Author Topic: What would you want in a set of Xref tools?  (Read 24567 times)

Crank

• Water Moccasin
Re: What would you want in a set of Xref tools?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »
When you have to sent your drawing, the receiver doesn't have the same drive structure, so I can imagine it would be usefull to strip the part of the structure that's specific for your own company. (example: K:\drawings\project\partnumber\xref.dwg)
eTransmit
I can be mistaken, but I think with etransmit you have no control what part of the path you want to keep.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

barc

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
When you have to sent your drawing, the receiver doesn't have the same drive structure, so I can imagine it would be usefull to strip the part of the structure that's specific for your own company. (example: K:\drawings\project\partnumber\xref.dwg)
eTransmit
I can be mistaken, but I think with etransmit you have no control what part of the path you want to keep.
If its going to a client, you probably don't know what to keep (at least I don't for mine), so I strip it all and place all the necessary files in a single directory for transmitting.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »
Setting Paths

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-5d95.htm,topicNumber=d0e148663
Sometimes it's good to read the manual when you've been doing something the same way for many years. :)

I think with very little coding you can make all options available. A preview of the result would be welcome, because the descriptions are to vague for ordinary users.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »
Setting Paths

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-5d95.htm,topicNumber=d0e148663
Sometimes it's good to read the manual when you've been doing something the same way for many years. :)

I think with very little coding you can make all options available. A preview of the result would be welcome, because the descriptions are to vague for ordinary users.

That's the page I was reading Jeff.

I'll see what I can come up with along those lines then Crank.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »
Have MIRRTEXT work with Xref files, many people would like that one a whole lot.

I don't know how to make that one work.  A real quick issue would be if the user has more than one of the same xref plan in the drawing, and one was mirrored.  Text is a pretty static entity, so it would only want to show one way.

The only thing I can think of right away, would be to make all the text/mtext entities into constant attributes.  But then the issue of if the text changes, what do you do?  I don't see an easy answer.
Tim

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
A nice feature/tool to have, would be for it to go and fetch a cup of coffee or a beer.  Could you program in something like that? 
 :-P :evil: :-D
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
A nice feature/tool to have, would be for it to go and fetch a cup of coffee or a beer.  Could you program in something like that? 

Sure.  Just need your credit card and social security number first.  Just PM me the information, and I'll get right on it.   :wink:
Tim

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »

Sure.  Just need your credit card and social security number first.  Just PM me the information, and I'll get right on it.   :wink:
:-D
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

barc

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »
Here's a request I've not yet found anywhere;
I'd like a tool that creates a CSV file (or similar) that contains the XREF name, path, insertion point, scale, rotation, insertion layer and nest parents if any.  Is there one of those floating around the swamp anywhere?  I did a search, but I'm less than halfway through a 24 page result, and I'd kinda like to use the tool before I retire.

Appreciate any help,

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

barc

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
Thanks Michael

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »
Here is another offering.  Will need to be edited to suit your needs, but it will allow you to get all that you want.

[ http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=28062.0 ]
Tim

barc

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »
Thanks Tim ... just reading the thread hurts my head  :?  need to ruminate on that one a bit. 

I did point out somewhere I don't know nuttin 'bout codin' didn't I??   :wink:

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
Thanks Tim ... just reading the thread hurts my head  :?  need to ruminate on that one a bit. 

I did point out somewhere I don't know nuttin 'bout codin' didn't I??   :wink:

If you did, I must have missed it.   :-)

Maybe someone will put something together for you from it.  If not, then if I have time I might get you something, but that doesn't look like it will happen soon.
Tim