Author Topic: Need input on SSM use?  (Read 1307 times)

VTMTBKR

Need input on SSM use?
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »
I've been working solely in Revit the past 2 years and now am back on CAD for awhile at a new company. (I'm an architect working on large commercial projects with 12 years experiance) This is the first time I've used the sheet set manager as the last time I was using cad it was LT. I'm struggling to see the purpose of using "Views" in certain instances. Please try and help me see any advantages.

Here's the example of how the firm is "used to" doing it...in the project I'm working on for example........
Two "Constructs" make up the floor, existing work and new work. Only building elements exist in these views (ie no annotation)
These are then brought together into lots of "Views" (47 to be exact) where the plans are xcliped into parts of the building that fit on the sheet at 1/8" and the annotation is then added in the "view".These "views" are then put on sheets.

My question is for a plan that only shows up on one sheet why is there the need to make a "View" Why wouldn't I just reference the plans into the model space of the sheet, xclip it there and add annotation in the model space as I've always done it in the past. The "View" step seems to just add to the process and creates another file without gaining any advantages in my opinion, plus I have to make an imaginary box of the printable area when I'm xcliping to make sure the area will fit within the sheet border.

Can anyone enlighten me to how the SSM and the "Views" tab is used in other firms since I don't have much experiance with it?

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Re: Need input on SSM use?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »
Welcome to the Swamp.  :-)

I don't use the SSM but someone that does will be along soon.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »
We never got into using views.  We did like you were suggesting... xref, clip the view, etc...

I believe the purpose of the views is so that AutoCAD knows which sheet the view is on and what number it is so things stay coordinated between plans, call-outs and the views and which sheet it resides on.  Kinda like how Revit does it... when you cut a section and then place that section on a sheet, Revit automatically fills in the section & sheet number of the section cut on the plan view.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

VTMTBKR

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »
I should add that the company draws the plan in 3d but uses none of the other smart functions in autocad Autocad now. Every other piece of information is dumb; rooms, doors tags, elevations, schedules, callouts, etc.  Unfortunately I haven't used any of these functions either so I'm no help with changing their awful and antiquated way of doing things.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »
VIEWS within the context of SSM are a very powerful way to assemble your sheets.
As you can point to the folder with the drawings with saved views in them.
Then you place them onto sheets, at that time the application give you a chance to set scale of the view.
Also very powerful for placing details on sheets.
One can also link the callout bubble to the detail/sheet it appears on such that when or if the call out of the sheet the view is on changes those fileds are updated by SSM so that they are always matched to each other.

From Help:

Add a view to a sheet. From the Model Views tab, you can easily add a view to a sheet by placing a named model space view or the entire drawing onto the current sheet.
NoteAfter creating a named model space view, you must save the drawing to add the view to the Model Views tab. Click Refresh on the Model Views tab to update the Sheet Set Manager tree view.
Add label blocks to views. With the Sheet Set Manager, you can label views and details automatically as you place them. Labels contain data associated with the referenced view.

Add callout blocks to views. Callout blocks is the term for the symbols that reference other sheets. Callout blocks have many industry-specific names such as reference tags, detail keys, detail makers, building section keys, and so on. Callout blocks contain data associated with the sheet and view that are referenced.
NoteWhen you place a callout block with fields or a view on a sheet, make sure that the current layer is unlocked.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/