Author Topic: Why does this door disappear?  (Read 3551 times)

craigr

Why does this door disappear?
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:44:50 AM »
In the attached drawing, when I explode the Block indicated, the door disappears.

If I explode the DOOR first, then everything stays.

Why?

I have never seen this happen.

Thaniks in advance,
craigr

Nibster

Re: Why does this door disappear?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
it doesn't for me.  does it reapear when you regen?

craigr

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
I just now downloaded the file and exploded it with the Fence from Right to Left over the Left side of that window and the door does disappear.

If I just click on the window it doesn't.

So there must be more than one block there.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »
In the attached drawing, when I explode the Block indicated, the door disappears.

If I explode the DOOR first, then everything stays.

Why?

I have never seen this happen.

Thaniks in advance,
craigr
perhaps it is on a frozen or off layer?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

craigr

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
All Layers are on.

JCTER

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
I just now downloaded the file and exploded it with the Fence from Right to Left over the Left side of that window and the door does disappear.

If I just click on the window it doesn't.

So there must be more than one block there.
Probably because you're selecting more than just the window.  You're selecting the entire wall by using that selection method, and this drawing was probably originally created in some Architecture/Architectural-Desktop software where the wall is an "assembly"

Assemblies do goofy crap when modified outside software that knows how to read it.

Just 'PICK' the windows to explode them.  Don't explode more than you intend to.

The wall 'assembly' has certain 'smart' features to it that try to do what it thinks you want when you do things like delete doors and windows.  When you explode them, the wall 'thinks' you deleted them, so it fills in the wall to replace the removed window/door. 

Similarly, exploding the wall removes all the nice cutouts it had for windows and doors.

craigr

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:16:07 PM »
I typicall explode EVERYTHING by zooming out and selecting the entire building at once.

For our purposes, we get floorplans from other contractors. I put everything on ONE layer called 'Floorplan' then lock that layer and add our equipment throughout. the building.

This makes it easier to manage our various layers. All I want on this 'Floorplan' layer are walls, doors, windows, etc. No HVAC, electrical, THEIR notes.

I guess I better not explode it that any longer.

I think you got it by suggesting they are 'assemblies'. It's probably something that AutoCAD LT doesn't handle well.

Thanks for the input.

craigr

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
If LT has express tools, try "aecobjexplode" to simplify those objects. If not, Drawing True View will do it for you while converting.
CAD Tech

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
Yep it is a Architectural Desktop cad File with smart walls and windows.  

I have converted it down to plain acad 07 for you.  See attached.

TIP!  One of the quick ways to see if you suspect that you are dealing with smart walls is to change the view to an Isometric view.  The iso view will show that walls have elevation.  As mention above you can either run the file thru Drawing True View or get somebody up the supply chain to "dumb" it down.  A good architect will do this for you.  But we know how few and far those are.
 :-P :evil:

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans