Author Topic: Need a TXT File Based Layer Translator  (Read 1791 times)

wojocad

Need a TXT File Based Layer Translator
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:17:48 PM »
Prior to Acad2002, the Express Tool called LAYTRANS.ARX used simple TXT files to record sets of layer translations done within the Layer Translator routine.  This allowed you to manually add or revise standard layer names / colors etc… in various “Rosetta Stone” TXT files using Notepad.  You could then translate old layer names in a drawing if they appeared in the list of translations in the TXT you selected to the whatever standard you bothered to set up… REAL HANDY!  I used to have a UPDATE LAYERNAMES button in my Customization that launched the routine and called up the office standard.

After 2004, AutoDesk complicated the whole scenario by tying their revised version of LAYTRANS.ARX to their new-fangled DWS format (pretty useless in my opinion).  In Acad2002, I was able to rename my old version of LAYTRANS.ARX to TRANSLAY.ARX and appload it manually.  It would boot out the newer version and function the same way as the old.  In Acad2004, I think they changed ARX formatting somehow and one of my favorite tools went by the wayside (typical AutoDesk reverse progress).  I’ve tried asking (in lots of Cad Forums) who wrote the original LAYTRANS code to see if I could get AutoDesk to supply me with a newly recompiled version that works the old way… No luck.

Does anyone have or know of a Layer Translator routine that works something like the old LAYTRANS?  It seems like a fairly simple thing to accomplish, but I don’t know how to write such a routine.  I do consulting work for a lot of different firms and they all have their own methods and layer standards.  I need my old LAYTRANS.  Any help?

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Need a TXT File Based Layer Translator
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:37:07 PM »
Welcome to the Swamp

Do you happen to have
1) any old documentation

2) a translation file from the original application.

I had one I wrote about 6 cumputers ago but it may be quicker and better to build a new one rather than try to find it.

Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

--> Donate to theSwamp<--