Author Topic: VBA: the future?  (Read 4396 times)

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
VBA: the future?
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »
Ok, so I realize that I'll probably upgrade to a 64 bit operating system in the near future, but, I'm not going to upgrade AutoCAD (I have 2009). I'm not going to be doing anything heavy: I might be doing conceptual design but that's about it.  So my question is: will VBA operate as expected on a 2009 / 64 bit platform?  Speed?

OpenDCL isn't progressing as expected, sorry Owen and crew.  I can do wonderful things with VBA forms and VLisp.  Should I go back??
James Buzbee
Windows 8

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: VBA: the future?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
VBA works fine in 2009 on a x64 system. The slowdowns you've heard about only affect x64 versions of AutoCAD and it's verticals.

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:26 AM »
So if I'm just using VBA for my VLisp forms I should be fine?  I don't do a lot of "vertical coding" because of the inherent problems: they didn't do a very good job exposing the api.
James Buzbee
Windows 8

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »
Oops, since Civil3D wasn't available in x64 flavor until the 2011 product I forget that Acad had x64 long before that. If you are using the 32 bit version of 2009, you won't see any slowdowns. If you are using a 64 bit version (if it was offered...I honestly have no idea when the first one was available) then you will likely see some slowdown. How much, I can't say as I've never tried it. I have avoided the VBA enabler for my C3D2011x64 just because I don't want to find out...I'm happy moving on with .NET.

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »
I'm happy moving on with .NET

Man, if I had the time . . ..
James Buzbee
Windows 8

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
I'm happy moving on with .NET

Man, if I had the time . . ..

If you only use it for forms to support LISP, its not that much more time than VBA.  To me, that makes it a good time investment.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}