Author Topic: AutoCAD 2012 New Feature Summary  (Read 16891 times)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: AutoCAD 2012 New Feature Summary
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
What, first there was complaining about too much new stuff each year without fixing, now there's complaining that there isn't *enough* new stuff and *too much* fixing??   :?

Its a good point about the three-year cycle - they are at the end of the current one so it doesn't make much sense to make big changes.  If they follow the previous schedule there should be a major revamp of the core in the next cycle along with a new DWG format, and that is where I expect the big things to come about.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »
What, first there was complaining about too much new stuff each year without fixing, now there's complaining that there isn't *enough* new stuff and *too much* fixing??   :?

Its a good point about the three-year cycle - they are at the end of the current one so it doesn't make much sense to make big changes.  If they follow the previous schedule there should be a major revamp of the core in the next cycle along with a new DWG format, and that is where I expect the big things to come about.
Then why not do a new release every three years and offer an annual updated bag of goodies for the in between years?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
Alright, here are a few things to note about 2012:
  • Many begged to have existing features and performance fixed first, this was done, so I would not complain about that. Yes, it might seem more like a service pack worthy slate of features when looking at the list, but there is enough to warrant a new release.
  • The array command has no interface during creation (there is a ribbon interface for modifying arrays that has already been created), which leaves a lot of room for the developers on here to make some money by making one.
  • In addition, there are bugs in the array command, which can be worked around, again making an interface will help a lot of people and an enterprising person could make money off of it.
  • Performance has GREATLY improved.
  • Even with the bugs and missing interface
  • Those items that have been "discontinued", such has BlipMode, ScreenMenu and such can be restored by using the redefine command.
  • Content Explorer - Only works on Windows based servers, will not index external hard drives. Since we currently do not use a Windows based server, I have not used this feature, but seems to work well otherwise.
  • AutoDesk Exchange - CAD/IT Manager Warning: When the Apps tab launches, there will most likely not be anything you can do to prevent users from using the Apps Tab, except block the site entirely, which means that your users will be forced to use offline help. That being said, for the CAD Manager it is nice to have Apps listed in one place.
  • Viewport Controls - One of the best new features, which is barely getting any play are the viewport controls that are now in the drawing canvass, meaning, you can quickly change your views without switching to a new ribbon tab or having another toolbar taking up space.
  • Direct UCS Manipulation - You can change your UCS by manipulating the UCS icon. Again, this is getting very little play, but it my opinion is one of the better features in these release.
  • Nudge - You can nudge objects by using the arrow keysImplied selections - When you pick a point outside an object, in addition to windows, you can now access Fences, Window and Crossing Polygones.
  • Groups have been streamlined and are now a lot easier to use.
  • Command Line Autocomplete - As you type commands are suggested. This feature is very snappy and it will include custom aliases and LISP routines in the suggestions.
  • They have fixed some problems with the Ribbon and missing commands, and such.
  • There are greatly improved grips on dimensions, still some things would be nice to have, but they make editing dimensions much easier.
  • Various improvements to loading LISP routines

Again, these are just a few quick notes on AutoCAD 2012 and is not a complete list by any means a complete or detailed list, which I am sure will come out later.

cmwade77

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »

Then why not do a new release every three years and offer an annual updated bag of goodies for the in between years?
It all comes down to money, the stock holders rule, as they are who pay their salaries, so they get what they want.

drizzt

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
The MrSid file format support will be great once Map 2012 comes out!

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »

It all comes down to money, the stock holders rule, as they are who pay their salaries, so they get what they want.
Yeah, sadly, I already knew the answer. It's just frustrating how the prospect of making more money outweighs the desire to release a good, solid and bug free product for the public.
Dropbox

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »

Perception in the current market.  Other companies are releasing "new" product every year, suddenly AutoCAD looks like its sitting still by comparison.  Or even worse, it looks like a really bad, bug-ridden product that is so bad they have to spend three years to get right and can only fix problems in the meantime.  Meanwhile the competition is touting "Hey look at all our new stuff!" even if that too is buggy - they just don't advertise it.

Lets face it guys - those who control the majority of purchasing of AutoDesk product are *not* us.  They are managers and executives who don't understand the technical side and only talk with us when there is a problem.  That is who the product is marketed towards so the marketing has to be trendy, it has to be simple to understand.  We are just the ones who have to make it work.

Can any company the size of AutoDesk get away without doing 'major' yearly releases?  If so, how?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »
The HOW is simple, create a bug free feature rich product to start with.

Then whenever you do create a NEW version be sure it too is bug free and features the functions the users actually want!
Like a Ribbon that isn't broken when first introduced.  Like pipes that work as people actually design pipes.
Map interoperability with Civil 3D objects so we can really get our Civil BIM on.

Trust me people would wait for such a product. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
I would. Hell, every company I've ever worked for only upgrades every 2-3 releases anyway.
Dropbox

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
  • Nudge - You can nudge objects by using the arrow keysImplied selections - When you pick a point outside an object, in addition to windows, you can now access Fences, Window and Crossing Polygones.
AWESOME!! Revit has had it for years!  BEST. COMMAND. EVER!!
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

M-dub

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
I would. Hell, every company I've ever worked for only upgrades every 2-3 releases anyway.

That's what we do.  Even on subscription.

I hate to join in this thread re-direction so I'll stop there.

I haven't looked yet, but it sounds like there are a few interesting new features.

deegeecees

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
The only new feature of interest to me at this point in time is the Blend command. The rest of that stuff is just fluff.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 02:19:59 PM »
Fixes to most currently broken or missing features
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:24:40 PM by Higgs Boson's Mate »