Author Topic: Nauseatingly Revisited: Free DWG Viewer  (Read 2643 times)

M-dub

Nauseatingly Revisited: Free DWG Viewer
« on: January 12, 2005, 09:21:28 AM »
Sorry for asking this folks, but I've got to get one of our engineers OFF of AutoCAD and into a program where he can VIEW the DWG files, zoom and print easily...without having any power to modify them.
Of course, I've done a Google search, but so many results are returned, I don't know where to turn.

I guess I was wondering if anyone has one in place, uses it, likes it and would recommend it.

Anyone? :?

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 09:26:54 AM »
well, have you tried the Autodesk viewer? does it not allow you to print and view?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

TR

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 10:03:22 AM »
Voloview is no longer free, it's $99 now. We use Bentley View and I think it works quite well.

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 10:04:35 AM »
I have a glock you can borrow.

If you're looking for free, Bentley View works pretty well for viewing R2002 DWGs, but I don't know how it handles newer versions and haven't used it for printing.  It may be worth checking out.

TR

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 10:08:29 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
but I don't know how it handles newer versions and haven't used it for printing.

I can verify that it does work for AutoCAD 2004/2005 format drawings. Also the printing is much nicer than the older voloview that we used to use for 2000 format drawings.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 10:25:53 AM »
Aren't you the one who told me about wmf files ?I've been using that ever since your suggestion. Client's without Adobe love the wmf's.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 10:35:43 AM »
What does the Autodesk Express Viewer do? It is a free download.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

TR

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 11:11:50 AM »
Autodesk express viewer is for pre-2004 format drawings. The only free viewer from Autodesk now is the dwf viewer.

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 11:14:46 AM »
I'll have a look at the Bentley Viewer.  We actually still have VoloView, but we're using acad 2004 now...
We also have a different system in place, but this guy just doesn't seem to want to use it.  DrawingSearcher automatically creates up-to-date dwf files each time a drawing file is modified and the searching capabilities are outstanding, but I can't get this guy to use it for some stupid reason.
Anyway, I'll give it a go and we'll see.
Cheers!

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 11:37:21 AM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
Aren't you the one who told me about wmf files ?I've been using that ever since your suggestion. Client's without Adobe love the wmf's.
We use DWF's or PDFs to transfer a file "outside" for someone's use/review.  But internally, during the design phase, some folks just wish to view the files as they stand currently.  Rather than create a new DWF or PDF for every occurance, we loaded up Bentley View so they may peruse to their heart's content.

CADaver

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 11:46:52 AM »
Quote from: M-dub
DrawingSearcher automatically creates up-to-date dwf files each time a drawing file is modified and the searching capabilities are outstanding,
We used it a while, but we change things, so often, so fast that we were filling our servers with DWFs.  We tried to reduce the dwf creation but then the view wasn't up-to-date.  Bentley's View gave us the capability of viewing the current design, without the possibility of "noodling" up the file.

Quote from: M-dub
but I can't get this guy to use it for some stupid reason.
Anyway
I still have the Glock.

craigr

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 02:11:46 PM »
I have been slowly switching our salesmen from Voloview Express to Bently Viewer. They say it does work, though one of them had a problem with turning layers off. He said the layers would turn off on his screen, but they would print anyway.
   Other than that, he said he likes the viewer better than Voloview Express.

- just my 2 cents worth.

craigr

hyposmurf

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 02:23:12 PM »
Heres a link to the older free version,its hard to come by.As also mentioned above you can only view DWG and DWF files up to version 2000 with this viewer.

free viewer