Author Topic: New to VB.NET  (Read 2370 times)

ScottBolton

New to VB.NET
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:12:18 AM »
[Copied from the VB(A) forum]
Chaps,

I'm completely new to VB.NET (though I'm a novice with VBA) and also new to posting in this forum although I've visited a few times before so, "Howdy!".

Can somebody please point me in the right direction with a couple of examples so that I can get my head around the way VB.NET works (in AutoCAD 2008)?

Example 1: Create a new layer "Test", change the color to "Red". Maybe check for the layer's presence and color first...? Now draw a line from '(0 0 0) to a point picked by the user - showing the rubber band between the two.

Example 2: Search for a block "hfd" and then an attribute in it called "tek". Get the final four characters of the contents, convert this to an integer, add 1, convert it back to text and substitute the part of the original text with this new part. Basically I'm incrementing a drawing number.

Both are incredibly simple in LISP (so why not stick with it?!) but it's time to see what VB.NET can do!

S

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
Re: New to VB.NET
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:34:14 AM »
These are not really examples to convince someone to change to .NET from Lisp.

It's like taking a hugh truck to bring an envelope to someone, just to see why a truck is better than a bike :-)
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:43:54 AM »
Scott
There are hundreds of samples of effective VB and C# Managed code illustrating examples similar to your wishes.

Have a look at this for a start
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=32381.0

by the time you get through those you should be able to decide to use vb or c# or Stay with Lisp (which btw is still a pretty viable choice if wou don't intend to do any general App programming) :)
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

ScottBolton

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:10:30 AM »

It's like taking a hugh truck to bring an envelope to someone, just to see why a truck is better than a bike :-)

True, and I hope to be able to move more than a single envelope with my truck, but at least I'd see how to turn the engine on.

ScottBolton

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:03 AM »
Scott
There are hundreds of samples of effective VB and C# Managed code illustrating examples similar to your wishes.

Have a look at this for a start
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=32381.0

by the time you get through those you should be able to decide to use vb or c# or Stay with Lisp (which btw is still a pretty viable choice if wou don't intend to do any general App programming) :)

Thanks, Kerry. I'll have a look at these...

S

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 06:22:49 AM »

True, and I hope to be able to move more than a single envelope with my truck, but at least I'd see how to turn the engine on.

I enjoy 'Dueling Analogies'
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »

I enjoy 'Dueling Analogies'

Its like going to a trade show just to turn on a vehicle with an engine thats bigger than your entire car.  Now *thats* fun.   :mrgreen:
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}