Author Topic: "AutoCAD WS brings DWG editing to iOS and web"  (Read 7809 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
"AutoCAD WS brings DWG editing to iOS and web"
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/09/autocad-ws-brings-dwg-editing-to-ios-and-web.html
Do either of the following scenarios sound familiar?

You’re out in the field, trying to add some notes to your drawing to document an as-built condition, and you think, “It’d be really nice if the team at the office could see this now.”

You’re on the phone with a colleague or client, trying to explain something about one of your drawings, and they’re just not understanding. You’re thinking,“Gosh, it’d be great if I could just show them what I mean.”

You’ve been there? Me too. And today is your lucky day!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Bob Garner

Re: "AutoCAD WS brings DWG editing to iOS and web"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:14:02 AM »
I like that several users can play tug-of-war with each other.  I see a new game app in this.  While you try to pan, I'm zooming in.  I draw a door, you erase a window.  This could be fun.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:45:58 AM »
Is this what Project butterfly turned into?
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

pmvliet

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »
To me, just the ability to view your documents with an Ipad in the field is very valuable. No need to go to the job trailer to view a print...
I might have to look into this more.

Even more Kudo's would be to have a Navisworks viewer on an Ipad....

Thanks for sharing!

Pieter

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »
No BBerry version... phhht.

Isn't an iPad just a laptop with no keyboard anyway...

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
No BBerry version... phhht.

Isn't an iPad just a laptop with no keyboard anyway...

Yeah what is up with that?  What does Autodesk have against Crackberries and Roids?
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

deegeecees

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
It's not who you know, it's who you bl... has the backing funds.

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:19:16 PM »
So has anyone played with Autocad WS yet?

I'm lookin' to play around with it in a little while on my iPad (yes, I succumbed) and to explore the potential for possible uses in-office.  Not sure if there will be any, but worth playing with to see.

JCTER

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
Limits:

No 3D content allowed in the file
No files over 15mb can be opened

That first part pretty much shoots down anything I'd use it for.

craigr

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:37:07 AM »
After reading this thread for the first time yesterday, I uploaded one of our VERY basic dwgs, very small in size. While in WS, the preview pick looks like my dwg, but upon opening it, all I see is black. There is nothing visible on the screen. So I tried sharing it back to myself, (a different email), and I opened it from my workstation and have the same thing, nothing but black.

I will have to read the help file to see where I went wrong. But, at the costs of the iPad and it's limited use, I doubt my Company would spring for them for our field guys.

craigr

JCTER

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
The main benefit I see is taking 2D plans, and being able to mark them up in the field, or on the go.

I can see this being beneficial if you have guys that go to the field to inspect, or supervise, and there are problems in the field to relay back to design teams.  If your field guy is CAD savvy, he can also edit the drawing pretty easily on the iPad/iPhone (though obv the phone is a smaller screen) and when the drawing is shared, the recipient can 'step' through every change, with a detailed summary of the changes made.  "object moved +2.00 X, -12.25 Y" for example.

You can open up pretty large drawings and navigate very quickly and easily.  There's not much lag at all.  It appears to me that it takes a quick snapshot of the drawing at the current zoom level, and displays a raster image of that area.  When you zoom in it zooms in on the raster image, so as you zoom, you see the enlarged pixels and artifacts inherent with a blown-up JPG, for example.  Then after a noticeable fraction of a second it regenerates a new raster image at the current zoom level.  It's a small fraction, I just meant to say that you see it happen, though quickly.

I haven't messed with any of the tools other than selection tools.  It's kinda neat how it has the same crossing window style of selection method, though now using fingers or stylus instead of the mouse cursor. 

It's quite basic, has limited applicability, and -certainly- nothing to worry about getting if you don't already have a machine for other reasons.  A pen and paper will still work, but I can foresee this application improving efficiency quite easily.  I haven't checked to see how easy it is to flip back and forth between drawings, though.

It's probably 6 of one / half dozen of the other, as the pro/con list goes, when compared to pen/paper... and pen/paper has no cost that incurred already.

It's a neat toy though for a -current- iPhone/iPad owner, but nothing to go buying machines for, obviously.  I doubt I'll even be opening the app up unless they get support of 3D content.

deegeecees

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
I get alot of napkin sketches to work from...

Laptop/Tethered Cell Phone/VPN. Access the (3D) CAD file for the job right from the Server back at the office for revisions while on the job site. No muss, no fuss.

Most of the *cough* new toys they're putting out now are just variations on whats already available, only packaged to appeal to a certain demigraphic. Polished turds, if you will.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 10:58:49 AM »
I wouldn't let the engineers in the office directly manipulate the models, no *way* thats going to happen from the field.  Markups to electronic drawings a la Design Review?  Much better idea.

And I'm not sure how well this would work with those of us for which "in the field" is several hours drive from the nearest inhabited area.  I'm sure it would work nicely for a building site in a major city where theres lots of coverage though.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

JCTER

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
I've been out in the boonies and still had 3G connection. /shrug.  There's also WiFi possibly, depending on project.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 11:52:02 AM »
I've been out in the boonies and still had 3G connection. /shrug.  There's also WiFi possibly, depending on project.

3G coverage is now NOT a problem. on Earth that is
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

JCTER

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »

hahaha that's awesome.  I could see that being a very welcome feature for many people who take that potentially-lethal trek...

JCTER

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »

hahaha that's awesome.  I could see that being a very welcome feature for many people who take that potentially-lethal trek...

Mentioned that to a buddy, who has a friend currently on Everest.  Texted him and got a reply:
"yeah they haven't mastered toilets but they have good cell service. f&#&ers"