that becomes necessary (I use it to set a specific layer current when bringing in images, XREFs, etc.).
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »
But will the external viewer still be able to view the image files if they're in the same location as the drawing?
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
The 2013 xref command has had a bit of an update allowing users to edit the saved path directly in the Attach dialog box.  I'd be surprised if the image command didn't get the same treatment.

http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/autocad-2013-almost-here-14333?page_id=3
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

M-dub

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:23:38 PM »
Interesting...

I'm going to try a couple things and post back later... Still would like to know if anyone knows how to change the path to NO PATH without detaching the image and reattaching it...  I wish this was one of the image's properties.

danallen

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
In 2005 I have the bonus command "REDIR" to change paths of images and xrefs, and the lisp does an ENTMOD on the image dictionary, group code 1.  I could post the code except for the license agreement. PM me and I can send you the code.

Dan