Author Topic: using profiles?  (Read 11705 times)

pmvliet

using profiles?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 08:57:14 PM »
the profile will only create a *.arg file when you export it Since it is written in the registry. The *.arg file is really a regedit or a partial extraction of that.

Pieter

CADaver

using profiles?
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 10:06:59 AM »
Exporting the ARG is not required.  You only need to do that to move a profile to a different machine.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
using profiles?
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 11:31:11 AM »
You are correct, but if the user wants to specify an "on-load" profile in the shortcut, then the profile will need to be exported.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

using profiles?
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 12:33:00 PM »
Quote from: KEB
You are correct, but if the user wants to specify an "on-load" profile in the shortcut, then the profile will need to be exported.

er... no... once it's named in the registry, just include the profile name in the shortcut with p/, the exported ARG is only required if you wish to move that profile to a different machine.

Test me on this.  Open ACAD, in OPTIONS create a new profile called testCADaver or something.  Then exit ACAD. Copy a shortcut and edit it's target line to add   /p testCADaver.  When you execute that shortcut it will boot into that profile.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
using profiles?
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2003, 01:17:58 PM »
Well then perhaps I will try that..I have been known to be wrong..this could very well be one of those cases..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

daron

using profiles?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2003, 09:34:44 AM »
/p "T:\network path\%username%.arg"

There's what my target looks like, partially. All the other users profiles are exported and their .mnl, .mns, .dll files are all in the same directory. This way, if they log on to any other computer with their login name (username) it loads their profile. No thinking required. Just make sure you export your profile if you make any changes to the system, including appload or anything under options.

hyposmurf

using profiles?
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2003, 05:08:07 PM »
Following on from that I want to compare my arg file with that of a CAD department on another floor.I have both arg files & used the  SETVAR command to list the system variables.Is there anything else I can do to establish what differences there are between our set ups?Apparently the arg file doesn't store all your configurations.

pmvliet

using profiles?
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2003, 07:08:34 PM »
Profiles hold more then variables, they set printers, search paths
user preferences etc... If you open the arg file in notepad, you could print that out... Maybe use a file compare utility that can look at the text within.

Pieter

daron

using profiles?
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 09:28:22 AM »
html editors will make it look perty too, readable even.