Author Topic: Keeping count  (Read 4147 times)

RebarDWG

Keeping count
« on: January 07, 2005, 12:31:25 AM »
is there a way in autocad that we can keep track of how many instances a piece of text (or attribute) is on a drawings?

My problem is this.  I have to label things on my drawing. P1, P2, P3, P4, etc etc.   Later when i'm finished, i want autocad to tell me how many of each i have.

thanks.

Bob

Keeping count
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:12:52 AM »
Could you use the filter command on the properties dialog box?

Find text containing "P1" etc.

whdjr

Keeping count
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 08:23:13 AM »
Are they attributes, text, or part of a block?
How are the textstrings related to the object? or are they?

CADaver

Keeping count
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 08:31:43 AM »
BCOUNT in express tools.

ELOQUINTET

Keeping count
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 09:01:59 AM »
i downloaded a program a long time ago called living legend which created a graph based of the total of attributes and changed automatically if you erased an instance. do a search online

ELOQUINTET

Keeping count
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 09:10:01 AM »
a quick and easy way if it's text might be to do a find and replace and it will show you the total of occurances just be sure you undo before proceeding. there's lots of ways

PDJ

Keeping count
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 11:58:17 AM »
OK, maybe I'm missin somethin here but, if you're labeling things P1, P2, P3, P4  and you want to know how many there are, wouldn't the total be the last number you use??  In this case, P4??

ELOQUINTET

Keeping count
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 12:54:37 PM »
nope you're missing something  :wink:

RebarDWG

Keeping count
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 01:03:05 PM »
if i had 954 ea. P1, 432 ea. P2, and 12 ea. P3 scatter across 19 miles of roadway, i wanna know how many of each are on my drawing.

unfortunately,  my stinking bonus tools are broken,  i guess i'll just wait til my acad 2005 comes in.

ELOQUINTET

Keeping count
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 01:05:35 PM »
you never answered are these blocks with attributes or just textwe're talking about

RebarDWG

Keeping count
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2005, 03:16:55 PM »
oh, sorry,  its just text, but i dont mind creating a block if i can set it up where it will update a schedule or something.

i guess my next question is.. is it possible to do that?  

I looked up the "living legend".  That's an awesome program.  But they want  $189 for it.  For those interested, you can find it at the caddepot.com

"LivingLegend creates beautiful, associative BOM's, schedules and symbol legends in seconds using automatic balloons and blocks. You may use the legend as a spreadsheet to view, create and modify attributes inside your blocks or item balloons. Blocks are automatically modified with the values in the legend when edited. "

ELOQUINTET

Keeping count
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 03:21:45 PM »
yeah i never ordered it because of the price but i tried it out works well. i still think the easiest solution for you would be to type in find then f1 in the top box and whatever in the bottom. then select replace all and it will tell you how many occurances were found and replaced. write that number down then undo and move to the next. seems simple enough unless i'm missing something?

RebarDWG

Keeping count
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »
yup easy enough, but setting up a schedule that will update automatically will save me countles key strokes.

PDJ

Keeping count
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 04:00:27 PM »
Would you consider putting each different type on it's own layer?? Then you could use a selection set filter, click on the P1 and find out how many there are..

Actually, using the find command will tell you how many occurances there are of P1 on the drawing as well.  It'll even zoom to each one individually if you need it to.

ELOQUINTET

Keeping count
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 04:23:17 PM »
so it's not finding out the amount that is your biggest concern it is the automated schedule. i suspect that anything involving automation is not easy to write and thus will not be offered for free. i've been proved wrong in the past though if anyone can or has done it they are here.