Author Topic: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]  (Read 35516 times)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Group Project: Change item(s) to Layer [VOTE]
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
If "Boss" isn't intended to be singular (or E Street   :-P ), I can be on board for scheduling, QA/QC, and other admin whatnots.  Maybe some documentation as well.  Would be nice to earn that hereditary title of "Master of Assassins" back...
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:25:47 PM »
If "Boss" isn't intended to be singular (or E Street   :-P ), I can be on board for scheduling, QA/QC, and other admin whatnots.  Maybe some documentation as well.  Would be nice to earn that hereditary title of "Master of Assassins" back...

We can have a sign up or vote or whatever. I will put 110% into what ever postion i am offered. Should we start the sign up?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »

We can have a sign up or vote or whatever. I will put 110% into what ever postion i am offered. Should we start the sign up?

No problems here.  I think the "admin staffing" should be handled first, since providing scope and preferred coding langauge will in part determine who will want to contribute what.  After that

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

hermanm

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
Did I miss something?

LAYMCH

Quick Reference
See Also

o Use Layers to Manage Complexity

Changes the layer of a selected object to match the destination layer.

Access Methods

Button
 Ribbon: Home tabLayers panelMatchNot available on the ribbon in the current workspace.
 Menu: FormatLayer ToolsLayer MatchNot available in menus in the current workspace.
 Toolbar: Layers II

Summary

If you enter -laymch at the Command prompt, options are displayed.

List of Prompts

The following prompts are displayed.

Select objects to be changed: Select an object to change its layer

Select object on destination layer or [ Name]: Select an object or enter n to open the Change to Layer dialog box

Select Object on Destination Layer

Select an object on the destination layer.
Name

Displays the Change to Layer dialog box.

If you create an object on the wrong layer, you can change its layer to the one you want using LAYMCH.

Topics in this section

* Change to Layer Dialog Box

Displays a list of layers to choose as the destination layer. You can also create a new destination layer.
    * -LAYMCH

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 01:46:50 AM »
Did I miss something?

Maybe this part?
2. I realize this project can be done by one person but the act of working in a group is my overall objective (It will not only strengthen member ties but allow others to learn).

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 08:00:07 AM »
A contribution:

Code: [Select]
(defun ChangeEntityLayer ( entity layer )
  ( (lambda ( entitylist ) (entmod (subst (cons 8 layer) (assoc 8 entitylist) entitylist)))
    (entget entity)
  )
)

[color=green]Purpose:[/color]
Function will set the layer of the supplied entity to the specified layer.

[color=green]Arguments:[/color]
entity  -  [ENAME]  Entity name of entity to process
layer   -  [STRING] Name of layer, will be created if non-existent

[color=green]Returns:[/color]
Updated DXF Data list if successful, else nil.

A handy wrapper function demonstrating usage:

(defun c:test ( / ss la i )

(if
    (and
      (setq ss (ssget "_:L"))
      (setq la (getstring t "\nSpecify Layer for Selected Objects: "))
    )
    (repeat (setq i (sslength ss))
      ([color=red]ChangeEntityLayer [/color](ssname ss (setq i (1- i))) la)
    )
  )
  (princ)
)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:42:28 AM by Lee Mac »

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 12:48:01 PM »
Please note: I am trying to ballance honestly with politness with the following post (grain of salt -> you). ...why i feel the need to prefix a post and or be diplomatic in responce in a acidemic enviorment is another thing.

hermanm, thank you but this is a group project to create something (anything). In that, each person takes a task and builds something. If you feel this isnt a good project (I would appreciate your thoughts) please recommend another (I took a shot in the dark at something I felt would offer the most opportunities for people of all levels of experience to contribute to).

Lee, thank you for your `contribution' but let me try to be as nice as I can and try to explain what/how that was "not" what this thread wanted at this time (For the record: I am assuming that *I* did a poor job explaining myself and *you* were only trying to help--if this isnt the case let me know so that I can adjust my score card accordingly-).

The word `contribution' means "gift". -i.e. was/is it your only intension to `contribute' this piece or would you like to sign up to be a member of the team? I am not saying that I dont appreciate your `contribution' or the quality of it but I cant promise that it will get used because I dont know who and what their influences are/will be for making that particular piece.

Now, please let me try and better explain my intentions to try and eliminate all confusion.

I wanted to start a group project (several members talking/sharing ideas/working together) to assemble a final product (each person takes a task and contributes). Years ago Mark or I (I dont remember who originally came up with the idea) wanted to ask one of the BSD developers to run a group project here on theSwamp but it never happened.

This may be too small of a project to try and assemble a team on but I am not exactly sure why I am having problems assembling a group of people to work on a project together (I have tried to eliminate "time", "difficulty" and "lack of tools" so-far). Are there any other factors I need to eliminate to get a group of people to work on a project together (what am I missing)? I feel I am being totally honest and upfront with my questions and desire for help but I feel like I am being ignored and I am about ready to give up.

I put a LOT of work into the LispFileProcessor tool because (besides the fact that I felt that we lacked a good tool; logistically speaking) I honestly feel that the group project experience could lead to several other--larger--group projects and set this site and its members apart from all the others (I dont feel that there should be any question in anyones mind that theSwamp is the best place on the internet for AutoCAD help--I want to bury the other sites-).

A group effort will allow people to learn about or refine knowledge about other methods, tools, thought process', etc. For example: Allow people to use and learn how to use a SVN server (theSwamp) and give people in-site into what other people consider reliable or useful code or tools.

Should I quit? Was my time wasted?

I dont know how else to explain myself/my thoughts. If anyone else can do a better job, please do so.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

LE3

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
Per my experience...

- Tried something similar many moons ago - not here at the swamp, end up me doing almost everything.

- Tried to have a group to write apps, opened a web site, wrote all the based, then me was the only one doing all.

- Many times have posted some routines, and got no replies et al - today I see that as normal, and do not get it as a personal.

- All of the above moved me into simple upload basically all of my own stuff (that can be shared) as open source, that way if someone find it useful, they can use it, and there is no connection, and that's it.

- Nowadays, if I can share or help, I simple do it, and that's all.

My 2 pesos worth, if any :)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
LE, I dont like it but I understand what you are saying. However, if you ever wanted to start a group project again, you can count me in.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

barc

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »
I think I get it  (think so anyway) and I like it.  As a coding neophye wanting to learn I also like the idea of a smaller, simpler project exactly like the one outlined here.   Working together (regardless of task or even result) we will accomplish several things, among them ; building working relationships that will be useful later on major projects, learning interesting techniques employed by other coders, discovering unique specific talents of specific contributers, and not the least of which would be teaching a goober like me PROPER coding techniques, plus a bunch of other "community/code" building benefits.

(If I'm close se7en nod, if not slap me and make me walk home nekkid'). 

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »
*Se7en: nods*

Donate to TheSwamp.org

barc

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
sweet, I'm close  ... and I ain't walkin' .... today's a good day all around.

Okay, sign me up.  I'm no coder, but I can break stuff, and I have an eye for a turned phrase.  So, if you'll have me, I can help with beta testing and the documentation side writing/editting.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
Here are the steps as I see them (please add to them if you see the need):

1. Establish concice criteria.
2. Have member signup
3. Chose roles / Member election
        (
        soldiers divide code into tasks [ list functions to be created],
        Assassins decide on documentaion format [txt, doc] for soldiers,
        Lieutenant decides on package format [zip, exe, installer] and
                   decides how soldiers code will be assembled
                   [from peices, from files, from posts],
        Boss assigns soldier tasks, and helps facilitate extra tools
                  [if lieutenant decides a SVN is to be used (s)he
                  would ask Mark to set up SVN access]
        )
4. Work.

We are in step #1.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »
Seven, I'll get one of the balls rolling here.  Just had a brain dump while re-installing AutoCAD on a borked laptop.  Like you mentioned, its a bit early to be getting into the code.  Personally, *not* starting with code was one of the hardest habits to break.

The final product will be two products capable of being loaded "blind" into an existing AutoCAD system without interfering with other customization.  The "release" version will be a single, self-contained compiled FAS file.  The "dev" version will contain a small number (~4-5) of raw LISP files.

A few general guidelines:

• The project will be coded in LISP, to keep management simple.
  • Both Visual LISP and DXF/(entmake...) functions will be acceptable.  I'm hoping to get a SubVersion of this going with separate branches for each.
  • All functions and global-scope variables will be prefixed by "7WIP:" e.g. 7WIP:functionName, 7WIP:variable_name.  This will avoid ambiguity and interference with other projects.
  • Use of globally scoped variables will be minimized
  • Function and variable names will be verbose e.g. 7WIP:functionName not 7WIP:fNm; layer_list not llst.
  • Each function will be preceded with comments describing the type and expected input for each argument, and the type and expected return value.  A brief outline of what the function does will also be included.
  • For now, each function will have its own file to assist with management.  Once things get spun up the files will be combined and we will use the Swamps SubVersion repository for diff'ing checked out code.

Division of code:
  • Error module: error handler, system variable stack handlers
  • User interface module: dialogs
  • Core module: actual work goes here
  • Support module: common support functions called from multiple locations, global variables

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 05:01:21 PM »
Lee, thank you for your `contribution' but let me try to be as nice as I can and try to explain what/how that was "not" what this thread wanted at this time (For the record: I am assuming that *I* did a poor job explaining myself and *you* were only trying to help--if this isnt the case let me know so that I can adjust my score card accordingly-).

Ok, maybe I jumped in a bit quick with the code - I saw you were getting agitated by the lack of interest, so I jumped in to get the coding ball rolling and perhaps generate some more interest when members see something getting started.

The word `contribution' means "gift". -i.e. was/is it your only intension to `contribute' this piece or would you like to sign up to be a member of the team?

I think the 'sign-up' aspect is what may be detering some members from threads of this nature - note that most come here to browse and come and go as they please as a release and form of relaxation from work, and hence don't want to be tied down to another project outside of work as well, where there may be some expectation for them to contribute something to the project. Furthermore, I don't think too many will be overkeen on the 'rank' system - I realise there needs to be structure and that tasks may be delegated to different users, but I would remove the word 'boss' if you catch my drift.

Overall I understand your intention - to inspire the community to work together to everyones strengths, so that members can learn from the coding (and perhaps organisational) strengths of others and vice versa; and I completely agree that it would be a good idea. But, (and maybe I'm wrong here), I should imagine many may view this as 'work' and won't want to get involved on top of a hectic day job - of course, as I've demonstrated, I'm personally happy to contribute to the project.

As always, take my thoughts as a pinch of salt and don't read too much into my thoughts of the community as a whole, I'm likely way off.

Lee