Author Topic: Pics or it didn't happen  (Read 8297 times)

BlackBox

• King Gator
Re: Pics or it didn't happen
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
Vim is a text editor. Do a google search for it.

Re: CHM files.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=00535334-c8a6-452f-9aa0-d597d16580cc&displaylang=en

Thanks for the information.

Obvioulsy we dont understand eachother so im just gonna walk away now.

That's unfortunate... I felt that I understood your point, while not subject to the condition.

I'll try to do more listening than typing, in the future... I appreciate your time, in any event.
"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
No, im confused (I dont understand at all).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jbuzbee

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
Is there anything specific I can help with?  -i.e. show you how to do something, create a tool for you, can we work on a large project together, etc. -e.g. teach you how to use Vim, or create a Lisp STD lib, etc

I think that's what this site is all about and your participation is greatly appreciated.  I'd like to see more robust collaborations: a function library, vertical application subs, stuff like that.  I believe that to be the next milestone for OpenDCL; yes there are functions defined by the runtime but how about a sub you can download to populate a tree control?

This is a great site to learn, but the next milestone here could be some real, managed, collaborations.  However, as of now, I'm merely a spectator . . ..
James Buzbee
Windows 8

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »
... I'd like to see more robust collaborations: a function library, vertical application subs, stuff like that.  I believe that to be the next milestone for OpenDCL; yes there are functions defined by the runtime but how about a sub you can download to populate a tree control?

This is a great site to learn, but the next milestone here could be some real, managed, collaborations.  However, as of now, I'm merely a spectator . . ..

I can help with that.
Since you are only a spectator, can you point someone who would be willing to collabrate to this thread (or start a new one); maybe we can get some ideas down.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
What makes me a hack.  Well let me put it to you this way.

• I get an idea to automate something or delete a few clicks because hell I am lazy.
  • I then look at the command line to see what is happening and to what and where I would like to automate.
  • I then search TheSwamp to see if it has been done before.  If so, I download the code, and then tweek if required and then I go back to work.
  • IF not done before, I then look in my tool box of code from past projects to see what pieces I can use.
  • If the writing is within my 3rd grader mentality of code writing ability, I write the code.
  • If it is above my pay grade I go looking in TheSwamp to find pieces to fill in the missing holes.
  • I then try to mash the pieces together with a potato masher, with cutting the big chunks with a electric knife and applying lots butter to hold it all together all the while trying not to drip blood into the pot of code.  Because we all know it is not a project unless there is loss of blood.
  • I then do the taste method of numerous trial and error trips into the AutoCAD editor to debug the stone soup to get it to work. 
  • I realize I can't so I come crying to TheSwamp for help, bandaid and tissue. 
  • You guys patch me up, give me a hug and send me on my way.  For that I am appreciative and will be forever be in your debt.

I will always be a hack because I hack pieces together.  I have learned a lot and improved in my hacks and I even improved in writing code but I have no basic foundation in writing code.  And that there in lies my fault.  If I had time, I would reformat myself and start all over from bottom. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
I then try to mash the pieces together with a potato masher, with cutting the big chunks with a electric knife and applying lots butter to hold it all together all the while trying not to drip blood into the pot of code.  Because we all know it is not a project unless there is loss of blood.
:-D

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

krampaul82

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
  • I then try to mash the pieces together with a potato masher, with cutting the big chunks with a electric knife and applying lots butter to hold it all together all the while trying not to drip blood into the pot of code.  Because we all know it is not a project unless there is loss of blood.
[ :-D[/quote] I try to live my life this way!

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
In the spirit of the latter suggestions, something that I could use some help with is managing that collaborative development.  My "department" is going to expand to third person soon which means less hands-on coding and more organizing, admin-type stuff.

I think a check-in/out system is going to be necessary to avoid conflicts but I haven't found a simple one yet.  I've looked into TortiseSVN (I already use TortiseMerge for checking purposes) but since IT will never give me network access anything like setting up an SVN/Vault server isn't going to fly.  Anybody have suggestions, even if its just work practices, for small-scale code and data file management?

Maybe we could spin that off (and other related topics) into a CAD Admin Best Practices Manual "How To Be a Pointy Haired Boss (but in a good way)".
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

LE3

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
^^^
I used TortoiseSVN in the past for the code I did for cadzation (acroplot), have not been able to use a system like this one for any of the latest projects that I have worked.

I know the above does not offer any help et-all :)

chlh_jd

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
to do well in loading OPENDCL you can use this fun, perhaps
Code: [Select]
;;;load opendcl
;;; by eachy
(defun _Load_ODCL_Runtime (/ loaderp proc_arch arxname arxpath errmsg)
  (or
    dcl_getversionex
    (and
      (setq arxpath
     (vl-registry-read
       (strcat
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\"
(vlax-product-key)
"\\Applications\\OpenDCL"
       )
       "Loader"
     )
      )
      (setq loaderp t)
      (wcmatch (strcase arxpath) "*`.ARX")
      (arxload arxpath nil)
      dcl_getversionex
    )
    (and
      (setq arxname
     (strcat "OpenDCL"
     (if
       (and
(setq proc_arch
(getenv "PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE")
)
(< 1 (strlen proc_arch))
(eq "64"
     (substr
       proc_arch
       (1- (strlen proc_arch))
     )
)
       )
".x64."
"."
     )
     (substr (getvar "acadver") 1 2)
     ".arx"
     )
      )
      (setq arxpath (findfile arxname))
      (arxload arxpath nil)
      dcl_getversionex
    )
    (and
      loaderp
      (= 2 (boole 1 (getvar "DEMANDLOAD") 2))
      (vl-catch-all-apply 'vl-cmdf '("opendcl"))
      dcl_getversionex
    )
    (progn
      (princ
(strcat
  "Error: "
  (if arxpath
    (strcat arxpath " ")
    "OpenDCL runtime "
  )
  ".\n"
)