Author Topic: Dynamic block wont array like I"d like it too  (Read 5398 times)

smudge

Dynamic block wont array like I"d like it too
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:27:25 AM »
Hi all

I've got a problem with this dynamic block. It is a grille where I can set the length and width of the grille and it will automatically array the little grid bits in the middle.

It is a centre justified block (so that the locations of the grilles don't change if their size has to be changed).

Everything seems to work fine when the length (x direction) is changed, but when the width (y direction) is changed I cannot seem to get the thing to work (refer Swamp 01.pdf).

As far as I can see the bottom array marker (IWA1) should stretch with the bottom frame (IW1), the closest I've got is to get it to array but in a really weird fashion (I want the distance from centre to edge to be 30,60,60,60, etc and I wound up with 60,60,60,60, etc).

Has anyone got any idea what I've done wrong (refer Swamp 02.pdf)?

And is there a better way of doing this because this seems a bit clunky to me (I had to do the inner edges IW1, IW2, IL1 & IL2 because I didn't want the arrays to over inner (black) edges of the frame and even though those linear parameters are hidden you can still pick them as grips)?

The block is the in the attached dwg Swamp 03.dwg.

Thanks in anticipation to your help :)

Nibster

Re: Dynamic block wont array like I"d like it too
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
What is the minimum size for this grill(e)?  That's usually where I start my blocks.  If you go down to the absolute minimum size possible, what you have going on happens.

smudge

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply mate.

The smallest size grille that I need is probably 200 x 200 and the largest is probably going to be 1200 x 1200 with all variations in-between. Seeing as this comes in at 180 x 180 I reckon that I'm okay with the size.

This still doesn't help me with the inner grille bits, I'm right with the left and right vertical elements and the top horizontals it's just the bottom horizontals that don't seem to work as I want them to for some (to me) weird reason.

*incidentally am I posting the attachments in the normally accepted correct way? 2 PDF files showing my problem and 1 dwg file with my recalcitrant DB in it so that anyone can see what I've stuffed up.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
I got it working.

Basiclly you need change the lW1 start point.
All the rest start in the middle.
lW1 starts on the bottom line(Basiclly mirror lW1)

Notice the little x in pictures
The first one is the old one
The second is the one that works correctly

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
*incidentally am I posting the attachments in the normally accepted correct way?
You attachment technique in you post is marvelous.

2 PDF files showing my problem and 1 dwg file with my recalcitrant DB in it so that anyone can see what I've stuffed up.

Your English could come into question.      ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

smudge

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 02:18:56 AM »
Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated. I stared at this for hours and couldn't get it to work!

Higgs -  :-P