Author Topic: AutoCAD 2012 New Feature Summary  (Read 17157 times)

Crank

• Water Moccasin
Re: AutoCAD 2012 New Feature Summary
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
  • Nudge - You can nudge objects by using the arrow keysImplied selections - When you pick a point outside an object, in addition to windows, you can now access Fences, Window and Crossing Polygones.
AWESOME!! Revit has had it for years!  BEST. COMMAND. EVER!!
You will not like the Autocad version: It creates 'bad' drawings, because the distance is almost random. :realmad: :ugly:
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:24 PM »
  • Nudge - You can nudge objects by using the arrow keysImplied selections - When you pick a point outside an object, in addition to windows, you can now access Fences, Window and Crossing Polygones.
You will not like the Autocad version: It creates 'bad' drawings, because the distance is almost random. :realmad: :ugly:
Same with Revit.  The farther out you're zoomed, the greater the nudge distance.  The tighter the zoom, the smaller the nudge distance.  (if that's the way it works in AutoCAD)  It's still a great tool.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
Same with Revit.  The farther out you're zoomed, the greater the nudge distance.  The tighter the zoom, the smaller the nudge distance.  (if that's the way it works in AutoCAD)  It's still a great tool.

Why is it a great tool?  I can't think of any time I've ever wanted to move something an unspecified amount, save for moving crap out of the way while I needed to change something it was attached to - just to move it back into place later.  For instance I just moved a segment of this header out of the way so I could rearrange the order of this ball valve, coupler, check valve, pcv, coupler - add a 45d wye, and then I moved the pipe stubs back in place and shortened the one that needed shortened.  It was easier to work with it off to the side out of the way.

Why do you nudge things?  Curious

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »
Why do you nudge things?  Curious
To make the ducts fit between the steel, pipes, cable trays, light fixtures, rated walls, conduits....  When you're modeling in a 3D view and you see all of this "stuff" around you, you don't necessarily know how many inches left, right, up, down to move something.  It's easier to "nudge" it into place.  You're trying to make it all fit.  It's not like the sheet metal guys are measuring off the plans... "Okay, let's see here... 2 feet... 3 and 17/32 of an inch.  Got it Louie?!!?"

Structural is more accurate... not much nudging going on there.  Lighting... well, they line up with the grid so.... nudging is a no-no.  UNLESS... they're wall sconces or emergency wall packs.

The nice thing about nudging (in Revit) is that everything stays connected.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
Ah, yea, duct work and other field fab'd stuff... yea, totally wasn't thinking outside my own box.

I try to keep all dimensions 'rounded' so I always move things.  I don't want ridiculous dimensions showing up when I pull them on plans.  I want nice numbers.  The only exception is when it's forced such as when I want the Bottom of Pipe to all line up, but need to label pipe centerline elevations... obviously is not going to work out nicely - especially with multiple pipe sizes on that row.

Yea, I can definitely see how you'd want that, I guess. :)  move could be a few more clicks I and invite accidental-snapping to objects that throws things -way- off.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
Quote from:  James Cannon
I can't think of any time I've ever wanted to move something an unspecified amount

Ditto.
That's also why I can not understand the apparent fascination with so called 'dynamic' tools.  If I wanted stuff dynamic I'd take up graffiti.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

JCTER

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »
Quote from:  James Cannon
I can't think of any time I've ever wanted to move something an unspecified amount

Ditto.
That's also why I can not understand the apparent fascination with so called 'dynamic' tools.  If I wanted stuff dynamic I'd take up graffiti.

I've used dynamic blocks and grips a lot.  I love them.  I use dynamic blocks to quickly change pipe size, because my boss hasn't got off his butt to buy me CADWorx.  I use them to consolidate block libraries for quicker/easier use and later replacement.  I use dynamic linear grips with incremental (emphasis there) distances to have standard details for foundations and typical sections.  I use dynamic grips on 3D objects that can have them for quick and easy modification that saves me LOTS of steps that would previously have required a foray into the SOLIDEDIT command and a lot of typing.

They can also be coupled with numeric input to be both dynamic and calculated.  So there is that.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »
James,
I wasn't referring to dynamic blocks ; they have a legitinate role in accurate drawings
I meant the 'dynamic' tools where objects get placed/scaled/located/arrayed in a non-consistant arbitary fashion.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 04:54:48 PM »
I can envision that 'auto complete' function to be just as functional as CLIPPY ever was.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
James,
I wasn't referring to dynamic blocks ; they have a legitinate role in accurate drawings
I meant the 'dynamic' tools where objects get placed/scaled/located/arrayed in a non-consistant arbitary fashion.
Oh these new copy and array things.  Sorry, I totally misunderstood.

I am still uncertain of their usage.

However, a parametric array has potential, I think.  Whether it be a pile spacing for a foundation layout, or possibly... hhm.  I am having trouble thinking of appropriate applications, honestly.  It seems to me that it would be 'smart' to create an array that is parametric though, rather than simply copying things in two axes and never again having them being grouped/linked in any way.  I can't recall WHY, but I -can- recall making a block of a large array of items so that I could isolate and edit the pattern in the block editor as a way to fix things on the back end.  However, that was more of a "this one needs to move over... this one needs to be deleted... we need 3 piles at this node, actually" type of thing, which is outside the scope of a parametric array.

I don't know.  It could be that I 'got nothin' on this one.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »
I am a bit curious to ask you folks some questions about 2012.
First thing I am noticing about 2011, unusually long file saves to 2007 format, even with INDEXCTL set to 0.
Has anyone else noticed this? If so, does it seem improved?

Some things I wish would be fixed that have been an issue for a very long time or in 2011:
1.) Audit command, pass 2, extremely long pauses with no indication if its really working for users.
Often times when this occurs, windows 7 states the program is not responding.
Watching system resources there seems to be nothing utilized when audit seemingly hangs at this point.

2.) XREF manager, why can't I highlight and copy the previous path and filename to copy and paste then abbreviate instead of manually typing it?
Always seemed a bit useless to display and not have it able to utilize.

3.) ability to turn off Comm Center seemed to be removed in 2011.

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 03:27:23 PM »
Raster file support has been expanded to include several new file formats, including MrSID, ECW, and JPEG2000.
Excellent ....

It has always been there.  Just install the raster object enabler.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
Raster file support has been expanded to include several new file formats, including MrSID, ECW, and JPEG2000.
Excellent ....

Dude! That's, like, extra work.  :roll:
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
Excellent ....

I know but now I don't have to. 8-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »
Excellent ....

Dude! That's, like, extra work.  :roll:

True. 
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."