Author Topic: 64 bit or 32 bit - Autocad mainly  (Read 8415 times)

JCTER

Re: 64 bit or 32 bit - Autocad mainly
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
I'd go SSD over the 10k drive  :-P

I still tried to balance my desires against my company budget  :-D

That 10k drive is probably close to the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250001

Nah, he said the SSD upgrades were a bunch more.  The 10k drive isn't that much more.  /shrug

sinc

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 05:51:54 PM »
Gotcha on the RAM matching.  What's the purpose of that?

Each channel of RAM can be accessed simultaneously, increasing throughput.  It's much the same idea as putting multiple disk drives in a RAID0.

I may have conflicted myself in spec'ing out 64-bit and also a 10k rpm drive though, as the higher speed is a bandaid for a problem on 32-bit systems.  Oh well.

No, no conflict.  I highly recommend getting the fastest possible hard drive you can reasonably afford for your primary drive.  For a huge number (probably the majority) of common tasks, the speed of access to your primary drive has an impact.  So a fast primary drive can be one of the most significant factors in your perceived system performance.

SSD's are great, with the best performance, but a bit pricey still.  Velociraptors are pretty popular right now.  But the new SATA 6Gb/s stuff is coming on strong, as well.

As for the SSD + SATA 6GB/s combo:  You don't really need a fast data drive if you are using a server, only if you are storing data locally on your computer.  For most companies, all the data pretty much stays on a server, so a data drive on a workstation is rather unnecessary.  It depends on your needs.  But the SSD/SATA combo can work well if you need a local data drive.

And as a technical point, the SATA consortium is trying to keep people from using the term "SATA III".  The main problem is that it is too easy to confuse "SATA III" with "SATA 3Gb/s", aka "SATA II".  So they're trying to get everyone to use the term "SATA 6Gb/s" instead of "SATA III".

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
I'd go SSD over the 10k drive  :-P

I still tried to balance my desires against my company budget  :-D

That 10k drive is probably close to the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250001

Nah, he said the SSD upgrades were a bunch more.  The 10k drive isn't that much more.  /shrug

He must be going with what Dell offers then. I just order the computer, install the SSD and reload the OS. Dell still tends to put a bunch o crapware so a fresh install is nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136296  looks like the same price  :-P

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

JCTER

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 07:45:44 PM »
@sinc:  Your explanation of a dual-drive setup with SATA and SSD were pretty much exactly what our IT guy offered to us.  He asked me if I'd like an SSD so that we could 'check out' or copy drawings from the server to our local drive and possibly improve things that way.  I told him that's not a good idea for us, as we -really- need to know when someone else -is- working on it.  If we think about it later, maybe we'll get some document management software and go with a 'check out' system, but right now there's nothing wrong, so I'm not going to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

@ronjonp:  You might be right, there might not be a low-priced 10k drive out there, which can beat a low-priced SSD... however, it's kinda moot at this point.  I'd be surprised if the $/GB is on the level, now, but that's cool if it is.  I might look into that when I get around to upgrading my home theater computer and home PC backup stuff.

JCTER

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »
Well this machine has been a hot rod compared to anything I've ever run before.

I've been monitoring RAM usage during my more taxing typical operations, and out of the 4gb RAM, I'm seeing usage ranging from 3.5-3.9gb with 3.25-3.75 by Autocad.exe alone!  Once a 64-bit OS allows it to use more RAM it really does hog that stuff up.

Mentioned my findings to the boss, and even though I feel silly asking him for more RAM right after he just gave me a computer with twice my old computer's RAM, I feel it's necessary if I'm to continue working at my accelerated rate and improved functionality.

This is really awesome.  Glad RAM is so comparatively cheap.  Boss was being his normal plain spoken skeptical self while talking about it, and then when I gave him an estimate of RAM being like $20-$25 per 1GB stick, he replies "$#!+ I can get you that, no problem man.  I'll shoot an email to <IT guy> in a minute"

lol  that was easy...

Bob Garner

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »
James,

Are you using the flash drives in the "Enhanced for Ready Boost" mode?  (I'm still lernin' this stuff.)

JCTER

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »
James,

Are you using the flash drives in the "Enhanced for Ready Boost" mode?  (I'm still lernin' this stuff.)

Got no flash drives on this beast.  It's got good old fashioned detroit iron RAM and spinnin Hard Drive.  None of that turbocharged rice burner stuff.

...if that answers your question lol.