Author Topic: How to check for program update? (Lisp version number)  (Read 2977 times)

kenkrupa

• Newt
How to check for program update? (Lisp version number)
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
I see many programs that have a Check for Update thing in their Help menu. I'm wondering if anyone has a slick way of implementing the same thing, without some kind of advanced technology. I thought of putting the latest version number in a file on my website, to compare with the local version number, but I'm not having any luck reading a file on the web with LISP. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:00:05 AM by CAB »

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
Re: How to check for program update?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
I don't know much web manipulation, but perhaps download the file?

kenkrupa

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »
I don't know much web manipulation, but perhaps download the file?

Yeah, I suppose that might work, but I don't think I want the user to experience a file being downloaded. Might be problematical as well as messy. Thanks anyhow.

Lee Mac

• Seagull
  • London, England
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:11:27 AM »
I'm drawing a blank - perhaps someone else can offer a better solution  ;-)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
Well if you want to get version information some data will need to be exchanged. (stating the obvious)
The user could enter the version number at the web site or or simply look at the current version number
and click an Upgrade Button to download the newer version.
Or the LISP could transmit the version number which may be an uploaded file or packet of data. Not sure how to do that.
The LISP could get the version number by downloading a file with the latest version number. Not sure how to do that either.

I suspect that many web sites read a config file from your computer which has the current version in it.
Then it informs the user that there is a newer version available. The user has a choice to download the new version.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: How to check for program update? (Lisp version number)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »
Most programs that I've seen store the overall version number in the registry under HKLM.  When there are multiple components such as DLLs, I think the upgrade program checks the file metadata.

Edit: just hit me - perhaps the fastest way would be to create a text file with the appropriate information (easy to do with LSP), then either provide an email address or call the email program automatically.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io