Author Topic: Signs of an Untrained CAD Person  (Read 10503 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
Re: Signs of an Untrained CAD Person
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »
Thinking OSnaps are useless.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

Lin-Z

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
I don't know if this falls under "untrained" or just "stubborn" but the 2 guys I work with who used AutoCAD since it was first released still trail on over to Pan and Zoom while in a command instead of using the scroll mouse. It drives me insane every time I see them do it  :lol:

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »
I don't know if this falls under "untrained" or just "stubborn" but the 2 guys I work with who used AutoCAD since it was first released still trail on over to Pan and Zoom while in a command instead of using the scroll mouse. It drives me insane every time I see them do it  :lol:
Well....at least they're not escaping the command to type "P". Hell, I changed P (in my PGP) from pan to pline in version '02 or whenever you could pan with the middle button.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »
Well....at least they're not escaping the command to type "P". Hell, I changed P (in my PGP) from pan to pline in version '02 or whenever you could pan with the middle button.
particularly in Civil 3D...with the Right+Click ZOOM TO function for just about everything one would ever need to be able or want to look at
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 05:38:36 PM »
[All of the above...everything mentioned so far]
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 04:47:22 PM »
they are not yet members of TheSwamp.org
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

hermanm

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
Everything drawn in model space, including border & title block (multiple sheets).
Created multiple paperspace layouts, one for each sheet.
Nothing in paperspace except the viewports, all at oddball scale factors

But the real kicker:

NOTHING in model space is drawn 1 to 1. All is scaled up by some factor.
Various scale factors for assorted details.
Multiple dimension styles all have a length scale factor to compensate for scaled up details.
All dimensions have the same visual appearance, but measure at different length scales.
DIMSCALE = 1 for all dimension styles.

My head hurts just thinking about it. :lol:

Dinosaur

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2010, 09:50:11 AM »
Everything drawn in model space, including border & title block (multiple sheets).
Nothing in paperspace except the viewports, all at oddball scale factors

But the real kicker:

NOTHING in model space is drawn 1 to 1. All is scaled up by some factor.
Various scale factors for assorted details.
Multiple dimension styles all have a length scale factor to compensate for scaled up details.
All dimensions have the same visual appearance, but measure at different length scales.
DIMSCALE = 1 for all dimension styles.

So you know "LNB" & "KNB" too ... but I thought they discontinued ANY use of viewports after I left.

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 03:39:02 AM »

I thought that was kinda the point of paperspace?

Or has my sense of humour not booted up properly this morning?

dJE
===
dJE

craigr

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 08:31:19 AM »
BUT, what you guys are not mentioning is that it MAY just work fine for their company.

I'm afraid that MANY of our drawing practices would not meet up with the typical CAD society. But, they work great for us.

What we do usually isn't really 'drafting'. Very seldom do we draw anything to scale. When I do have to, it's usually adding a door or wall to a floor plan from an outside firm. A lot of our work could really be done in a graphics package such as Corel, it would just take MUCH more time.

Most of our CAD users are Engineers that don't know much CAD and stumble thru to try meet our standards, and some still argue when they don't.

Up to a few years ago, EVERYTHING was still drawn in MSpace, with 'no reason to change it'. If I threw fields at them, they would REALLY bark.

But, all of this works fine for us.

craigr

Dashmonkey

• Newt
  • (defun sleep nil nil)
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 04:44:19 PM »
leaders that are exploded because the user is still drawing them using the old dim: leader command (or even worse, manually drew in the arrow head and the individual line segments)

It's funny because this is the way our company still does it. *Sigh*
I didn't break it, I swear! ...ok, I broke it.

sinc

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
It's more a sign of an "Untrained Civil Engineer" than an "Untrained CAD Person", but...

Getting a Civil Site Plan done in feet and inches.  Just got another one of these things today...  :-P