Author Topic: UCS Keeps Changing when picking Extrusion Grip  (Read 8990 times)

JCTER

UCS Keeps Changing when picking Extrusion Grip
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »
Whenever I have a view that is square up with my UCS, such as a normal TOP view or what not.. I cannot use my extension grip to modify an extruded shape.

Pic attached.

In the first pic, I have selected the extruded shape, with is extruded along a path that lies on the XY plane, at 135d.  You can see the UCS in the corner.

In the second pic, I have now clicked on the triangular 'extrusion grip' (not sure of the proper term if there is one) to try and extend it longer.  You now see that the UCS has automatically changed to be squared up with the face I'm extruding.  Not that DUCS is off!  This -only- happens when my view is square to the UCS.

Why does this happen, and more importantly, how can I keep this from happening?

This has been only a very MILD annoyance.  Before now, I've always just used ORBIT to change my view away from a squared-up view of the XY plane.  This would solve the problem as the UCS would not change then.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: UCS Keeps Changing when picking Extrusion Grip
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
check out your settings for DEFAULTGIZMO
and
GTAUTO
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
check out your settings for DEFAULTGIZMO
and
GTAUTO
Those were totally new to me but had no effect :(

GTAUTO was 1 - switched to 0
DEFAULTGIZMO was 0 - switched to 3

Behavior remains identical.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
try UCSDETECT also OFF in addition to DUCS
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »
try UCSDETECT also OFF in addition to DUCS
You're full of sysvars I hadn't ever checked, before, today.  However that one was already off :(

I tried every bit to do with the GIZMOS as well, but it appears to not be a Gizmo situation, just a UCS problem.  The Gizmos are more for a 3D Move/Scale/Rotate command setting.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »
and does this have any effect?

You can temporarily turn off the dynamic UCS by pressing F6 or SHIFT+Z while moving the pointer over a face.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »
and does this have any effect?

You can temporarily turn off the dynamic UCS by pressing F6 or SHIFT+Z while moving the pointer over a face.

unfortunately no.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 12:20:33 AM »
I have had the same problem and sometimes it is having polar or ortho on. From your pics you got polar try ortho or neither.

JCTER

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
I have had the same problem and sometimes it is having polar or ortho on. From your pics you got polar try ortho or neither.

Good thing I thought NOT to crop out my buttons down there!

That was exactly the issue.  Derp.  I shoulda thought about Polar/Ortho constraining me to the new XY.  So that helps stave off the problem there.  I'd much prefer that the UCS DOES NOT CHANGE AT ALL *punches monitor* unless I TELL IT TO.  (I'm not a fan of machines doing things I did not tell them to do.)  BAD MACHINE!  *whacks it with a rolled up copy of theonion.com* BAD!

However, this will solve my problem in a different way.  It should work for most of the time that I'm using this method to extend objects, as I was really just 'eye balling' the length based on other objects it interacted with.  Hence the -need- for a squared-up XY view.

Thanks for the tip!