Author Topic: visibility state ?  (Read 20945 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: visibility state ?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »
the toggle is there for me...off to the RIGHT of the block...

I insert(ed) the block in a new drawing; then selected NO VISIBILITY grip was shown...

zoom out quite a bit..

Select the block...there is the Visibility toggle...right over there...

no problemo...

open in block edit...move the Visibility toggle grip over to the left...and close the editor.

nothing to do with the BASE command
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »
No head-banging over here...they look at me funny in this office when I listen to metal, so no keyboard head-banging either...

Quick tips I've learned:

1) Make sure BASE is 0,0,0 in all your drawings UNLESS you use this to your advantage (I have never found a need to have BASE anything but 0,0,0).  All I've found is that this messed me up in quite a few blocks.

2) I make sure my block has a corner, center or other significant position located at 0,0.  That will be my insertion point.  I've only used the basepoint parameter in 2 blocks so far...and there are a lot more than 2 blocks in my library.

Just my 2 cents...

CottageCGirl

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
thanks for the assist everyone

James..thanks, I am pretty good at ferretting out thoses issues, since I am always fixing those sort of block problems w/ other people here, but I have not been at it for a while, so anything I did know, seems to have left me regarding dynamic properties.....

CottageCGirl

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 11:40:40 AM »
No head-banging over here...they look at me funny in this office when I listen to metal, so no keyboard head-banging either...

Quick tips I've learned:

1) Make sure BASE is 0,0,0 in all your drawings UNLESS you use this to your advantage (I have never found a need to have BASE anything but 0,0,0).  All I've found is that this messed me up in quite a few blocks.

2) I make sure my block has a corner, center or other significant position located at 0,0.  That will be my insertion point.  I've only used the basepoint parameter in 2 blocks so far...and there are a lot more than 2 blocks in my library.

Just my 2 cents...

and that, I think, is definately worth the 2 cents... we always use 0,0 it just makes xrefs a whole heck of a lot easier..so I will have to bring that wisdom along into my block world too..

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »
nothing to do with the BASE command
Well, in the original block definition, the visibility grip, when editing the dynamic block, was located at the lower right corner of the box.  When you insert the original block into another drawing, the visibility grip moves approx. 30 to the right...which is what the BASE VARIABLE is doing...moving that grip over 30.  Change the BASE VARIABLE in the original dynamic block to 0,0 and everything works the way it should...just to clarify

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
To further clarify...it seems the GRIPS are being affected by the BASE being 30,0,0 and not the entities.  I believe this would be due to there being a BASEPOINT parameter which will lock the entities to 0,0, but the BASE being 30,0 would shift the GRIPS to the right 30 units...I believe...

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
I think the 'solution' is the problem.

There are a couple of ways to 'fix' this particular block.

And we have discussed procedures to prevent ever needing to 'fix' broken blocks.

Define your Blocks with logical Insertion Points as CG says she is in the habit of doing.
Do NOT Change the BASE of any drawing or block.

And then ones blocks and their dynamic grips and attributes will behave as expected happily ever after.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »

:lmao:
k, have fun with this one then...

The 'solution' fixed the problem...the problem was the BASE NOT BEING 0,0, as in, it was changed SOMETIME.  BASE starts out as 0,0 on every new drawing...if you just willy nilly move the grip until you get the desired result, you'll have fun adjusting a ton of blocks. THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION.

Geez...just trying to help...and THAT is the only reason why the block is behaving that way...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:24:54 PM by Dommy2Hotty »

JCTER

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
I wont be adjusting any grips...as I define ALL of my blocks correctly to start with. And I don't change Base points ever!

The moral of this story;

don't move  or use the BASE command; unless you really goofed up to start with and FAILED to define your blocks with valid insertion points to start with
and define your blocks with good insertion points

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »
I wont be adjusting any grips...as I define ALL of my blocks correctly to start with. And I don't change Base points ever!

The moral of this story;

don't move  or use the BASE command; unless you really goofed up to start with and FAILED to define your blocks with valid insertion points to start with

Look, we were asked why this block was not working correctly...there is a basepoint parameter that overrides the BASE variable of 30,0 in THIS BLOCK.  THE BASE VARIABLE IN THIS BLOCK IS WHAT'S MAKING THE VISIBILITY GRIP MOVE 30 TO THE RIGHT.  WE WERE ASKED TO FIX THIS BLOCK...THAT'S WHAT I DID.

You can go on and on about practices and such, but that's not what we were asked...we were asked to fix THIS BLOCK.  Preach on in the sticky post in the dynamic blocks forum. 

JCTER

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »

The moral of this story;

For those of us who work in the real world, and not academically, we are often faced with situations where we have to fix broken things.  You're right though, in a perfect world, everything is done perfectly, and no one ever has stinky farts.

The rest of us work in the real world though.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »
For those of us who work in the real world, and not academically, we are often faced with situations where we have to fix broken things.  You're right though, in a perfect world, everything is done perfectly, and no one ever has stinky farts.

The rest of us work in the real world though.

Thank you!  That's what I'm trying to get across...just trying to fix why THIS ONE is broken.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
however should one NOT correct practices; then one is left correcting the 'problems' those practices create

I do work in the real world..and part of what I teach is how to not have problems directly related to ones procedures from real world experience.

Though there is nothing I can do about stinky farts, other than hope you excuse yourself and don't get any on your boxer shorts.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 12:50:57 PM »

I am editing existing non-dynamic blocks so I am not starting from scratch.....   I have sooo much to learn uggg....been watching some tutorials...

This sounds like your best course of action is to KEEP the existing geomtry where possible and create the blocks over so you are not fighting with unknown insertion points, or other variables that you will not be aware of until some other block(s) fail to behave as this one has.  In the end you would save more time and have more control over the blocks.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell