Author Topic: Dynamic blocks - keeping an element centralised?  (Read 11421 times)

jools182

Dynamic blocks - keeping an element centralised?
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »
The dynamic block have already been defined.

The motor on the conveyor is represented by the large yellow box on the top edge of the plan of the conveyor. We want to show a more accurate size and representation of the motor which is now shown in magenta

The problem I have now is that I can't get the new motor to move in relation to the length of the conveyor. If you stretch the length of the conveyor the pink motor stays where it is relative to the left hand side of the conveyor. I would like it to stay centralised like the older yellow box representation of the motor.

Nibster

Re: Dynamic blocks - keeping an element centralised?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »
other than imagining what you may have attached  :wink: you need to modify your motor with a 'MOVE' action, but set the 'distance multiplier' (in the action's properties) from the default 1.0 to ".5"  That will make it move HALF the distance as your stretch, therefore staying centered!

jools182

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »
thanks

I'll attach the block when I get home

been trying to attach it all day but the internet connection at work isn't having it  :realmad:

jools182

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:14 AM »
I managed to work it out from your instructions nibster, thanks

I now have another problem though

The block has a tag on the left hand side which is the 'static' side of the block when it's being stretched

Trying to put a bubble around the text in the tag, but when I stretch the block, the bubble is moving and the text is staying put

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »
include the text in the selection set to be moved...or exclude the box whichever you want to stay put...or move.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Nibster

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »
.... AND (i know it is counter-intuitive) but make sure that the Attribute's "Locked" property is checked. 

Unchecked: it has a grip that allows you to move the attribute as in any other plain block.

Checked: it allows the attribute to be affected by parameters and actions, and that includes the visibility parameter.

jools182

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
I have previously chosen which objects are to be stretched and which will move in relation to the length. I've just gone back into block editor to add the cirle around the tag, I can't understand why it's moving.

I can see that the tag has a 'position locked' attribute in the properties table

however, when I add a circle around the text it doesn't give an option to lock it

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:00:02 AM by jools182 »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »
sounds as if that circle is within the move/stretch selection window
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jools182

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:48:03 AM »
something odd about it, even if I draw a circle miles away from the conveyor block, it still moves with the stretch  :-(

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:51:03 AM »
please send me a copy of that bad block (or post sample here)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Nibster

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
I have previously chosen which objects are to be stretched and which will move in relation to the length. I've just gone back into block editor to add the cirle around the tag, I can't understand why it's moving.

I can see that the tag has a 'position locked' attribute in the properties table

however, when I add a circle around the text it doesn't give an option to lock it

the lock option is unique to attributes.  almost all other geometry (including regular text) doesn't have that toggle.

Nibster

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
something odd about it, even if I draw a circle miles away from the conveyor block, it still moves with the stretch  :-(
if the object is included in a stretch action, but isn't inside the action boundary (crossing window) then it will affect the object just like a move.

it's kind of a shortcut if you want something to move the same distance and direction as a stretch action, but dont' want to clutter up the screen with another, separate, move action for a parameter.

jools182

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »
so there is no way of making the circle stay put?

Nibster

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »
so there is no way of making the circle stay put?
you need to find the action that's affecting it and then remove it (the circle) from the selection set.  (find action, select, r-click, pick shortcut menu option that will allow you to modify as desired)

jools182

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 02:57:42 AM »
Thanks for all your help so far

I've managed to upload the file at home

Here is the dwg file to better illustrate the problem
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:44:58 AM by jools182 »