Author Topic: 98 Megs slow to open  (Read 4107 times)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: 98 Megs slow to open
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
CAD Version is 2008LT and the file was last saved by the same.

What is Anotation scale?

If I ever heard of it, I don't know what it is.

craigr

Annotation scales are used to support annotatively scaled blocks.  They can be useful but it *will* bite you if not kept under control.  Do some searching on that and annotation scales, and you will see why can be such a problem.

Not sure if its in LT or not, but try the command SCALELISTEDIT.  If that bombs, then its your problem.  Detach *all* XREFs from every file then use the -SCALELISTEDIT (note the "dash" for command line version) and pick the reset option.  Then you can use the dialog version to remove any that you don't want (that would be all of them).  Also check the "Maintain visual fidelity for annotative objects" setting.  If its turned on and the file is downsaved, annotative blocks are duplicated into different layers for each scale they need.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »
If your primary drawing file is vanilla AutoCAD LT (i.e not entity handle dependent/sensitive) perform the wblock star trick a couple times on a copy and see if that remedies some of the bloat.

Hey MP,

I am a little familiar with Wblock command but,

what exactly is the wblock star trick?

Thank you

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
Sorry, didn't see 'til now.

Try this

-wblock
Enter name of output file: c:\docs\new_file.dwg
Enter name of existing block or [= (block=output file)/* (whole drawing)] <define new drawing>: *

Generally speaking, new_file.dwg will be the Jenny Craig version of the original. You may have to do it a couple times to get the drawing to be really svelte.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

pmvliet

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
That file size is not unheard of. I know of civil background files are are in excess of 100mb. I've worked with steel models that were 55mb. Since you are working with others, ask them if they are having problems and what kind of machines they are having. One thing to remember is that for each xref you bring in, Autocad needs memory requirements and such for EACH file brought in. Basically, think of Autocad running the same number of times you bring in an xref. When you have large files such as this, you are going to need goobs of Ram. Loading the file in seems to be your biggest problem right now. Once you achieve them to load in, you should be ok.

One trick that you can use, when you open your file do a cancel to cancel the regen of all the xrefs. I would remove any xref's that are not pertinent to what you need to show. Then you can also hit the layer dialogue box to freeze layers that are off. Freezing them will remove them from the database, thus from the regen. Don't just turn them off. I would also ask all the other vendors to purge their drawings and see if they can do anything to condense their file size. I cautiously urge you to be careful if you try to condense their files as there could be repercussions if some of their data does not show up properly on your drawing.

pieter

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »
Does LT support partial open?  That could be another method to try if it does.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/