Author Topic: Trying to make a Label with Reference Text  (Read 2370 times)

civilcorruption

Trying to make a Label with Reference Text
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:53:07 PM »
Hi folks,
I am attempting to make a label which i will manually add to an alignment curve (will not be part of a label set).  My objective is to label the distance to the next PVI in conjunction with the profile slope.

I have included an Alignment reference text component to the label, for DIST to NEXT PVI.  And another Profile reference text component for INSTANTANEOUS Grade.

When i make a label, I am prompted  to select an alignment, then a profile.  The Instantaneous grade works fine but the DIST to NEXT PVI  is blank.  I have also tried to get this value to show up in a Surface label without success.

Why would I not be getting this value show up?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Trying to make a Label with Reference Text
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
sounds like you will need to create an EXPRESSION wherein the Label location Station Value is Subtracted <[Geometry Point Entity After Data(CP)]>

could you post a simple graphic of what you are after to assist myself in visualizing the desired resultant?

also is this label for plan view with the alignment, or is it to appear in the profile view?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:15:01 PM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

civilcorruption

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
See the attached image - hopefully that helps.

I want a centreline label that displays grade and distance in plan view, and that will align itself on a curve...like the general curve labels do.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »
The image helps....however my experiments here indicate that the information you seek is only available in a profile label style, and is NOT available at all as reference text.

Let me continue with my tests....

I really can't imagine why you want this to show in plan view unless there is no profile view being shown?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:32:31 PM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
are you labeling the pavement profile grade, or the Pipe slope information there?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

civilcorruption

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
I am labelling the C/L of the road, profile grade...not pipe.

We always show all c/l PVI / grade / distance to PVI information on the overall site plans.  We also do additional sheets for plan / profile which duplicates that information....but thats just how its done around these parts.

thanks for your help!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 02:51:07 PM »
I'm starting to think a PIPE label might work for this, or that you will need to place a profile label and drag it over to your plan view with no leader....still experimenting though.

Or place a piece of pipe with a NO DISPLAY style under that alignment...and label that....might not be pretty however I know it would work.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:56:58 PM »
I am labelling the C/L of the road, profile grade...not pipe.

We always show all c/l PVI / grade / distance to PVI information on the overall site plans.  We also do additional sheets for plan / profile which duplicates that information....but thats just how its done around these parts.

thanks for your help!

sounds like the problem is the solution....

I've shown C/L grades in plan; however never distance to next PI, as this is typically shown with a Station or Station Equation call out....

more to ponder

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

civilcorruption

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
I did create a label as part of the alignment label set which achieved the desired result, however it only looked good for tangents.  For curves, I could not get the text to align with the curve...thats why i was thinking a general curve label would work as they rotate with the curve when moved.

wow...pipe network labels..that's OTB thinking!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »
I think the challenge is that the horizontal alignment segments rarely line up with the Vertical alignment segments....

In order to produce this result one might need add phantom PI's to the horizontal alignment such that they line up with the Vertical design and then they would yield useful information to apply to the label.  As all to often the Vertical slope might change anywhere along the Horizontal curve...... right?

To use this to your advantage...

Polyline drawn along C/L
then converted to Feature Line and Assigned elevations from Corridor Surface model
Then converted into Pipe Network, using the USE OBJECT VERTEX option to break the pipe network rules and allow the pipe to follow the pavement grade(s).
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

civilcorruption

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »
Thanks for the information!

Yes i agree that the issue is that the PVI does not match the PI.  I was hoping for a simple solution to this issue as this is a label we will use for every job....for both centreline grades and flange (lip of gutter in alberta) grades.

Going back to my OP, I am still unsure why reference text does not work for this application.

I appreciate you help today...thanks again.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the information!

Yes i agree that the issue is that the PVI does not match the PI.  I was hoping for a simple solution to this issue as this is a label we will use for every job....for both centreline grades and flange (lip of gutter in Alberta) grades.

Going back to my OP, I am still unsure why reference text does not work for this application.

I appreciate you help today...thanks again.
It doesn't work as the profile reference text, text options do NOT offer up the same profile information as in the posted graphic to allow one to perform the calculation required for same. Nor are we offered any of that information to use in creating a(n) expression that would do the math required.

(perhaps if you post or send me a drawing with your label style in it; it might break my target lock, and speed me in another direction?)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell