Author Topic: 3d pipe or cylinder break line.  (Read 6519 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
3d pipe or cylinder break line.
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »
Anyone know a good way or have routine , block etc..... for a break in a 3d pipe

JCTER

Re: 3d pipe or cylinder break line.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:16:33 AM »
Anyone know a good way or have routine , block etc..... for a break in a 3d pipe

I always just slice the thing to break it out, and add the symbol in paperspace over the viewports where it shows.  I'll usually create a cylinder on a non-plotting-layer to bridge the gap to make sure it's clear what's going on in case I forget.

I once tried 'translating' the typical broken-cylinder 2d symbol into a nifty 3D Object, and it made my head hurt and I gave up.

Guess I'm no help, other than offering a workaround.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
uh-oh if you saying it was hard I have no chance.

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »
uh-oh if you saying it was hard I have no chance.
With the current mesh modeling tools available it's likely a lot easier than when I tried it a couple years back.

It's just that it you simple revolve that 2D symbol, it's not a good result.  And on the other hand.. I was trying to make something more complicated than it really needed to be.  It was more of a curiosity exercise.

Give me a minute and I'll see what I can whip up now.

However, the situation begs the question of how -effective- such a symbol is.  I have no idea of what/where/when you will be applying this.  I find it kinda strange you're breaking the 3D model itself.  But I can think of a couple cases where that might be the path of least resistance.

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »
Here's my first attempt at a 3D interpretation.  I'm not satisfied completely, so I'm gonna mess around.  This is a pretty interesting shape to try and create/represent.

Thanks for the challenge.

v2010 dwg - lemme know if you need it saved down.

JCTER

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
I think Autocad is starting to poop CMUs on me - it began hanging up for 30-45 seconds at a time when I WBLOCK'd out the models here.  Drawing attached, -002.

I give up.  Got too hard to translate that two symbol to how I thought it'd be in 3D.

Otherwise, I'd just have to use the 2D extruded simple result in the latter -003 dwg.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
It smells like sh!t in here.

That's because James you are the shi!t.

Thank you so much, it looks great and will work perfectly!

Hopefully I can somehow repay the favor one day.

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
I'm one of those nerds that finds that stuff fun.  :|  I like it when people post this problems to The Third Dimension section :P  Gives me an excuse to play.