Author Topic: "UNIONS" what am I doing wrong?  (Read 4397 times)

kpo101

"UNIONS" what am I doing wrong?
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:32:37 PM »
In the picture below is a Fleur-De-lis i have drawn from scratch. Each section was drawn separately 1) The center piece,  2&3) The right and left wings and  4) The cross bar that connects the 3 other pieces. Here is my problem : After aligning the center section and the cross bar I used union to make it a single piece. step 2: I positioned the left wing and then union it, but when i brought in the right wing and tried to union it to the whole drawing i get a note that says i can't union them. Any suggestions? Now i am going to add that the right side was done after i drew the left side and i Mirrored it, would that have caused the problem?

JCTER

Re: "UNIONS" what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »
Sometimes AutoCAD does stupid, illogical, unexplainable things.

Don't try to overcome it, just learn to work around it.

Since you have one "wing" unioned, my suggestion is to slice the center piece in half, vertically, delete all objects on the side lacking union, then mirror the 'good' half, and union those halves.  That should hopefully work.

AutoCAD does stupid unexplainable things like that, often.

kpo101

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:33:14 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, i will give it a try and get back to ya. I've done many unions and that never happened to me before so Thanks.

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:18 AM »
I just wish I had a better answer :(

I've just found that sometimes when doing boolean (union/subtract/intersect, etc) Autocad can pitch a fit or get confused, and you have to 'trick it' or work around it.  Sometimes you have to ask the question a different way to get the answer you want, so to speak.

kpo101

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:11:34 AM »
James, I had to laugh after i gave the union thing another few tries, After that I did the slice thing and she(AutoCad 2009) never new what hit her. Thanks again !!