Author Topic: Xref Path Issues  (Read 1543 times)

caddcop

Xref Path Issues
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
We are setting up a new server for our survey department. That means that the use of relative paths may no longer work for us as the survey files will be on a different drive letter than the engineering files.
I'm thinking I may need to start using PROJECTNAME, but I am having trouble deciding how best to do this.
  • Do I setup multiple profiles with one Project Name for a project?
  • Do I use one profile with as many Project Names as needed?
  • Can I offer the users a list of defined project names for setting a files PROJECTNAME variable?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestion, code snippets, etc.

sinc

Re: Xref Path Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
The PROJECTNAME stuff always struck me as one of those ideas Autodesk had at one point, and they implemented some basic functionality that was useful, then they just forgot about it, and made no further improvements.  This feature can still be handy from time to time, but it's enough of a pain that we don't use it often.

Autocad is designed to be used with one Profile.  Having multiple Profiles is the way Autodesk set things up so we can run either "Civil 3D" or "Civil 3D as AutoCAD" and stuff like that, but your users really should not need to change user Profiles in the course of their normal work.  And they definitely should not need to change Profiles simply to switch to a different Project.

I think the typical way of using this variable is to have one Project Name for each Project.  I suppose you might vary that somewhat, if your particular circumstances dictate.

As far as offering your users a list, not really sure what you're getting at there.  If it's what I suspect, then this gets back to what I was saying before, about how Autodesk implemented some basic functionality, then forgot about it.  The Project Name list is stored in the registry for each individual computer, and there's no good way of dealing with it on a company-wide basis.  Since this list is basically just a bunch of registry entries, you can create REG files that will create the list.  Then you can simply tell all your individual users to run the REG file to update the list.  It's really nasty from a "comfort" perspective, since it involves dealing with the registry and REG files, which also means it's version-dependent, and your REG file has to target the right version of C3D.  But it's the easiest way I've been able to find for managing this list on multiple computers.

caddcop

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
Your insight on PROJECTNAME confirms my thoughts. If a user needs to assign the variable to a PROJECTNAME that exists in a list for it to actually function, shouldn't there be a front-end that allows you to select from that list. If a user types the name wrong, the process breaks down.
There are times when certain features in AutoCAD seem to assume that you are a lone user working on one or two projects and not part of a group or team working on dozens of projects.
As an amateur lisp programmer, I can only hope that someone reads this and offers some helpful code snippet.
What about using profiles for different clients? Some clients are anal about their fonts or their linestyles which would seem to make it essential to have different support file paths for different clients.   

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »
We went through a server change here two maybe three years ago.  I used Autocad's Reference Manager (found in the Start Menu > Programs > Autocad [whatever] folder).   In one staying late 5 hour night, I went through all current projects, the immediate past project going two years back and fixed all the references.  We determined that anything older will be handled on a case by case bases.  What is nice is that you can fix a group or a projects worth file that reference the same xref at once.  And you if understand or study the pathing structure of relative vs full path references you set them to relative by entering the dot-slash combination needed.  IMO; it is one of those task that is actually easier that it looks.  Two tips, Have no distractions hence staying late part and two monitors really help.

My two cents.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans