Author Topic: Converting Acad Proxy Entities  (Read 18509 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Converting Acad Proxy Entities
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
I have a large topo file and I've been asked to reduce the size by trimming out the contours not needed.
Exploding will lead to a billion little line segments and prob make the file size huge.

Is there a way to convert them to plines that can be easier to manipulate and a second issue would be how to trim the plines all with different z's using vanilla 05?

Thx's!
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Converting Acad Proxy Entities
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:57:04 PM »
I have a large topo file and I've been asked to reduce the size by trimming out the contours not needed.
Exploding will lead to a billion little line segments and prob make the file size huge.

Is there a way to convert them to plines that can be easier to manipulate and a second issue would be how to trim the plines all with different z's using vanilla 05?

Thx's!
First, I would ask whomever sent you the file to create a 'cropped' surface showing only the area you are interested in. Or send me the data and I will do it for you.
Then I would ask that they use "Export to Autocad" to send you the dumbed down contour objects as polylines, Or I would do this with the data from the cropped surface.

A trim 'By Fence' would work on your polylines after they had been 'flattened' to zero. I would be creating those contours already at zero for you in the above procedure.  If the source of the file has Civil 3D they could do all of the above for you.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
Prob solved.

Someone in another office, don't know how yet.

Thx's!
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »

Thx's!
I've always just exploded it, deleting everything outside the crucial area, used "MPEDIT" to convert all the lines to PLINE segments, and JOIN them into continuous PLINEs as necessary.

FWIW to anyone else.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »
Thanks James
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.