Author Topic: Reflector's timebomb  (Read 5769 times)

jgr

Reflector's timebomb
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »
Coming March .NET Reflector is no more freeware..
Okay, not expensive, but it contains a time bomb and in my country (Spain-Europe Community ) this is not legal,
and therefore the developer is committing a 'crime'. But the time bomb may be removed by reverse engineering

In Europe many types of software licenses not be legal (They are not legal, but nobody does anything, because there are a lot of money by) just because the physical is always on the logical. And everyone is entitled to know that doing a show on our pc even if you have to use reverse engineering.

What do you think about this?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Reflector's timebomb
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:10:19 AM »
What you call a timebomb I call a 14 day trial.
... why is that not legal in the EEC ??

I find it perplexing that you talk of a software trial as being not legal while you also talk of reverse engineering software as if it is acceptable.

You are correct about the product being not expensive : $35, #65, $90 is VERY reasonable.

Re-reading your post :
< .. >Okay, not expensive, but it contains a time bomb and in my country (Spain-Europe Community ) this is not legal, < .. >
Are you saying it is BOTH paid for and time limited at the same time ???
I've been using a paid version (integrated into Visual Studio) for quite a while and haven't been aware of a time limit.

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:26:10 AM »
I assume it is not the trial option but that the tool just stops working after a certain period. Like now, you have to upgrade if there is a new version available. The old one refuses to work. Most software will continue even if there is a new version.

I'm not sure if it is illegal in the EEC or just in Spain. It is also not clear if this is a time bomb or a trial version. At least there is a paid version after you used a free version for a certain period (till March).
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

pkohut

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »
Coming March .NET Reflector is no more freeware..
Okay, not expensive, but it contains a time bomb and in my country (Spain-Europe Community ) this is not legal,
and therefore the developer is committing a 'crime'. But the time bomb may be removed by reverse engineering

Version 7, for release in March, will be a paid version, will not contain "time bombs", or "force updates". What's illegal with that?

Red Gate has announced that it will charge $35 for version 7 of .NET Reflector upon its release in early March. Version 7 will be sold as a perpetual license, with no time bomb or forced updates.
From Red Gates website, it sounds like they might have forced updates in the prior/current free versions. But since there is no forced update to the new paid version, no harm no fowl.
New tread (not retired) - public repo at https://github.com/pkohut

pkohut

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »
... while you also talk of reverse engineering software as if it is acceptable.

Is that your moral compass speaking there? Mine says it is acceptable.
New tread (not retired) - public repo at https://github.com/pkohut

jgr

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
What you call a timebomb I call a 14 day trial.
... why is that not legal in the EEC ??

I know the difference between freeware, trial, shareware... I'm talking about version 6 (freeware),This version does not work after some time.

In the EC it is not legal to add hidden features (or not documented) like easter Eggs or timebomb. And
reverse engineering is allowed but not 'cracking'

I use v6 Pro

Open source projects:
http://wiki.sharpdevelop.net/ilspy.ashx
https://github.com/jcdickinson/Monoflector

jgr

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
... while you also talk of reverse engineering software as if it is acceptable.

Is that your moral compass speaking there? Mine says it is acceptable.
Sorry, I searched the translation but can not find it.I hope not mistaken:

My moral compass just says do not kill and do not steal.

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »
I have to agree with jgr on this one, time bombs are pretty lame. 

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
I have the free version, is my computer going to blow up?

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »

Yes, you better start wearing safety glasses 

jgr

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 10:36:58 PM »

Only if you press F1. But if you press CTRL+W destroy the world

Off topic, About Reverse engineering
If someone does not like this, or thinks is the devil: Search Ilasm.exe & Ildasm.exe on your computer (.NET folders and MS Windows SDK's folders) and delete it (These are products of microsoft, so deletes the operating system), And do not search how to ILASM.exe & ILDASM.exe over the internet!

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 05:26:01 AM »
Is getting IL from a dll (which is basically a binair IL file) and translate it into VB or C# the same as reverse engineering?

It might be the same process as opening a Spanish Word doc (which is also binair), copy the text and put it in Google Translate into English.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

jgr

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »
Is getting IL from a dll (which is basically a binair IL file) and translate it into VB or C# the same as reverse engineering?

It might be the same process as opening a Spanish Word doc (which is also binair), copy the text and put it in Google Translate into English.

???????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenier%C3%ADa_inversa
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9tro-ing%C3%A9nierie

About Reverse engineering & ILDASM, search over the internet
Is not illegal (informacion), but think about what you do with this.

For me this issue is finished because it creates a bad atmosphere and the issue is sensitive. Bye

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:13:23 AM »