Author Topic: It appears that C3D 2012 has hit the ground...  (Read 10375 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: It appears that C3D 2012 has hit the ground...
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »
That would be where I and most other users differ.
I don't do 'wish list' items. 
I simply want the functions that exist to actually function without need for work-arounds.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

drizzt

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 12:29:54 PM »
I simply want the functions that exist to actually function without need for work-arounds.

Isn't that #1 on a wish list?

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »
Why is that different than say the sheet set manager or the properties?
There is a significant hit in performance with the layer palette open, sometimes with the properties palette as well.  I dont use sheet set manager, so it is always off.  I am always using the properties palette, so it is on, but all my palettes are anchored and set to autohide.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »

Isn't that #1 on a wish list?
Not exactly; as most folks are wishing for things that do not yet exist.
Ignoring the facts that existant functions fail to do so, and asking autodesk to produce yet another feature, while ignoring the current failures. Along the lines of "wouldn't it be cool if it did this?".  I just want the things it is supposed to already do, to work without compromise. (see pipes and structure label issues as a start point for my ranting)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
There is a significant hit in performance with the layer palette open, sometimes with the properties palette as well.  I dont use sheet set manager, so it is always off.  I am always using the properties palette, so it is on, but all my palettes are anchored and set to autohide.
This would suggest you should revisit your methods so that you are not ALWAYS adjusting properties.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
This would suggest you should revisit your methods so that you are not ALWAYS adjusting properties.
I never said I was using it to adjust properties, I'm always using it to determine what the current properties of an object are.  And Always is also an overstatement, as It is set to fly out, if I were really always using it, it would be more beneficial to dock the palette so I can always read it.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

sinc

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »

One of my pet peeves is the lag time when you have to pick a point with the layer manager on. It can take time for it to roll through all the layers before you can actually being able to move it by grip.

Strange...  I don't see that.

I see a delay if I pick a Cogo Point with the Properties palette open, but not with the Layer Manager open.  And I'm running on lesser hardware than yours.

I actually leave the Layer Manager open (set to auto-hide) all the time, and don't have any issues.  Well, it sometimes loses track of things when I switch drawings, and starts throwing an Unhandled Exception (null value) error...  (Usually when I have XREF selected in the Layer Filters, along with "Invert Selection", so that the Layer Manager is only displaying all layers that DO NOT appear in XREFs, and then I switch my active drawing.)  That problem typically goes away if I close and reopen the Layer Manager, though.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 05:37:53 PM »
I never said I was using it to adjust properties, I'm always using it to determine what the current properties of an object are.  And Always is also an overstatement, as It is set to fly out, if I were really always using it, it would be more beneficial to dock the palette so I can always read it.
Try; leaving the tooltips on for your objects, and turn the properties palette off.  Or use the LIST command it's far faster.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 04:07:30 PM »
We did a webinar for some bloggers this morning to go into more picks and click feature updates of the Civil 3D 2012 product. You can see the first wave of commentary here:

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23C3D2012

And then I would suggest checking out the blogs of some of the people on that list for further development and commentary.

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
We did a webinar for some bloggers this morning to go into more picks and click feature updates of the Civil 3D 2012 product. You can see the first wave of commentary here:

And then I would suggest checking out the blogs of some of the people on that list for further development and commentary.

Jim, would you know if they are ever going to have a brg/dist style that can use points instead of objects? Or is there a way to do that already, or
has someone got a style that can do that. This is a big request from the surveyors I work with.

MJP
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:43:39 PM by sourdough »
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »

Jim, would you know if they are ever going to have a brg/dist style that can use points instead of objects, for those occasions of
when you split a line and want to label the segments between the overall line? Or is there a way to do that now. Creating extra objects
is one of my other survey type of "why didn't they make that an option yet". Has that ever been discussed to your knowledge?

MJP
SPAN LABELS,  however not by points unless one adds a line
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »

Jim, would you know if they are ever going to have a brg/dist style that can use points instead of objects, for those occasions of
when you split a line and want to label the segments between the overall line? Or is there a way to do that now. Creating extra objects
is one of my other survey type of "why didn't they make that an option yet". Has that ever been discussed to your knowledge?

MJP
SPAN LABELS,  however not by points unless one adds a line

Mike you are to quick, I re-wrote my request. But, what does your term mean Span Labels, definition please.

MJP

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
Parcel Spanning Labels

AutoCAD Civil 3D provides parcel line and curve anchor points for the creation of useful visual cues when annotating parcels. In previous releases, workarounds were used to create crow’s feet to indicate the start and end points of lot lines. These extra steps are no longer necessary.

a setting inside ones parcel label style.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:58:24 PM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
Unfortunately, as usual, there are caveats...

Only Parcel lines have the "spanning" capability, and all parcel lines involved must be in the same Site.  That means you often can't use "spanning" to label what you want.  Also, in an attempt to help with the "Style Breeding Problem", a couple releases back Autodesk made it so you can also put General Line/Curve labels on Parcel lines, but when you do this, the General label will ALWAYS use an implied "span = false".  You cannot get General Line/Curve labels to "span".  And you can't put Parcel labels on standard line/curves, so this feature didn't work so well at reducing the "Style Breeding Problem".  And Spanning doesn't work over "hard PIs".  And "hard PIs" sometimes get created accidentally when editing parcels, but can't be removed without deleting and recreating Parcel segments.  But doing THAT will often cause you to lose the assigned Parcel Numbers, Styles, UDPs, etc....

It's a constant string of troubles.   :cry:

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »
Unfortunately, as usual, there are caveats...

Only Parcel lines have the "spanning" capability, and all parcel lines involved must be in the same Site.  That means you often can't use "spanning" to label what you want.  Also, in an attempt to help with the "Style Breeding Problem", a couple releases back Autodesk made it so you can also put General Line/Curve labels on Parcel lines, but when you do this, the General label will ALWAYS use an implied "span = false".  You cannot get General Line/Curve labels to "span".  And you can't put Parcel labels on standard line/curves, so this feature didn't work so well at reducing the "Style Breeding Problem".  And Spanning doesn't work over "hard PIs".  And "hard PIs" sometimes get created accidentally when editing parcels, but can't be removed without deleting and recreating Parcel segments.  But doing THAT will often cause you to lose the assigned Parcel Numbers, Styles, UDPs, etc....

It's a constant string of troubles.   :cry:

So, a simple request to create a brg/dist label from point to point, something surveyors use all the time is still a mystery to solve. It is time
to add a second entities/object pick to make a label.  Our surveyors are requesting this. Or maybe someone could make a routine. I have an old
list routine to do it, but it won't work with applying a projection so well.

MJP

Win 10 64bit