Author Topic: Sprocket turned into brick.  (Read 4890 times)

Ralphie

Sprocket turned into brick.
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
I drew a solid model of a large chain sprocket.  Regular stuff.  When I came back into the drawing after I had saved it, it looked fine until all the stuff, (menus, etc), loaded, then turned into a solid rectangle.  No details, nothing left from the original, nothing.  Just a brick.

I redrew the sprocket, then saved it again.  Yesterday, I went back into the new drawing, and it bricked itself again.

Any thoughts?

-Ralphie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Sprocket turned into brick.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
you don't happen to be in a 3d view mode with a whole heap of adaptive degradation turned on do you?

can you post a sample of your blocky sproket?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Ralphie

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
you don't happen to be in a 3d view mode with a whole heap of adaptive degradation turned on do you?

I'm not sure what you mean by adaptive degradation, but if you mean simplifying the object, then no, all the detail is supposed to show up.  Also, in the same drawing, there is another model of a section of the sprocket, and it's fine.

As for posting, it is proprietary material, so I don't think my boss would look kindly on me sharing it with the world.

-Ralphie

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
If this is OOTB AutoCAD, see if your solid history system variable is turned on.  If so, try turning it off.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by adaptive degradation, but if you mean simplifying the object, then no, all the detail is supposed to show up.  Also, in the same drawing, there is another model of a section of the sprocket, and it's fine.

As for posting, it is proprietary material, so I don't think my boss would look kindly on me sharing it with the world.

-Ralphie
Then send to directly to me, I treat all such data with an implied NDA.

I was talking about yuor video card 3d display settings.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Ralphie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
Well, if anybody's still interested, I may have found the problem. 

This model was made from a flat pattern imported from Pro-E.  The conversion process seems to go spline-happy, and I found splines on each tooth profile.  I changed them to arcs, and recreated the part.  So far, so good.  If it bricks again, I'll report back.

-Ralphie